“Nicer Marriott hotel”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
Shaker Heights, OH
“Nicer Marriott hotel”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a quick getaway on points. Higher-end Marriott property with a beautiful lobby and an accommodating staff. Rooms were nice. Location is kind of odd- it's in an office building complex, but it was quiet and clean. I've been a Gold or Platinum member for several years, so they put me on the concierge level, but the concierge room was closed (before we arrived- friday at 4). Considering that, it wasn't really an upgrade. I asked about maybe getting a suite instead (on a non-club level floor), but was told it would be an extra $50 a night. That has never happened to me at a Marriott before, and I thought it was a little tacky, but whatever. We were given some breakfast vouchers, and the breakfast setup was really nice. Like i said, nice place. I'd probably come back. Would be nice if they kept the club room open at least into Friday evening.

Room Tip: Club Room open Monday-Thursday only.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Cromito,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. We appreciate your feedback regarding your experiences with our reception team. We will use your comments as a training opportunity for our team. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again soon. If I may lend any assistance with your upcoming reservations please do not hesitate to let me know.
Emily Penfold Dailey
Portfolio Reputation Manager
The Henry | Autograph Collection
P 313 441 2000 | D 313 253 4344
EDailey@greenwoodhospitality.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Ohio
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I Have always been looking for a decent hotel to stay at in the metro Detroit area and I found it. Room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. This place was impressive with nice art work leading to the elevators.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking can be a problem as the lot is small but overall did not take away from a great stay. Look forward to next years auto show and staying here again.

1 Thank Wasperator
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Wasperator,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. I am pleased that you joined us for the 2014 North American International Auto Show. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. I am so pleased that you will be joining us again next year, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The tone for this property is set by the elegant doorman who greets you upon arrival. In dress and manner he is a throwback to a more civilized time. Talking with him, I realized that this is his life-long career, not simply a job. This place was formerly a Ritz Carlton. The décor has been updated and lightened but the tone of upscale service and accommodations remains. The lobby and public areas are beautiful and the rooms were very nice. It was nice to enjoy a nice bottle of wine and dessert with friends in the bar after dinner outside the hotel. This seems to be one of the best places to stay near downtown and the airport. I also managed to get an amazing price online, of about 135 dollars a night. Even at a higher price, this place is worth the money. I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Emily D, Portfolio Reputatuion Manager at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Jeff,
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all of the design changes and artwork throughout the hotel. I will also be sure to let our pastry chefs know that their creations were perfect to end a night out. We very much look forward to welcoming you back. If there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and TripAdvisor!
Reviewed January 24, 2014

It's not easy finding a decent home in the Metro Detroit area but this is one of them! The rooms are updated and clean. The staff is very nice. The hotel restaurant has a great menu. The location is great! Best part is that I got 2 good nights of sleep due to their very comfortable beds.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Alex Mils,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed your room, with all of its distinctive amenities like The Henry Bed by Lady Americana. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel and was very impressed by it. When we showed up to check in the staff was very friendly and well dressed. It gave the hotel the appearance of a much more expensive place to stay. The workout facility was nice and had many options, all with TV's on top and complimentary head phones to listen to the program. The rooms were above average with styling and a nice modern look. The artwork all over the facility is very unique and nice change of pace from your average hotel. The only thing I suppose I could complain about was an odd smell in the hallway and on the elevator. It wasn't completely awful or overpowering, but it was noticeable. With that said, I still really enjoyed my stay and would stay here above any other hotel in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Chief Wah,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us and your feedback is an imperative tool for us to continue improving. Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel service team. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel with all of the unique décor and design and that the newly refreshed fitness center gave you some great options. Please accept my sincere apology about the off-putting smell in the elevator area. We just switched to a new signature scent "Golden Bamboo" but removed it promptly after receiving your feedback. We are deciding on a new, more mellow and welcoming scent. Any odor from our meeting space refresh is diminishing as well so we are confident you will have a perfectly fragrant return trip. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please reach out to me if I may be of any assistance with upcoming reservations.
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I first stayed at this hotel last year and had a very pleasant stay, a year later, and this hotel has improved to be even better. They certainly stay on top of things and look to immediately resolve any issue, big or small. I stayed here for the Detroit auto show this past weekend and it was the best experience I could have ever asked for.

The room had a nice view of the city, it was quiet, had a mini fridge, good size TV, thick bed comforters, internet download speeds that were super fast for a hotel (7+ Mbps), a heating system working perfectly, and the TRIA restaurant that was wonderful for breakfast. They offer a nice breakfast buffet (eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, various fruits, high quality breads, and a station for preparing you a custom omelette) which runs to noon on the weekend. Great for night owls like me. Along with the hallways of the hotel, the inside of the restaurant has various artwork throughout and is connected to a waiting room with a classic piano. A very nice touch.

The only downside of the hotel relates to the location of the self parking lot. It's a bit of a walk from the lot to the front entrance at peak periods, and feels even longer when it's super cold out. But, there is a valet service which solves that issue if you really don't want to walk.

Other than that, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Detroit / Dearborn area. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby, and it being right near the highway, makes it especially convenient. And I have to say, all the staff at the hotel, from the front desk (hats off to Domingo!) to all the restaurant servers, were just outstanding. They were always smiling, chatting with you, promptly providing you with what you needed, making you feel right at home. It's rare to find a hotel which exceeds in so many areas and I certainly look forward to my next stay at this 5 star facility!

Room Tip: As for a high floor with a view of the city. It's quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Mark,
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you back and to improve upon your last visit. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you. I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and that it was a great home base while you visited the North American International Auto Show again. We truly believe that service should be provided with one purpose in mind, to create memorable moments for you and the ones you love. We can’t wait to welcome you back.
Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed at The Henry, a Marriott Autograph Collection property, for a family event over New Year's. Our entire stay was delightful; we had a two-bedroom suite for three people. The service, from everyone from doormen to housekeeping, was exceptionally friendly and welcoming and almost always prompt and efficient.

The hotel was in the final throes of renovation so there were some ancillary areas offline, but it didn't impact our visit. The lobby is beautiful and filled with original art, which we enjoyed looking over and learning about.

We were only disappointed that the concierge area on our floor was closed during the whole of our stay. The Starbucks coffee machine was working though so we pulled chairs up and made our own self-serve hospitality room.

We enjoyed the restaurant TRIA, although got a little tired of the food over the course of six days; there was not much variation if you avoid gluten and dairy, especially at lunch, and only the one restaurant onsite. Breakfast was always excellent, and on the whole the food was very good. Service, again, was outstanding. Try the waffle fries, you've never had any like them. I think our options were limited by being there over a holiday and bad weather, they a bit behind on their reprovisioning.

There are plenty of places to eat and shop nearby, but the weather and the fact that we had a wheelchair bound person with us kept us mostly on property.

Although the 2d bedroom of our suite was expected to be handicapped accessible, it was only somewhat modified and had no provisions like a wheelchair accessible shower. Be sure to ask about this if you need a wheelchair accessible room adjoining a suite.

Our biggest problem , if you want to call it that, was in getting sufficient handtowels and washcloths for three--you may have to be persistent to get extras in the room. Not a major issue.

We'd be glad to go back, any time we're in the area.

Room Tip: We didn't have much say in picking our room since we were part of a large event. However, we we...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Emily D, Portoflio Reputation Manager at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Tex4n,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel with us. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed everything. We were truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding our hotel service team. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. I am pleased that you enjoyed the areas of the hotel that have been newly refreshed, please know that as part of this refresh we do have a number of our accessible rooms being modified with fully roll-in showers and we will be happy to provide one upon your return. Based on your feedback we will be looking to implement a new process to help us ensure that guests with linen requests upon arrival are fully replenished throughout their entire visit. We very much look forward to welcoming you and your family back.
313-253-4344
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dearborn
The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
Comfort Inn Near Greenfield Village
Edward Village Michigan
Edward Village Michigan
#12 of 18 in Dearborn

Been to The Henry, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!