“Pleasant hotel but major internet issues”

The Henry, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I just stayed here for one night for a quick business trip. I was pleasantly surprised from the moment I walked in. The lobby and rooms have a nice modern and upgraded feel. All staff I encountered were delightful and seemed like they enjoy to work at the hotel. The fitness room is quite good - a few treadmills, bikes and weights. I didn't get to use the pool but did notice they had a sauna in the ladies bathroom, which I would have loved to have taken advantage of.

Only major issue was the internet connection. I was traveling for business so wifi was of major importance to me. When I could connect to the internet, it was extremely slow. It was very unreliable and kept cutting in and out. I called the technical support line multiple times, had a technician come up, and still nothing worked. It was just highly frustrating.

I had access to the club lounge level and that at least had working internet. The club lounge is great for a quick snack/soda/coffee.

Overall a very pleasant stay and would go back, assuming the internet actually works!!

Room Tip: Room 805 had horrible internet connectivity.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lkfreema

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I waited in the Restuarant an hour for a cup of soup and a side salad. The Restuarant is called Tria. Don't waste your time. This evening I called down needing engineering to help with an issue and it has now been over an hour and no response. They are awful. I have never stayed at any hotel with service this poor. Please do not waste your time with the henry.

• Stayed: August 2012
10  Thank Carlosmaggard
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night as a little getaway from the kids. We are experienced travelers for work and pleasure, and don't have super high expectations other than a clean comfortable room to get a good night's sleep, and a pool/hot tub because we don't have one at home. We frequenly stay at Marriott properties of all kinds, and we've stayed at this location in the past when it was a Ritz Carlton hotel brand. I'll try to cover details that other travelers may be interested in.

As described by other reviews, parking is very tight as they block off most of it for events and weddings. In my opinion there's no excuse for doing this to guests, they should have event parking farther away for the short timers. Valet parking is available for $15. Loved the door man! Check in was a breeze with very friendly staff. They inquired if it was a special event for us (I said it was) but nothing happened during the stay. The lobby is small but nice, with an added art work salesman's desk. I noticed a small business center and a gift shop but did not enter. Halls and elevators are reminiscent of the Ritz with extensive moulding work, though some has been painted now. The room was adequate with a fridge, coffee & tea, wine glasses, and two robes. Bed was firm (definitely not a pillow top!) and had 6 pillows on a king size bed. The pillows were different types so it was easy to find one I liked. I woke without a backache or sore neck so that's a plus for me! Bathroom was spotless. Wifi is free but never had time to try it out. We had a delicious dinner at the restaurant TRIA, but the atmosphere doesn't match the high prices. There used to be two restaurants (casual and elegant), and now they are combined into one which includes the bar. You've got three different crowds trying to exist in one loud space and it doesn't work. Our attire was dressy and we were dining next to people in jeans shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps, and were two tables away from the noisy bar patrons coming and going. Don't skip dessert.

At 10:15pm we changed to visit the hot tub and pool, which closed at 11pm according to the sign on the fitness center. You enter through the 24 hr fitness center which was nicely equipped with cardio, free weights and some weight machines. Cold water, towels, fruit and granola bars were provided for guests. I saw a room with a sign indicating massages are available. From here you split into the mens and women's locker room to get to the pool. There is a key card entrance to the pool area and my key didn't work. A sign on that door says the pool closes at 10pm! They need to get their signage straight. We had originally intended to swim before dinner but changed our plans based on the 11pm sign. All was not lost as the men's pool door was stuck open, and a woman let me in through the ladies room as she was exiting. In retrospect we should have skipped it. The chlorine in the air was so strong that we only lasted 15 minutes before my eyes were burning and our lungs hurt. We wanted to shower before heading to the room - warning - there are no amenities available in the locker room. I had to move the hand soap from the sink into the shower stall, and use a pool towel to dry off.

The room had a lovely view and we could see downtown Detroit, Ford Headquarters and a gorgeous sunrise. Why were we up to see the sun rise on a day we could sleep in you ask? First of all, the noise carries into the rooms very well from the hall, and all the early risers woke us up. Secondly, the entire hallway smelled stale and moldy, and the ventilation system in our room just kept blowing the smell in. My husband woke with a horrendous headache as he is sensitive to molds and other environmental pollution. He was showered, dressed and ready to go home by 7:30 am. We were not able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast as planned (menu looked great) and just wanted to get out as quickly as possible. As we left the room, we saw maintenance working in another room with the carpet pulled back. Hopefully this was the cause of the offensive smell and they get it taken care of.

So in summary: Did it meet my expections? Clean and comfortable room - yes. Good night's sleep - no. Relaxing pool/hot tub experience - no.

Room Tip: Ask for a downtown view on a high floor. Inspect the room for offensive smells or allergens before...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Kachastar
Reviewed August 14, 2012

On our arrival, there was no Valet to meet us, so we parked on the side of the building. We went out to dinner and when we returned, there were no parking spaces available. The side lot probably didn't hold more than 50/60 cars. (This is a 11 story hotel) The back lot of the hotel was blocked off and we were not allowed to park there. We were told it was reserved for "a special event". We had to park in the far back parking lot of the office building across the street because if you parked near the hotel you would be ticketed. The parking here is atrocious and nearly non-existent. Where is the GUEST supposed to park? Maybe I will stay at the Hyatt down the street next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank HistoricalSights
Reviewed August 7, 2012

As a frequent visitor to Dearborn, I have always stayed at the Dearborn Inn. This time I decided to give the Henry a try. What a mistake! I had a room booked for one night for a group of 4 to accommodate my family. On the reservation, it said rooms are not guaranteed. I requested a room with two double beds on the reservation to accommodate us. I also called the hotel directly twice to make sure that the room has two beds. They assured me that they changed the reservation to a room with two double beds. When I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist who informed me that she had "upgraded" me to a room with a king sized bed. When I told her that a single bed could not accommodate 4 guests, she told me that there was nothing she could do. I asked her if she can give us a second room to accommodate us, she refused. When I asked if she will put us up at the Dearborn Inn at the same rate that we had at the reservation (by this time the Dearborn Inn only had regular rate for that night) she again refused. I asked her about the Marriott Ultimate guarantee, and she told me it does not apply as the bed type is not guaranteed. I asked to speak to her manager, and she told me that she is the manager and there is no one else to speak to. Then she stated "are you going to leave now or do you want me to call security?" She proceeded to call security. I left.
I called both the Marriott Rewards (I am a silver member) and the Marriott help line, both were useless, claiming that they can do nothing on a weekend.
I spoke to the manager of the Henry today, Mr. Joseph Shurmar, and he offered no compensation. He claims that there is no record of me calling twice to ensure a room with a double bed. He also claims calling security was quite appropriate. He claims the hotel is not at fault at all.
I have been a Marriott silver member for years, and I have to admit I have never come across a hotel with worse customer service than this one. It is a case book study on how not to treat your customers.

Room Tip: Stay somwhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
18  Thank TorontoMusicman
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hotel perfect for Business, outside of Detroit, next to a Mall. Easy to get there from the airport.
(around 35 minutes)
Area around hotel only for business - no private stay. Nothing for tourists !!!
All you need after business hours you find in the Mall - food court, a Hollister store....
Hotel staff really friendly !!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MichaelMiles30
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Wow!, What a surprise, this place was amazing from Tracey at the front desk to Mark who should be the PR person for The Henry, to Tria which we camped out at for lunch and dinner ( so much for getting off campus) The people are so proud of the hotel and they should be.. You can't believe the art they have in each room and all over the hotel... ( Peter Max was the theme for 11th floor , all real deals hanging for your purchase. We will be back , only suggestion is please update the gym.. needs to reflect the rest of the property..
Best,
Tom

Room Tip: 10th and 11th floor great! Art is amazing
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business