“It's fine, but "luxurious?" No.”

The Henry, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
San Francisco, California
“It's fine, but "luxurious?" No.”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is a former Ritz-Carlton remodeled and re-branded for Marriott's Autograph Collection. I originally stayed here in mid-2011 before the rooms were remodeled and then, it looked like what it was: an old, outdated Ritz-Carlton - the rooms were hideous. I returned in late 2011 (after the remodel) and, again, this past week. The hotel is OK - nothing particular outstanding about it. I like it for its location (close to relatives) and to the Ford Museum. The rooms are, indeed, updated, but they're not exactly luxurious, but more mid-level comfortable than anything else. If you've ever been to an older Ritz-Carlton, you'll notice some branding remnants from that former incarnation: the dark, wood-paneled elevator, the gold trim along the walls of the open spaces, and common (older) Ritz furniture pieces in some of the public spaces. The remodeled room was fine. The carpet (in my opinion) makes the room look mid-grade: it looks inexpensive and the color and design are less than inviting. The bed was comfortable and clean, the desk was large, the bathroom was clean, and there were enough towels. Room service was spotty as it always it is in hotels. I was over-charged on the first order and the chicken was over-cooked and, as a result, bone dry. The second order was better and turned out fine. I didn't interact much with the staff, but the room service attendants were friendly and accommodating. Kudos to housekeeping: they did a fine job in servicing the room and they respected the "do not disturb" sign. Check-in was fast and efficient as well as check-out. Self-parking was free, but on this visit, parking was challenging as there was a wedding reception taking place at the hotel on my first night. The fitness center was and is acceptable for what it is: small, but decent for this price point and since I was the only one in the gym at any given time, it was fine. Overall, the hotel is acceptable. Considering the other options in the neighboring and surrounding area, I'm not sure you're going to do much better. (Detroit and its suburbs have a lot of outdated and not very clean hotels.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Apollo P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Excellent customer service. My husband and I and our two kids are in Michigan to visit the Henry Ford Museam and Greenfield Village. We chose to stay at the Henry Hotel based on the reviews from TripAdvisor. The reviews are accurate and this is the #1 hotel in Dearborn. Very pleased. We typically stay at a Marriott and this trip was no exception. As a former Ritz Carlton, this place has it all!

Room Tip: In this particular hotel, a room on the upper level would be best for the view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you need a hotel in the Detroit area, you cannot beat The Henry in Dearborn. It's located within minutes of all the terrific Ford estate venues (The Henry museum, Greenfield Village, etc) and close to the Southfield Freeway so reasonable drive time to almost everywhere in the area. The property itself is extremely well done, especially for a popular priced hotel -- it's a great vallue! Above all else, the service is extraordinary. There is lots of it and the employees go out of their way to provide creative and sincere help. The menu in their bar and grill restaurant is innovative (though not crazy; you won't duplicate their taste sensations anywhere) and also reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Didn't try the pool or exercise facilities but they looked great.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay very much, food at the lobby restaurant was delicious at a far price, rooms were very nicely appointed, the staff are very attentive and sincere.

• Stayed July 2012
Lafayette, LA
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Superior customer service! The best staff. Great location. Great food. Take a moment to fill out the "certificates" of recognition for the employees. We were greeted by the front desk every afternoon that we returned. Diana was especially helpful and basically had "all the answers".
The doorman was very personable and gave us good advice on restaurants...Buddy's Pizza!!!
My wife and I also enjoyed the art collection.
20 minutes from the airport, 10 minutes to The Henry Ford.
Thanks to The Henry for a pleasant and memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael J
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I've stayed at The Henry several times on business and always had a consistently positive experience. The staff exhibit a high level of professionalism and are genuinely friendly and eager to help. Rooms are well-appointed and clean, and the beds are very comfortable. Food in the restaurant is pretty good and it's a nice environment in which to relax. The club floor offers a good selection for breakfast, complimentary snacks and newspapers - it's nice to be able to run in and grab a bottle of water or soda if you get thirsty. One thing that sets this Marriott apart is the original artwork throughout the lobby and public areas of the hotel, which is nice to spend some time viewing if you've got some time to kill. There's a small shop onsite that sells sundries. Conference facilities are very good, and their catering is excellent. The Henry is within close driving distance to the terrific Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village; Ford Estate on tis he other side of the neighboring Fairlane mall. You can walk to the mall from the hotel across a vast, sprawling, empty parking lot if you want. Other than that, there's nothing in the area to walk to - even the nearby Hyatt seems like it's miles away. Due to its isolation, you really do need to have a car, or be there for an onsite meeting or business meeting at a nearby company. I found wifi to be a bit on the weak side but probably due to the sheer number of people trying to access it during a large conference. The workout center is also quite small - rather than use one of the uninviting wall-facing treadmills, I opted to go outside. Anyway, if you're there for business or a specific purpose, I think it's a great hotel. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic getaway though - just too isolated for my taste.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed here after getting a nice deal from Hotwire. I believe the hotel was re-branded from Ritz-Carlton to The Henry, Autograph Collection. The room was clean, linens soft and mattress comfortable. It took us less than ten minutes to get to the Henry Ford Museum. There is plenty of art to view throughout the hotel which was an added bonus. We didn't use any of the ammenities such as the fitness center or pool so I'm only rating the hotel on the room, restaurant and service. Self-parking was free although I was quite surprised at the valet's behavior. We pulled up to the front door and I was getting ready to exit the car to grab the luggage in order to register. The valet asked if we wanted valet parking and I said no, but thank you. He grabbed my partially-open door and slammed it shut, pointing us to the self-park area and blocking my exit from our car. I snapped my foot back into the car just in time as he didn't seem to care that my leg was already out of the car! He stood there and wouldn't let me get out of the car to bring my luggage inside. I was shocked, so I said nothing and my husband drove around to the self-parking area. This was the only reason I rated this hotel four instead of five stars. This really is inexcusable although everyone has a bad day now and then. That aside, we did eat in the hotel's restaurant and enjoyed the food very much. We had the hummus appetizer, salad, cheese burger and two different risotto dishes. The mushroom risotto in particular was my favorite dish. The servings were very large which made the prices reasonable. I would definitely stay here again although I would not accept the valet's behaviour a second time (and am surprised at myself for accepting it last time). I believe the Hotwire rate was around eighty dollars and was well worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dearborn
The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
Comfort Inn Near Greenfield Village
Edward Village Michigan
Edward Village Michigan
#13 of 18 in Dearborn

Been to The Henry, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!