“Good . . . but it needs some help from Anthony Melchiorri from "Hotel Impossible."”

The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at the Dearborn Inn as part of our tour in mid-June. Our room in the concierge section was very comfortable and adequate. The food in the dining room was very good; had our breakfasts and dinners there. No complaints. However, when we walked the property one afternoon, we discovered that two of the buildings (free-standing and not attached to the main hotel building) in the pool area were in deplorable condition. One building used to be hotel rooms and is now being used for hotel storage and the other is still hotel rooms. There are black shutters hanging from the windows of these buildings . . . and when I say hanging, that's exactly what I mean. They were in need of painting and being reattached to the building. You could see through the windows of the building being used for storage. The pool definitely needs some tender loving care. The landscaping around these aforementioned areas is beautiful, but hotel management should take a walk around this property and make some needed improvements.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Made reservation about 3-4 weeks prior to arrival, wanted a king bed, did not realize it was king, queen or twin beds hotel choice, got queen. room was nice. young kid tried to intimidate me when I parked in front of hotel like I should not be parking there, I advised him I was registering. Very nice hotel, very professional. We ate at the resturant that night, not great but OK

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Dearborn Inn is a beautiful old property, well maintained and close to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. We had a suite in the Concierge section, which was disappointing - most suites we've stayed in have a separate room for the bedroom with an adjoining sitting room. This was just a larger L-shaped room with poorly arranged furnishings and only one window for the bigger space. The cable TV system was not operating properly and was repaired on our fourth day (a cable operator problem, but the hotel management didn't resolve it quickly). Towels were thin and threadbare in spots. Toilet seat covers didn't match the size of the bowl...you get the picture. Attention to small details seemed to be missing. The Concierge hospitality room was closed on the weekend, so not a good thing for couples and families. The property has a large swimming pool, but the tennis courts had no nets and weeds were growing through the asphalt rendering them unusable. Staff was friendly and helpful.

There is a wonderful outside courtyard off the main lobby which has underutilized potential - with no waitress service we had to order our drinks at the bar and carry them outside. Reservations are mostly required for breakfast given the large wedding crowds on the weekends.

The rooms are ready for a needed update. Despite these nits, would still recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't book Concierge rooms for weekend days.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

We took a weekend trip in February up to Dearborn to visit The Henry Ford Museum and we stayed here at the Dearborn Inn. I wasn't aware that Henry Ford had built the Inn. It was very nice, clean and well preserved. The lobby was very welcoming. We stayed in a regular room on the Concierge level. We were very happy with our choice and it's very convenient to everything. The museum itself probably isn't more than a .5 mile away.

Room Tip: They have specialty rooms and even neat cabins behind the Inn, but we stayed in a regular room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jeff r
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We loved our stay at the Deaborn on a recent family vacation. We were prepared to stay there because it's within walking distance to Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village so it was a bonus to have the hotel itself be such a delight. Wonderful grounds. The lobby was simply beautiful. We loved the big pool which from the size was obviously built long ago before pools started putting in little postage stamp size ones. It was very hot while we were there so we gave it a lot of use. We had the breakfast buffet sitting by one of the beautiful old arched windows. Rooms were nice, comfortable bedding, all you could ask for. A plus was the nearby biking trail. I biked to Henry Ford estate which while very nice is going to undergo a renovation and I will want to come back to see it once that's done. It should be spectacular.

My only negative was the fire going in the lobby. I'm sure it was for ambiance and I'd have loved it on a cold winters day but the environmentalist in me cringed at wasting gas when it's July and 93 degrees outside. Other than that one small thing, a very great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Extremely nice hotel, landscaping beautiful, breakfast buffet great on weekedays, extra special for Sunday brunch. Locals enjoy this on weekends so you need reservations. You can easily spend 2-3 days seeing the attractions within a few miles. I would suggest a day at Greenfield Village, taking time for meals at the neat restaurants, at least a half day at The Henry Ford museum and another 3 hours at the Ford Rouge Assembly plant. Shuttles available for all of these just ask conceirge. Limo available for airport as well as print-out service for boarding passes.

Room Tip: Concierge level didn't offer many additional amenities
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margery G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I recently attended a friend’s wedding at the Dearborn Inn and will give a review of both the wedding venue (for anyone who might be planning a wedding), and the room itself. I work at a hotel in downtown Washington DC so my expectations are different from the average traveler, but I also overlook the pettier/more trivial things that can potentially upset a normal traveler (after all, I know how life is on the other side of the desk).

First, the room (315) itself was very large, at least compared with most hotels I’ve stayed at. The bed was RIDICULOUSLY comfortable; as someone who has travelled to more than two dozen countries, it was easily the best bed I’ve ever slept in. The room features black & white photos and color sketches of Henry Ford and early Ford models; very nice and interesting. There is a large desk and work area, complete with Ethernet and extra cables so you don’t have to call for those. They apparently offer mini refrigerators too because I was asked if I wanted one by Housekeeping minutes after checking in The bathroom itself was quite small; honestly I think a larger person might have difficulty moving around in it. The bathtub is quite deep, allowing for a nice bath if that’s your cup of tea. I ordered room service (All-American breakfast), and the food was VERY good and plentiful. The two young ladies who delivered it were nice and upbeat. My only real qualm about the room was the amount of dust on the desk and nightstands. As someone who works in a hotel, it leads me to believe that the room had not been occupied for a while rather than negligent housekeeping.

The lobby itself is very handsome. Wonderful (and comfortable!) furniture, nice paintings, fireplace etc. The sun room and back lawn are equally attractive, practical, and comfortable. All the areas were well maintained.

The wedding took place on the lawn behind the building in the gazebo. The set up was very nice. The only negative thing to say about it was the weather, which of course, no one can control. There are some old fashioned houses on the back property as well. I didn’t go inside any of them, but they look very attractive from the outside. For anyone considering having a wedding here, I would definitely advise you to do so. My only caution would be to keep in mind that the airport is near and you can hear planes flying overhead. At my friend’s wedding, we missed the actual exchange of vows due to the noise.

As for the staff, those at check-in were neutral, but thankfully not scripted. They did offer to charge my phone which I greatly appreciated, however. The check-out staff was excellent; very natural and friendly (unfortunately didn’t get the names). And again, the room service staff was great as well. The banquet staff was GREAT! Very friendly and highly interactive which myself and everyone at my table appreciated.

Overall, the Dearborn Inn is a great hotel. I wouldn’t even have to think twice about what hotel I would stay at if I were in the area again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo