“Solid Hotel...But not 4*”

Edward Village Michigan
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Solid Hotel...But not 4*”
Reviewed February 2, 2010

My overall opinion of this hotel is that it should be a 3* hotel. Nothing really horrible to complain about but nothing great either. The hotel is trying to look very modern on the outside and lobby. But the rooms are the same as every other Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn I have stayed at. The decorations are very plain with a tube television and small bathroom. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows and comforter were down. Therefore the pillows are flat and the comforter is too hot.
We ate the breakfast buffet at the Italian restaurant and that was very good. Everything was fresh and the service was friendly. A little expensive but not too bad.
Our biggest complaint was that the walls are extremely thin. We could hear everything in the rooms next to us. And I dont just mean the TV or when they used the plumbing. It is to the extent that I could hear when they turned over in bed or moved something on the nightstand. And every word they said was crystal clear as if they were in the room with us. I have never experienced this before and I have stayed at some pretty cruddy hotels when I was younger.
Also they are weirdly stingy with the towels. One day they gave us one towel, no washclothes.
On a posative note the service was very good and freindly. Every need we had was addressed very quickly.
Overall I would stay at this hotel again. Especially for the rate I paid for it on Priceline.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LCFTAK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed January 21, 2010

There were 1,000 kids staying at this hotel when we went. While I understand they need to fill rooms during this economy I can't understand why they put up with such horrible behavior from these guests, they should have more security instead of trusting the adults with the group to control the kids. Children were not supervised, at any time you would see kids going up and down elevators, yelling for each other across the lobby or to other floors, running in the halls and over taking the hot tub and pool. The parents, coaches and "chaperones" of these kids partied it up in the lounge at night while no one watched over the children running around. I guess they don't watch the news of predators taking children. Huge liability to the hotel!
I was given a king room and cot for my 9 year old even though I booked a double room. All the doubles I'm sure were snatched up early in the day by the buses of hockey teams. I did book Priceline so I'm sure that's why I didn't get the room requested. This is suppose to be a 4 star hotel, I would give it a 3. New carpet & bedding doesn't cover up the fact the hotel needs renovation. The feather pillows & bedding are flat, no flat screen tv's, old tile in bathroom and burn holes in my sheets.
The hotel does allow smoking and the lobby stinks of smoke but my non-smoking room was clean and did not smell of smoke. Housekeeping did a wonderful job, honoring my requests for more towels & pillows quickly.
The restaurant had the typical over priced food and my eggs came to me a little cold one morning along with burnt toast. The coffee bar Perks in the lobby is a better choice, with plenty of yummy pastries and nice person behind the counter.
Parking was free and it's right across the street from Fairlane Mall with PF Changs & Bravo on one side that I could see. We had dinner at PF Changs one evening, the service and food was great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
London, UK
Reviewed January 21, 2010

The brochure and web collateral promise a lot, but:

-Regency Club closed
-No Breakfast buffet, just a-la-carte (with a long line / wait rendering it useless)
-Ground floor small coffee corner closed
-$5 for a bottle of water in the room
-Pool not more than a plunge pool
-Gym consists of 2 running machines and 2 other cardio machines

Only good thing: the bed is very comfortable

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Pro-Flyer
Toronto
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Booked a room with two double beds for two adults and two small children for a hockey tournament. When we arrived they gave us a king bed with a cot. We said we have TWO children so they said they woud put another cot in the room. They acknowledged this was against Hyatt regulations and violated fire codes. Even though we had written confirmation of the room they said the confirmation does not guarantee the type of room just a room. Interesting,.. and meaning that if I booked the $695/night suite, that rm would not have been guaranteed and they would not have given me back my money.
I was appalled by the attitude and service of the front desk manager. After negotiation with the team coordinator they changed the room the next night and called us to comp the breakfast. Wouldnt have eaten there anyway, $45 for 2 adults and 2 children to eat some cereal, scrambled eggs and white toast. Yuck. Map quest einstein's nearby for delicious egg sandwiches and coffee for $17 for 4. Had to stay an extra night because son team got into the playoffs, and took my business to Marriott Dearborn which was fantastic. Service impleccable, staff friendly smoke free. Beds the best. BTW the Hyatt stinks of smoke the minute you step foot NEAR the entrance. ANd they allow cigar smoke in the bar. A good thing to say: the bell staff and front door staff very friendly, even made comments about mgt so something must be going on?!?

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 6, 2010

however the hotel was a 5 star the room sucked. there was just a bed and tv nothing else no microwave no frige what a crappy 5 star hotel

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lordlex
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The hotel is right next to Fairlane shopping center with 3 huge anchor tenant there (Macy’s, JC Penny, Sears) and there are many good restaurants around. And its only 6miles from Detroit. Overall it appear to be a safe neighborhood to me.

The hotel is the only high rise in the area so it looks impressive with all the all-glass façade.

Was given a room on the club floor and it’s very nice, clean and well-kept. Furniture looks new to me and we had a little bonus surprise on 11 Dec 09 night. A 20-mins glittering and spectacular fireworks display right out of our west-facing windows!

I did left a little comment about their indifferent doormen and valet in their online survey and the general manager wrote back quickly and apologize about it and promised to take steps to correct the situation. Thumbs up!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
jacksonville fl
Reviewed December 29, 2009

When we stahyed here we were dissappointed. We found a bloody sock by the pool. The room was ok but dark and dreary. When we returned from dinner there were people screaming in the lobby in a different language. I would note they were not screamin at us. Very dissappointed.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family