“NOTHING ABOUT OUR STAY SAID 4 STAR LUXURY”

Edward Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
GreenLeadersGold level
COLOMA
“NOTHING ABOUT OUR STAY SAID 4 STAR LUXURY”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband I booked this hotel for a special weekend getaway. We normally do not stay at 4 star properties but economy or mid level. We booked on a website called booking.com the advance paid rate, now I manage hotels for a living and know to read the policy's of the rates I am booking, the website was explicit that my credit card would be charged at the time of booking, I normally do not book this type of rate but we were amazed at the 50% discount being offered, after observing the hotel had over 700 rooms at the end of the winter season in Michigan I didn't run scared. I should have. The staff was friendly and corteous, but at check in I was asked for my payment, of course I pulled up my confirmation that said it was to have been paid for days ago, they insisted that they did not have payment so before checking with a lousy data connection standing in the lobby I had to check my credit card account on my phone, because I was not going to pay twice. I did not find the charge so check in proceeded, they seriously need to work on this if they say they are charging at booking it should have been handled that way.

Next the public area's carpet is worn and separating at the seams, the pool floor is actually crumbling, the hot tub needs work as well.

The website said we were booking a King suite and showed a picture of a room with a king bed, flat screen tv, and sofa, microwave and refrigerator. This was not what we got. We got a King bed with an old fashoined tv no sofa, no refrigerator, no microwave, one desk and chair and an arm chair. Not what I booked. The amenities in the room were minimal at best, one shampoo, no conditioner, one hand soap three bath towels two hand towels and one wash cloth that were of the same quality and size as a Super 8, I expected nice large fluffy towels, I also expected a hair dryer in the bathroom, my husband did finally locate one on the shelf in the closet, with the cord coiled up all around it.

We heard the elevators going up and down all night they were very very noisy. The sheets came off the bed due to the fact that a "4 Star" hotel couldn't spring for fitted sheets. We checked in around 4 pm and a room service tray was in the hallway it didn't get picked up before we turned in for the night around midnight. Their was not complimentary breakfast at all and room service pricing was like going to the a fine dining establishment $8.00 for a pot of coffee is outrageous, not to mention $5.00 for a bottle of Aquafina, it wasn't even sparking water. The comfort control system needs work it was set at 76 degrees when we checked in, overly warm so we turned it down to 66, it was still 74 when we checked out.

I would have been seriously ticked off if I had paid full price, we have stayed in Super 8's with the same amenities for $30.00 less per night, with the same quality of room. Remember I got the room for under $100.00.

Overall we were disappointed this was not a 4 star experience except in prices.

Room Tip: Stay at a Super 8, you'll get the same quality and a free breakfast
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great views from the rooms, awesome restaurant, nice pool/spa/gym room. Awesome staff. I did not care to have to pay to send faxes. I'm there for business. Everything else was great...............................................................................................

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mitch H
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Love the idea of an eco friendly hotel! This hotel has a giant INDOOR pool for the kids! Adoba is upgrading this property and doing it in a way that is environmentally sound. Great idea. Rates were a good value for the property. The breakfast buffet was quite the spread. I didn't realize it was there until the 2nd day - but it's worth a stop.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Txnbybirth
Grandville, Michigan
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My son's hockey team often plays tournaments where teams are required to stay in a designated hotel. By the time we signed up for his most recent tourney, this was the only remaining designated hotel available. There are many good reason it was last picked. The Adoba is rated as a 4-star, but really, it is a 2-star with lipstick. As other reviewers mentioned, the entire weekend was spent navigating our way in and out of the hotel through a cloud of smoke due to the myriad people smoking just outside the doors. It was terrible! There were 2 conferences taking place that weekend (plus 4 hockey teams), but it seemed there were never any more than 2 (out of 6) elevators working at any given time - at one point, we only had 1 elevator. It's kind of hard to ask your kid to lug his hockey bag down 7 flights of stairs! The room was clean, but dated. There was plenty of room to upgrade to queen beds, so I don't understand why the hotel had not updated at least some rooms to queens. The bathroom had no exhaust fan, so after my shower, while drying my hair and applying makeup, the condensation on the ceiling would drip on me. On our second night, the boys (ages 10 & 11) were making a Harlem Shake video in the hallway at 9:00 p.m. Security came up and told us they were being too loud and had to stop. Really? First, it was prior to "quiet hours." Second, they can enforce the "rules" on a bunch of kids, but they can't flex some muscle on the people smoking and stinking up the entire entry and lobby?

The promotional material states they are trying to be a boutique hotel with large chain benefits. My impression is that this is a Super 8 in a Hyatt shell.

1 Thank vanderbv
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I felt completely annoyed by just about every aspect of my experience with Adoba Hotel.
1. I tried to call and ask about different room amenities since the website offers NO information. Was put on hold for 8 minutes the first time, I called back and asked nicely if I could please not be put on hold again - the women on the line rudely told me that they have "all kinds of rooms" when I said "great..." and was about to ask a follow up question, she hung up on me!
2. Get to hotel - About 100 people are smoking at the front door and the entire hotel reeked. This did not let up the entire weekend. Disgusting.
3. Check in - Lots of people waiting in line while 3 receptionists took their time, no effort to move people through efficiently.
4. Elevators - slowest ever with about 500 people milling around at any one time trying to get on.
5. Room was disappointing - since I didn't get to ask about what the rooms included! And they were old and a nasty smell permeated our room. Double beds instead of Queens. I called to ask for a cot since I knew my kids would have a fit if they tried to share a small double bed. Was told I wasnt' allowed to have one with 2 beds. ???? Was not even offered to have an upcharge to put one in the room. Really? So much for customer service
6. TV remote worked 50% of the time - no one at the front desk seemed to care about getting us a replacement or new batteries although we asked.
7. No refridgerator or microwave - again questions I had wanted to ask about
8. Coffee maker in the room was a joke. To make that worse, when I had to leave early both mornings of my stay, the coffee shop wasn't open!!! ????
9. No attention to detail here: peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, trays left in hallways for hours
10. Bar shut down early because "no one was there" - Hello, I guess myself and the 8 people I was with were "no one".
11. You have to actually go down to the desk and check out. They can't even manage to print off receipts at night and leave them under your door like every other hotel I have EVER been to.
This place needs a new manager who cares about customer service!
The only good things I can say are that the water pressure was wonderful and the kids enjoyed the pool.
Do yourself a favor and find another place to stay in Dearborn.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
Portage
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel is far from the Hyatt quality. Its a low budget hotel charging 4 star prices. We had to change rooms as our first room the bathroom was absolutely filthly. There were unidenfiable objects in the bath tub. The rooms were inadequately supplied. We had 2 adults and 2 children in the room and supplied 1 roll of toliet paper, 4 towels and 1 washcloth. There was a convention the weekend we were there and at any given time there were 50 to 100 smokers standing at the front entrance smoking. We complained numerous times to management about the haze we had to walk through to get into the hotel and were told "there is nothing they could do." Talked to security about the smoking issue and they told us it wasn't their responsibility.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1 Thank Liz E
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel staff was very courteous & nice. Room was clean, loved comfort of bed. Sheets & comfortable so cozy. What I didn't like was checking my credit card information when I got home and saw an additional $50 charge. When I called hotel, they informed me they do this for any 'possible' charges I may have incurred while staying there and if I didn't use my account would be credited. WATCH WHAT YOU SIGN AS IT IS ON FORM WHEN YOU CHECK IN. What I didn't like was no one pointed this out so SURPRISE when you look on your account. While I'm sure I will receive credit, do not like this kind of surprise. Shame on me for not reading what I was signing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo