“Lipstick on a Pig”

Edward Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My son's hockey team often plays tournaments where teams are required to stay in a designated hotel. By the time we signed up for his most recent tourney, this was the only remaining designated hotel available. There are many good reason it was last picked. The Adoba is rated as a 4-star, but really, it is a 2-star with lipstick. As other reviewers mentioned, the entire weekend was spent navigating our way in and out of the hotel through a cloud of smoke due to the myriad people smoking just outside the doors. It was terrible! There were 2 conferences taking place that weekend (plus 4 hockey teams), but it seemed there were never any more than 2 (out of 6) elevators working at any given time - at one point, we only had 1 elevator. It's kind of hard to ask your kid to lug his hockey bag down 7 flights of stairs! The room was clean, but dated. There was plenty of room to upgrade to queen beds, so I don't understand why the hotel had not updated at least some rooms to queens. The bathroom had no exhaust fan, so after my shower, while drying my hair and applying makeup, the condensation on the ceiling would drip on me. On our second night, the boys (ages 10 & 11) were making a Harlem Shake video in the hallway at 9:00 p.m. Security came up and told us they were being too loud and had to stop. Really? First, it was prior to "quiet hours." Second, they can enforce the "rules" on a bunch of kids, but they can't flex some muscle on the people smoking and stinking up the entire entry and lobby?

The promotional material states they are trying to be a boutique hotel with large chain benefits. My impression is that this is a Super 8 in a Hyatt shell.

1  Thank vanderbv
Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I felt completely annoyed by just about every aspect of my experience with Adoba Hotel.
1. I tried to call and ask about different room amenities since the website offers NO information. Was put on hold for 8 minutes the first time, I called back and asked nicely if I could please not be put on hold again - the women on the line rudely told me that they have "all kinds of rooms" when I said "great..." and was about to ask a follow up question, she hung up on me!
2. Get to hotel - About 100 people are smoking at the front door and the entire hotel reeked. This did not let up the entire weekend. Disgusting.
3. Check in - Lots of people waiting in line while 3 receptionists took their time, no effort to move people through efficiently.
4. Elevators - slowest ever with about 500 people milling around at any one time trying to get on.
5. Room was disappointing - since I didn't get to ask about what the rooms included! And they were old and a nasty smell permeated our room. Double beds instead of Queens. I called to ask for a cot since I knew my kids would have a fit if they tried to share a small double bed. Was told I wasnt' allowed to have one with 2 beds. ???? Was not even offered to have an upcharge to put one in the room. Really? So much for customer service
6. TV remote worked 50% of the time - no one at the front desk seemed to care about getting us a replacement or new batteries although we asked.
7. No refridgerator or microwave - again questions I had wanted to ask about
8. Coffee maker in the room was a joke. To make that worse, when I had to leave early both mornings of my stay, the coffee shop wasn't open!!! ????
9. No attention to detail here: peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, trays left in hallways for hours
10. Bar shut down early because "no one was there" - Hello, I guess myself and the 8 people I was with were "no one".
11. You have to actually go down to the desk and check out. They can't even manage to print off receipts at night and leave them under your door like every other hotel I have EVER been to.
This place needs a new manager who cares about customer service!
The only good things I can say are that the water pressure was wonderful and the kids enjoyed the pool.
Do yourself a favor and find another place to stay in Dearborn.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel is far from the Hyatt quality. Its a low budget hotel charging 4 star prices. We had to change rooms as our first room the bathroom was absolutely filthly. There were unidenfiable objects in the bath tub. The rooms were inadequately supplied. We had 2 adults and 2 children in the room and supplied 1 roll of toliet paper, 4 towels and 1 washcloth. There was a convention the weekend we were there and at any given time there were 50 to 100 smokers standing at the front entrance smoking. We complained numerous times to management about the haze we had to walk through to get into the hotel and were told "there is nothing they could do." Talked to security about the smoking issue and they told us it wasn't their responsibility.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1  Thank Liz E
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel staff was very courteous & nice. Room was clean, loved comfort of bed. Sheets & comfortable so cozy. What I didn't like was checking my credit card information when I got home and saw an additional $50 charge. When I called hotel, they informed me they do this for any 'possible' charges I may have incurred while staying there and if I didn't use my account would be credited. WATCH WHAT YOU SIGN AS IT IS ON FORM WHEN YOU CHECK IN. What I didn't like was no one pointed this out so SURPRISE when you look on your account. While I'm sure I will receive credit, do not like this kind of surprise. Shame on me for not reading what I was signing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My family and I had a great stay in this Hotel. Great Breakfast with friendly staff, which helps with grumpy kids :) Will stay with this Hotel again and againhe . The City of Dearborn has some great history for the kids to learn and take back to their school.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I drove in 14 hrs and the Reservations Manager, Tammy, assisted me when I got lost. Her kindness, courtesy & brilliance shined throughout my trip. I had a problem with my room & without hesitation, she upgraded me & made it worth my while to stay 2 extra days. This was huge for me to stay near the Detroit area like this yet this was a Hyatt Regency so elegance, amenities with great food was the experience . The staff is Superb with most of them being there for at least 30+years so they were very knowledgeable & pleasant about anything that I asked. Tony & Sara on the front desk joyfully supported all my questions. I am not easy to please yet this hotel stood out for me and I hope it will for you. --AskDrVictoria

Room Tip: The morning brunch, food and service, are Fabulous!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Breakfast was good, comfortable bed but not the cleanest of rooms and was quite run down. Quite a good gym. Probably would not stay again. Staff were friendly and helpful.

No bar or liquor license by the way!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business