Edward Hotel & Conference Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Fitness center
1,064 results
All reviewsgiulio sonshyatt regencyfairlane mallshopping malldearborn areagreenfield villageford museumdetroitmi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my sisters for girls weekend. The hotel lobby was very impressive and the clerks at registration were extremely competent. My only concern with this hotel was that you could tell it needed new carpet in the halls and rooms. The carpet was bunching or rolling up in places and was threadbare in others. The room accomodations were good. The beds were comfortable and there was very little noise heard outside. The bathroom was too small!!! I bent over to pull up my pants and hit my head on the sink! (LOL) One nice ammenity was that the second sink was outside of the bathroom so one of us could be showering while the other was putting on makeup etc. outside of the bath. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I really don't think one area of this hotel would be better than another. It didn't strike me that there would be a problem with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2012

After reading a review below from Peter S, I have to write a rebuttal as his description of the hotel, mall, area is completely exaggerated. I have lived in the Detroit Metroplitan area for my whole life (I am 31) and while some areas of the metropolitan area have certaintly deteriorated, especially as the area fell on rough economic times throughout the 2000s, things are NOT in dire straits in Dearborn or in the area immediately surrounding the Hyatt. Yes, once you cross the border into the city of Detroit, there are some rough patches in the neighborhoods. However these areas are NOT within a reasonable walking distance from the hotel so most travelers will not experience them. In fact, downtown West Deaborn has become a hot and trendy hangout for nightlife and is only about a three minute drive from the hotel.

The clientele at the mall has changed but it has not become the warzone that Peter describes. There are policies in place to control things and a curfew for teenagers which has helped control the riff raff. Yes, Lord and Taylor and Saks has closed but a new movie theatre, P.F. Changs, Bravo Italian Cucina, new Benihana and huge H&M store have all opened in the last several years (to name a few). Yes, the Ritz Carlton closed but The Henry Hotel, part of Marriott's Autograph collection has reopened in its place and just underwent a major renovation.

The hotel's common areas and grounds are still beautiful to this day. The hotel's interior spaces are still elegant and very impressive. The hotel underwent a major renovation in 2002 so while the rooms have become a little stale looking, the overall common areas are by no means falling apart. My feelings are that the hotel's common areas reflect a three and a half to four star rating but the rooms are more of a two and half to three star rating.

To conclude, if you are looking for a four star hotel room, this is not your place. However if you are looking for a decent room in a good location in a beautiful facility, check this place out.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bryan22
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was my first time to the Detroit area and it was great. When we arrived we were greeted by Chris and he informed us of all the hotel amenities. He was very attentive and knowledgeable, providing us with GREAT directions to local restaurants and venues. He gave us printed out step by step directions that made it super easy to get around. And gave great suggestions on places in the area to visit/eat. Even though the hotel was very busy all weekend due to weddings and reunions, I didn't feel any lack of service. Chris made us feel at home and like we were at a 5 star hotel! His service was very personable and professional. . The house keeping is also great! They were at our door before I even hung up the phone :) Overall the service and housekeeping is excellent!

I can confidently say this has been one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at based on the way the staff treated us.

**A Special THANK YOU goes out to Chris for making our stay wonderful! **

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This building still turns heads 35 years after it was opened, and while it is still a decent hotel, you must understand that the neighborhood has shockingly deteriorated over the past five years, and the structure itself has significantly deteriorated in the past year, so much to the point that it will be closing on October 31st unless a new operator can be found, since the Hyatt Corp is walking away after failing to reach a renovation agreement with the owners.

This area used to house a Ritz-Carlton, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Lord & Taylor, all closed within the past 5 years. Lord & Taylor at the adjacent shopping mall was closed following a deadly shooting in the parking lot. The mall is surrounded by Detroit on two sides, and unless you know Detroit (I live a mile from this hotel), you don't know how bad it has become. While I live 5,000 feet away, half of the houses in this neighborhood are burned out or boarded up, hookers walk up and down the streets, and if you don't park in your garage, you will get a block thrown through your windshield (it has happened to me twice in the past year). My neighbor's house was broken into twice in the same week (last week). Open your window at night and you will hear gun shots, car alarms, and screams for "help". I am not exaggerating this. This is all happening within earshot of this facility. It's like a third-world country.

While the owners of this hotel can't be blamed for the crime, they have run this once beautiful facility so far into the ground that Hyatt wants nothing to do with it anymore; once their flagship hotel.

1976: Hyatt Regency Dearborn opens with Fairlane Town Center and a state-of-the-art monorail connect the two. It was designed by famed architect Charles Luckman and cost $40M.

Late-80s: The monorail is removed, officially because the parts were scarce. Unofficially because the mall became very violent and the ruckus was spilling over into the hotel.

Early-2000s: Shooting at adjacent department store, it closes and takes a significant part of the mall with it, including Saks Fifth Avenue and the Ritz-Carlton. Vacancies mount faster than Taubman can board them up.

2007: Hotel sold for $40M. Owners voluntarily default soon after.

2010: Hotel slated to be sold for $20M, but price was reduced to just $10M due to an undisclosed "structural issue". The issue is still unknown. (Local business officials estimate that it would cost $130M to build this structure today).

May, 2012: Announced that this hotel would close after the new owners refused to invest in a renovation to bring the facility up to current standards. Hyatt Corp decides to distance itself from the deteriorating property.

August, 2012: Hyatt Corp sends a WARN letter to the State of Michigan indicating that the entire staff of 250 is slated to be laid off on October 31st unless the owners find a new operator.

Today: Lack of any maintenance is really beginning to show. Brickwork is spalling, glazing is damaged, interior is worn and stained (just look at the photos). Holes in sheets, tears in wallpaper. I have stayed in Super 8s that were better maintained. A true shame. Charles Luckman and Henry Ford are rolling in their graves.

The bottom line is: this hotel doesn't have much a future, nor does the area it is in. The foreign owners practically stole the building and refuse to upkeep it. The complex has security, and you will probably be fine as long as you don't venture out beyond the ring road. But this facility has seen its day and it's not long for the world now.

Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Peter S
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt with two young kids. We requested a small fridge in our room but was told they don't have any small fridges. Other 3-4 star hotels I have been to usually can accommodate this request. We also requested extra towels but had to call the front desk twice. Nobody showed up with towels until 2 hours later. We also asked for a crib but didn't get it until the next day (after speaking with the front desk). The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful but there seems to be some disconnect between the front desk and the housekeeping staff. The phone in the room had the direct connect buttons to the front desk but this button keep transferring us to the 'emergency' line. We always had to be transferred to the front desk. This hotel seems to be catering to the convention crowd. You have to walk past a number of conference rooms to get to the pool area. We asked a staff member by the pool area if it was heated and he didn't know. Overall this hotel is mediocre. So don't be deceived by the 'Hyatt' name. Note that this hotel will longer be associated with Hyatt in October.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family