“Best Thai in Michigan!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bangkok 96 Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 272 Restaurants in Dearborn
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Best Thai in Michigan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Genevieve is a genius in the kitchen. I have tried everything from her salads, Satay, Pad Thai (lunch and dinner version), Gang Gai, Tom Yum, hot and sour soup, Pad Prik, Fried Rice to Pad Krao Pao and everything is beyond tasty. I couldn't wait for the leftovers. This is my favoirite Thai restaurant in Michigan and my absolute favorite restaurant in Dearborn.

If you go during the week get there by 11am or wait until the 2nd wave at noon. Fridays are busting out the door, that's when you should be prepared to put in an order if you are deadset on eating there. I am always determined to get my Thai there no matter how long the lines is. The food is just as tasty taken out.

I try to go on Mon/Wed/Fri since they serve the hot and sour soup on those days, the lemon chicken is on Tue/Thu, still good however, but not as impressive as the hot and sour soup. I have never found a better Hot and Sour soup, not even at a Chinese restaurant.

This is a must taste location!!

1 Thank NikaNumber1

Detroit, Michigan
“Disappointing But With Extenuating Circumstances”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had heard such wonderful things about this place that we drove 35 miles each way to dine here and it was a bit of a let down.

When we got there the parking lot was jammed with cars. There were four of us and we had hoped to dine inside but the place was packed. Not one, single empty table, which is a great sign. So we opted to place carry out orders.

The place was so absolutely packed that there wasn't room for all four of us to just hang out inside the restaurant. So three of us waited in the car while my wife placed our order. They told us it would be 20 minutes but it turns out the food wasn't ready for 40 minutes.

Here's where the extenuating circumstances come into play. The kind lady who took our order apologized profusely to my wife saying one of the cooks suddenly became ill and could not make it into the restaurant so they were running behind and really backed up.

Okay the food. I ordered a Pad Seew with chicken medium. My wife ordered cashew chicken mild. We also got an order of pork fried rice mild for a main meal along with a Pad Thai with shrimp spiced hot and two orders of satay.

My Pad Seew was good although not what I had expected. The rice noodles were small like you find in Pad Thai. I'm used to thick rice noodles. But the flavoring was excellent, the heat just right and there were nice chunks of perfectly cooked chicken.

The pork fried rice was okay but a little bit overcooked. The Pad Thai with shrimp was good although the shrimp were slightly overcooked and a little rubbery. The requested hot heat was right on.

The satay was simply awful. Most of it was so overcooked it was literally inedible and the few bites we were able to eat had little if any flavor.

We're going to give this place a second chance for sure. I have never, ever seen so many people converging on a Thai restaurant anywhere in the U.S. so this place has to be better than what we experienced.

Dearborn, Michigan
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

if you love thai food then bangkok 96 is the restaurant to go too!! it may not look flashy or modern but the food is great and the price is just right!!

West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Great Thai place for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We go here often for lunch. The food is always good. The decor is somewhat dated, and the place reminds you of an old Hardee's place, who really cares because the food is always good. It really gets busy for lunch, so you either need to go or early or late. Always get soup before you start ordering, which is really good. Pad Thai, Fried Rice and others are a few of the things we get. We always get it medium spice and that is usually a good taste. Overall a very good place for Thai food.

• Visited February 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Grand Thai Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Inside it's unassuming exterior lies one of the best Thai restaurants in the area.

The decor is Thai-funky; looking like all the kind of motley collection of things a native might bring back from vacation.

The food is uniformly excellent from Pad Thai through fried fish chunks in sweet and sour sauce it's definitely spiced and the many sauces all taste different. You can get the level of heat that you like. Thai Iced Tea goes well with everything.

Have tried about 1/4 of the menu and each experience has been tasty.

Whether its a quick lunch or a casual dinner this restaurant does not disappoint.