“Fantastic in every way” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Al Ameer Arabic Restaurant

Al Ameer Arabic Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 272 Restaurants in Dearborn
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We decided to visit Al Ameer solely because of its high rating here on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed whatsoever. The quality of the service was outstanding and our server Nader (I think) was extremely courteous and made us feel very comfortable! It was nice to see that he spoke arabic and could easily switch between English and Arabic to accommodate everyone at the table. We ordered tabbouli, shawarma plates, kibbeh plates, and the lamb stew plate. All the meat was cooked to perfection nothing burned or rubbery and with a great taste. I encouraged our table to be adventurous and we tried the raw meat kibbeh nayi and it was just as I have had it overseas. It was perfect and such a delicious treat! The portion sizes are rather large so make sure you go hungry!

• Visited April 2013

Detroit, Michigan
“Good But We Were Expecting A Little More”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We are big fans of Lebanese food and it just so happens that we have a very good Lebanese spot in our neighborhood in the eastern suburbs of Detroit. But we got to thinking why not head to ground zero for Middle Eastern food and get the real deal in Dearborn.

Dearborn is home to an estimated 300,000 Arab Americans and thus there are a ton ethnic restaurants there.

We checked with friends and they highly recommended Al-Ameer in Dearborn. We dined there around noon on a Saturday afternoon.

As we were seated there were only five or six other tables occupied in this fairly large eatery. But by the time we left the place was doing a robust business.

My wife and I looked over the extensive menu and we both agreed on trying the Combo Platter. It consisted of Shish Kabob, Tawook, Kafta, Falafel with Hommous and your choice of fries or rice. Plus the platter started out with a choice of soup or salad.

As with all Lebanese restaurants the meal started with little round discs of bread and some garlic spread. However the bread was at room temperature when it arrived. It's so much better when it's right out of the oven and piping hot. And the garlic spread, while wonderfully pungent as it should be, was a little thin. Usually it's the consistency of Crisco or pudding.

We each ordered crushed lentil soup and while it was good, it was a little thin for our tastes. Everything on the main course was good although some of the food was not really hot while some of the grilling had caused a bitter taste. The rice was room temperature.

This wasn't a bad experience by any means and the people in the restaurant could not have been any nicer. I guess it's just that we expected to find something better than our own little Lebanese spot near our home. Turns out our little spot was much better than Al-Ameer, in our opinion.

There was a lot of food and we took some home to eat later. And this is interesting. You know that garlic spread that I mentioned was a little too thin? Well after refrigeration, it was the perfect consistency!

Judging from other reviews, I suspect we just caught this place on an isolated bad day and we'll return and I'll bet we won't be disappointed this time!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lancaster, PA
“Yum, Yum, Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were in Dearborn and thought there was no better time to try Middle Eastern food based on the large Arabic population. We consulted Trip Advisor and followed the recommendations to try Al Ameer.
We were seated promptly and received attentive servce. In fact, our waitress had to check in with us several times to see if we were ready to order but we kept telling her we needed a few minutes. When she returned the third time, we confessed that we knew almost nothing about Middle Eastern food which is why we were having trouble making a decision. Ida (our waitress) offered a few options and then simply asked us, "do you trust me?" We took her up on the offer to order for us which made things interesting and exciting.
We had the lentil soup, a salad, a combination platter, and a chicken and rice dish that I don't know the name of. Everything was delicious but the Hummous was absolutely amazing. How amazing? We loved it so much we ordered some to take with us. That may not sound like a big deal but we were flying out the next day and the TSA considers Humous to be a liquid/gel so it can't be carried aboard in a large container. Ida came to our rescue again by bringing us a stack of 2oz souffle cups with lids. We transferred the Hummous into the souffle cups making them legal to fly (we had to ditch our toothpaste and deodorant to make room in our zip top bag to get through security but it was definitely worth it). Ida also hooked us up with a bag of fresh pita bread to take with us.
The only negative I can offer about the place is that they don't serve alcohol and we would have really enjoyed a glass of wine with our meal. As I much as I enjoy wine with dinner, it's a small price to pay for the culinary experience.

Visited April 2013
Ferndale, Michigan
“Very popular for a reason”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Both times we have been here we have received friendly, patient service and great tasting food. Their pita bread is especially delicious and is the best I've had in a long time. Make sure you get some extra because you'll want to eat your entrees with it. Their hummus and baba ghanouj are in the running for best I've ever had and I could eat them by themselves with the pita for a meal. Lots of local families pack into this place, even later at night, so make sure you get your pita before they run out!

• Visited March 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
“Great food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We always order food from Al ameer when we have family gatherings at our home and they never disappoint. Their food is always a hit with our guests and it is always well presented. They have great customer service and always help my husband or I carry our order to the car. This is truly appreciated. I highly recommend Al Ameer.

• Visited November 2012