“American history seen up close”
Review of The Henry Ford

The Henry Ford
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Dearborn
More attraction details
Owner description: Trace the history of the auto and our fascination with it along with other American inventions through the staggering collection of Henry Fords estate, which includes such memorabilia as the chair Abraham Lincoln sat in when he was assassinated and the limo in which John F. Kennedy was shot.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I love the museum, the trains, cars and all the things I can not see anywhere else. The cafe has some good michigan food choices as well. Dimoxian house is so unique. A must see when in michigan.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,624)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

As a kid, The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village always kept me up with excitement the night before I would go with my parents (I grew up not far from there). Greenfield Village is a "living" museum, with a number of historic buildings including Edison's Shop, a working blacksmith shop, Model T rides, etc. We were there on the last Saturday of December, which was the last day/night of the Light Festival. The Village will remain closed until Spring. The Henry Ford Museum is open year round, and its not just about historic cars. There is a great Locomotive exhibit, and various other snapshots in history/technology/Americana. We arrived and spent 3 hours on day one, and then 3 hours on day two, this worked well for our six year old. There are a number interactive activities for kids. At the time I thought my son was glossing over a lot of things, but a week later he is talking about the stuff he saw. Great Family outing!

1  Thank RoyS781
Reviewed January 5, 2014

What a great time we had in September! First of all make sure you check out Target Days on the Internet. For the last 2 years Target posted a day that is free either at the Henry ford Museum or Greenfield Village. This is great savings for the family. The Museum is great for young and old alike. My boys loved the displays and all the interactive stuff. You won't be disappointed and there is something for everyone. It was humbling to be able to step on the Rosa Parks Bus and interesting to see the toy train display that was owned by Mr Lionel himself.

1  Thank Matt N
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Not that anything can come close to the diversity of the Smithsonian collections, but this museum is a great place to visit with the whole family. They have a vast assortment of cars and trucks, trains, and historical pieces, such as the chair that Lincoln was shot in, or the car that Kennedy was shot in. The imax theater always has a good selection! We have a family membership and go at least once per month. The exhibits change enough to keep the excitement!

1  Thank Jennifer K
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I went to this museum (I for the first time) and let me say WOW, eye opening and jaw dropping amazing. I was truly in awe of everything in this building. My husband was tickled to show me around his childhood museum and noted the changes they had made over they years since he had last been.

Mr. Ford was truly a wonderful man and a passionate about preserving history.

This is a must see.