“Michigan's Finest”
Review of The Henry Ford

The Henry Ford
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Dearborn
More attraction details
Owner description: Trace the history of the auto and our fascination with it along with other American inventions through the staggering collection of Henry Fords estate, which includes such memorabilia as the chair Abraham Lincoln sat in when he was assassinated and the limo in which John F. Kennedy was shot.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Grosse Ile, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Michigan's Finest”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is by far the finest attraction in Michigan. The museum is great for industrial history buffs. You will find full size locomotives, steam engines, early cars. Fascinating. Great for the kids and mom too. There is always some special exhibit inside the museum and an IMAX theater. Outdoors you will find the actual buildings the Wright Brothers Bicycle shop for instance. Moved from Dayton Ohio and re-assembled here. This is a two day experience if you are coming afar. Use one day for the museum and one for the village. A great value. You will not be disappointed.

Visited August 2012

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sarnia, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great car collection and history”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place is the best for car guys. So many different vehicles from autos , to planes, to trains, and everything inbetween. Even the Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile. Lots of interactive areas too and the nostalgia area reminded me of all the toys and electronics I threw out as a kid, ha ha. Great place, good day

Visited August 2012
McKinney, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Soak Up The History!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stopped here to pass the time before our flight and I wish we had more time to stay. It is so much to see and do. This place is awesome!! I can't wait to go back to Detroit again so I can spend the entire day reading each exhibit and digesting all the history. Great place for families. Lots of walking so wear comfortable shoes.

Visited December 2012
Toledo, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place in Michigan”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Henry Ford Museum is a wonderful place to learn history of all kinds. The current Lego exhibit is awesome! Terrific place for families and also an IMax theater.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank tma02
Macomb, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Bought a Family Membership so we can keep coming back for more!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My youngest two children had been to the Henry Ford on a school-sponsored trip from the U.P. of Michigan when we lived up there and they went on and on and on about it, so we figured that it had actually kept them interested! We decided once we moved down here that we'd make it a point to go there as a family and it's a much more economical move to get a family pass so we we come back again, since there's no way you can get it all in one day! Smart move!! When we went, we had tickets for the last weekend of the traveling Titanic exhibit, which was put on quite well. They give you a ticket with a passenger's name, gender, occupation, room class, etc. and then when you go through the displays you see the differences in room accommodations according to class (like size, bedding, china types, bathroom facilities - even the types of tiles on the floors and metal grates from the air vents!) There were also personal stories and personal effects from passengers on board, but you never know until the end whether or not the passenger whose ticket you held lived or perished.
Besides the "special exhibits", I found my first car (1980's Ford Escort hatchback) the Weinermobile, Charles Kurault's traveling newsmobile, the first ever school bus, the bus Rosa Parks sat in that started the Montgomery Bus Boycotts, the chair President Lincoln was sitting in when he was shot, numerous Presidential limousines, a HUGE locomotive the likes of which are not still built these days. We had lunch in one of the restaurants, which was a little pricey, but the food was good.
This past month, we went back to Greenfield Village for their "Holiday Nights" special (and it snowed about 6" that night!) They had carolers in period costumes, rides on horse-drawn carriages, Model-T's and a turn of the century Carousel, docents telling us the history of the buildings we went in, artisans showing us how they blew the glass or made and painted the pottery sold in the shops. One of the docents even went to the school in which we were sitting! It was really neat to get that experience! My oldest daughter and I strolled around drinking Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps and Mulled Cider with Rum (Yum!) We again ate dinner in one of the restaurants and the food was much better than lunch, but still pricey. However, the portions were huge! I saw my husband's "Hot roast beef sandwich" and it was the same size as my daughter's science fair volcano! No wonder it was $10.50!! All three girls (25, 15, and 14) went ice skating while the parents stayed warm watching the glass-blowing exhibit. The night finished off with fireworks set against the falling snow... which I had never before seen in my life. I can't wait to go back on my birthday when the Village opens again for the Spring season!
My husband also took a group of visiting Panamanian students to the River Rouge plant to see the production line at work. He was so enthralled to see all the different viewing points of the production line but it was unfortunately not running as it was New Year's Eve. We're looking forward to go back as a family and see this, as this was our daughters' favorite part of their school trip.
I can't wait to go back and see what we missed the first time. We had split up since the girls had been there before but they saw and did things we didn't so next time I'm going to insist we stay as a group so we can talk about "Yes, that really IS the way hotel rooms looked like when I was a kid - and you liked it or else!" and similar things like that. Our youngest girls are 14 and 15, but there were plenty of younger kids - down to toddlers - there with plenty of hands-on activities for them to do. I cannot wait to go back!!

Visited December 2012