Scafell Hotel
$172
$149
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
$210
TripAdvisor
Bridge Hotel(Buttermere)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsriverside barcocktail barthe publovely hoteltravelzoo dealhotel restaurantthe barnes wallis suitemain restaurantwalkers barhigh standardrelaxed atmospherethe staff were friendly and helpfulone night staylake districtspa bathnice bathroomkippers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has awful ethics. I booked a room here on 14th May via booking.com. I enquiries as to the possibility of a late check out which was agreed until midday but not until the following day did i hear. This was no long enough so I cancelled and booked an alternative hotel for the same night. I then received an e mail from booking.com to say that they were charging me the full £140 for the room as I had cancelled with 14 days of arrival. Horrified to realise I was paying to stay in two different hotels the same night, I asked them to reinstate the booking as they still had the room available and were now advertising it for £20 less. Although still available and although I had paid for it already they now want me to pay for the room a second time. I'm taking legal advice regarding this hotels money grabbing behaviour. Be very careful booking this hotel, they shall have your trousers down and their hand in your wallet if not careful

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
16  Thank JeremySwan
ScafellHotel, General Manager at Scafell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear JeremySwan,

Thank you so much for your “review” of our cancellation policy, It makes a refreshing change for someone to take the time to point out their own mistakes and then blame an establishment like ourselves for their own error !.

For the sake of clarity I will point out the obvious.

1. JeremySwan booked a room via Booking.com (nothing wrong with this, they are a very good company) on the 14th May for an arrival on the 16th May.
2. JeremySwan accepted the terms & conditions, these being; If cancelled up to 14 days before date of arrival, no fee will be charged. If cancelled later or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
3. JeremySwan cancelled the booking the next day (15th May) & was duly charged as per the cancellation policy!.

Booking.com did indeed contact us on the 15th May to enquire on JeremySwan’s behalf about a late checkout, why it took them nearly 24 hrs to do this is a mystery. If a late checkout was of such great importance, why did you not contact us directly before booking ? – it should be noted that we do not advertise late checkouts, but sometimes we can oblige ….. please contact our reception !

In the subsequent phone call to the hotels reception, you managed to threaten legal action, negative Trip Advisor & Facebook reviews and stated that you had a degree in hospitality management and that you knew some mumbo jumbo reason why you should not be charged !– all because you did not read the Terms & Conditions when making the booking.

People, I will no doubt be repeating myself when I say “please read the T&C’s” – we are no different to any other hotel.

Yours in exasperation and with a touch of sarcasm,

Jason Angus

Reviewed May 14, 2014

The Scafell Hotel is such a warm and welcoming hotel, well run and friendly. My partner and I have stayed there 2 or 3 times a year for about 12 years and each time we look forward to it so much. The hotel itself has a timeless elegance. It has a relaxing atmosphere. The rooms are comfortable and the meals are unbeatable. Breakfasts are delicious with many choices, hot and cold. Evening meals are 5 courses served by polite and helpful staff who make every effort to please finished off with coffee served in the beautiful lounge. The Borrowdale valley itself is such a picturesque and stunning area with lots of high and low walks. Walks up the fells, in the valleys, up the passes and along the river provide many hours of awesome beauty and pleasure with local places of interest to visit too. To return to the hotel is the icing on the cake.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Scafell Hotel was the second stop on our coast to coast walk. Rosthwaite is a picturesque village in one of the Lakes’ most beautiful valleys. Wainwright thought a walk in Borrowdale to be a walk in heaven. The hotel is an imposing building, possibly Victorian. The setting is terrific with marvellous views of the fells. It appeals to fly-fishing anglers, walkers and those just looking for somewhere scenic and peaceful. We found the service efficient and friendly. The rooms are extremely comfortable and are they are tastefully decorated. They refer to a “warm and rich country house style with a contemporary twist”, which is a fair description. They blend the modern with refurbished antique furniture and the result is pleasing. There are all the usual amenities in the rooms: digital LCD TV, radio, telephone, tea and coffee, hairdryer, toiletries, and mineral water. There are designer en-suite bathrooms. The beds and quality bedding guarantee a good night’s sleep. There was a hearty, well-cooked, breakfast served in the very pleasant restaurant, which set us up for the entire day.
There are two possibilities for dinner, a smart restaurant with white tablecloths etc and the bar. They were advertising dinner at £35 per head in the restaurant. The hotel’s Riverside bar offers bar food with main dishes between £9 and £11. There is an adjoining patio where you can sit next to the beck. We went to the bar. I ordered steak pudding and chips and my wife had local trout. We shared a dessert of apple pie and ice cream. The food was superior to the usual pub fare and the portions were enough to satisfy hunger walkers. With washed this down with glasses of Malbec and Pinot Grigio. The wine selection is small but decent, far better than the average pub. My steak pudding was first class. The staff were excellent – efficient and professional yet friendly and ready with a joke. The cost of our meal and drinks was £45. We thought this excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This hotel is a Gem. Situated in the most stunning part of the Lake district it has a warm family feel. The food and service is top class. However the reason I wanted to review the Scafell is that they went above and beyond on my trip.A number of us had set out on a walk and a member of the Scafell accompanied us (They will often do this on request if available) The walk proved beyond me and I hurt my knee. I was patiently taken back to a place where another Scafell member picked me and my family up to take us back safely to the Hotel. It didn't stop there, when we drove past a particularly stunning view he happily stopped and helped us take photographs. This really was above and beyond service. They do care about their customers and it shows. I will be back (with knee supports) soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had a great stay at Scafell with our two young children. Lovely, comfortable room in the annexe. We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant where the relaxed atmosphere and lovely staff meant we were made to feel welcome even with a toddler. The food was superb, we had the 5 course tasting menu which was delicious and enjoyed by all the family, especially the sticky toffee pudding! Scafell's location is excellent - remote enough to be away from it all but within easy driving access of things to do if you prefer. We enjoyed some easy walks from the hotel and visited the nearby slate mine as well as taking a trip to Keswick which is only a short drive away. Looking forward to a return visit soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family