“Does this guy realize it's Corunna?”
Review of Smokin Johnny V s

Smokin Johnny V s
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Corunna
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: We have ribs, pork, brisket, and chicken smoked fresh every day! Don't want barbecue? Order a juicy 12 oz. rib eye or our moist, packed with flavor Bronzed Salmon. Weekday lunch menu items from 11 a.m. to 4p.m. are all $4.99. We also have the largest array of draft beer in the area! The majority of our 20 beer on tap are craft beer, mainly Michigan breweries too. Want to check out our menu, feel free to go to our website to check out all we have to offer you! See you soon!
Reviewed April 30, 2012

They've been open for 3 mos. and they've already raised the prices acrossed the board by 3 dollars on most items. it used to be 9.99 for a half rack of ribs now it's 12.99, 6 dollar cheese burger, now 9 dollars. The ribs are dry as hell it's like trying to eat jerky off a bone. The owners a nice guys and hopefully when the novelty wears off his prices will go back down after he realizes he's doing business in corunna in a building attached to a liquor store

4  Thank mookieblaylock

Reviewed April 10, 2012

The food is good, but pricey. great service. Three of us sat at the bar because the small dining area was full before 6 pm with a 15 minute wait. The beer sampler is $8 for 4 samples and is shown in my pictures. We also had Carnivore Picnic with sides $14, bowl of clam chowder soup $4, Blue cheese wedge salad $9, Grilled Cheese It sandwich $8, and a Chocolate kiss martini $6. for the 3 of us the bill was over $70 with drinks.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

We have eaten here twice now. The first time, we had the pulled pork (naked-not embelished with sauce). Entrees come with two sides. The mac n cheese is really excellent. Penne covered with a smooth natural sauce, topped with some crumbs and baked in a little cast iron skillet (true lodge cast iron) The baked potato is fresh and flavorful, and comes with real butter and sour cream on the side. The potato salad is quite basic and has that bit of mustard flavor. Baked beans are also served in a skillet. We really enjoyed that we had our own tray of three signature sauces and other condiments to use as we wished. The pulled pork platter literally came to us on a tray, there was so much food on it. The next time we stopped in and had two of the specials from the board.....Salmon with Risotto and Dijon Chicken. ALL WAS EXCELLENT. My guy doesn't like rice, so he switched out the risotto for some baked beans...darn because I really wanted to taste it. Mine was perfectly cooked, juicy chicken with a nice seasoning on it as well as a drizzle of a special homemade mayonnaise. My guy's salmon was cooked exactly to medium as ordered, and he love love loved it. The have an extensive artisan beer selection,and a full bar. The atmosphere in the restaurant is very comfortable, knotty pine everywhere, clean and organized. If you want dinner, show up before 6pm because they were slammed for business each time we were there. Our waiter was very nice, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. They got a little lost in the weeds when the rush hit because all tables filled up within 20 minutes, so our empty plates sat on the table for a while before we were able to get our checks and pay, Bad for us because we were needing to get going, and bad for them because they had people lined up out the door and could have had four people seated and ordering dinner, but I would not let that stop me from going there again. Hopefully, they will beef up the front of house staff a bit to include someone to check tables for dirty dishes and expedite extra drink orders, etc. We plan on making this a frequent stop. My son and his wife went for their anniversary last weekend, and also raved about it.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

This is good barbecue-and I know good barbecue. I have eaten at some of the best barbecue joints in the country, and Smokin' Johnny V's is in that class. The ribs are outstanding, the pulled pork and beef brisket excellent. The brats are amazingly smoky. I liked most of the sides, but I haven't tried dessert. They have a great craft beer selection to accompany the food. The staff is still learning how to handle the crowds the great food is attracting, but it is worth the wait!

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Hidden behind McNeill Street Market, you might not notice this place at first. First off, you should understand that I love barbecue. On 2/12/2012, I returned for my 4th visit (and this place has only been open a couple of weeks!).

On 2 occasions, I simply had the pulled pork sandwich, naked. Naked refers to NOT having the sauce mixed in with the meat. Instead, you can add your own barbecue from the Texas, Kansas City, or North Carolina choices that are a staple on every table. I initially gravitated toward the Texas (slight spicy) & Kansas City (sweeter), until a waitress mentioned I might want to mix the NC & KC. It added a nice "tangy-ness". Great suggestion, which I've passed along to all of my co-diners.

Another time, I simply went in to have one of their 20 rotating beers that are on tap, most of the from Michigan microbreweries. Since I wasn't too hungry, I simply had a side of their homemade mac & cheese. I don't care much for this dish, but heard it was excellent. I must concur, it WAS excellent.

Yesterday, I stopped in with my family, including a sister who was visiting from L.A. She absolutely love her meal, too. Having wanted to try the Baked Salmon with smoked Tomato Risotto & White Wine Sauce, my wife & I got the same dish. We were not disappointed. It was cooked to perfection.

I can not recommend this place enough, and there's really no need to do so. It has been packed upon every visit. The owner, Johnny V, got this business out of the gate, in a full stride. There's a very nice menu selection, though heavily weighted toward barbecue. Why, not? It's a barbecue place. The prices are quite low, considering the large portions.

Don't miss this place!