Review Highlights
Nice park

Stopped in when we were in copper harbor. Well kept state park.beautiful view and very informative... read more

Reviewed October 14, 2018
Craig S
Macomb, Michigan
via mobile
Great place to camp with the family

I have been camping here with my dad since I was 2 years old and now im about to start bringing our... read more

Reviewed October 12, 2018
Chris M
Door County

All reviews lake fanny hooe self guided tour step back in time re enactors daily life costumed interpreters great history history buff rock collecting interesting historical site several buildings camp host gift shop answer questions on display within walking distance lots of history
Reviewed July 5, 2017

Before our trip I read a tiny bit about Fort Wilkins, but nothing really made me include it as a must on our list of things to do. Well, boy was I wrong. We did end up going to Fort Wilkins and throughly enjoyed our afternoon there. This is a smaller fort, but very hands-on. My daughters (ages 8,6,4) were able to learn about the fort lifestyle through many hands on exhibits like a cabin the soldiers stayed in, jail cell, grocery store, and bread baking building. I would highly recommend this as a must for anyone with children ages 4-12.

Reviewed July 4, 2017

Fort Wilkins is an above average campground with a good historical component. Good for hiking and rock collecting. Enough activities to keep families occupied for a weekend. I would definitely camp there again. My only criticism is that there is not much privacy between campsites. For us, it was not a problem because we went before the camping season really kicks into high gear (in June, during the black fly hatch). The campsites are quite close together with few trees or shrubs for privacy, as compared to many other wilderness campgrounds.

Reviewed July 1, 2017

This State Park is just Northeast of Copper Harbor and nestled between an interior lake and Lake Superior. The sites are grassy, and nicely sized. We used electric hookup, so we were in the West section of the park. There is a fair amount to see within walking distance and town is about a mile away using a paved bike path.

Reviewed June 20, 2017 via mobile

Really cool place to visit. Lots of history, the buildings are really neat to walk through and lots of pictures and artifacts. The gift shop has a great little ice cream shop to visit after walking through the park. Highly recommend.

1  Thank BigMamaNonny
Reviewed June 17, 2017

One could spend a lot of time at Fort Wilkins State Park (hiking in and out). All you need to get in is the MI Recreation Passport (only $11 for residents, and good all year). It takes about an hour to go through the fort if you take the time to look at everything. The grounds are very pretty and well upkept, and the history is interesting. It is not quite the fortress that one imagines if they've visited the fort on Mackinac Island, but it is fascinating nonetheless. Definitely watch the video located in the first building you come to. From the state park, there are several trails and nice waterfront views. Picnic tables and playgrounds are also present. Cross the street for a nice view of the lighthouse and a harbor perfect for skipping rocks if you can locate the right ones.

1  Thank kcturner96