“Quiet hike”

Estivant Pines Nature Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: A 508-acre sanctuary of rare old-growth white pines. 2.5 miles of hiking trails (no wheeled vehicles). A moderate hike; accessible for families and couples. Steep hills, whisper quiet, and beautiful..
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I am not a hiker, and I am not athletically inclined. I am the epitome of sedentary. I know nothing about trees. I challenged myself to this hike through the woods, and it was absolutely beautiful. I saw only two small groups of people out there.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

It's a wonderful place with a bit of a bumpy drive in. If you're looking for a beautiful paved road with a special parking place for your hybrid car, stay in the city. This is the Northwoods!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Wonderful walk in the Keweenaw woods---ancient white pines towering overhead----wonderful way to spend an afternoon in the Copper Country!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

we often end up on the estivant trail when entering copper harbor via atv trail in the fall, this entire area is beautiful.

Reviewed August 21, 2010

My husband, 8-year-old daughter and I walked the paths in the Sanctuary. There are two circular paths - each just over one mile. They intersect, so you can choose to walk one or both circles. There is space for about five cars to park, and an outhouse available at the entrance to the trail. It is clean and has toilet paper, but no hand sanitizer. The welcome center in town provides precise directions, and a tri-fold brochure with a map. It is an uphill 2-mile drive/ride to the Sanctuary, partly paved and partly dirt. The final 1/2 mile to the Sanctuary is very rough road. On the way to the Sanctuary, you'll pass the Manganese Falls - a beautiful hidden gem. Take the time to see the Falls, too. The Sanctuary is lovely; the trail is well-blazed with blue triangles. Our daughter had no trouble following the path and had a wonderful time running ahead of us, then waiting for us slow-pokes to catch up. We saw some people at the entrance to the Sanctuary, but no one actually on the trails. So beautiful and peaceful. My husband, daughter and I linked arms around trees several times to see how big some of the pines are; they are beautiful. The trails are available to foot traffic only - no wheeled vehicle of any kind. There are no cliffs, or dangerous places on the trail. You do need to watch your steps carefully to avoid tripping on the roots. Enjoy!

2  Thank TheFlyingMommy