“Hasn't changed - thankfully.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Copper Harbor
Keweenaw Mountain Lodge
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I've stayed at the KML a number of times the past 30 years – and was happy to see, it hasn't changed much (except for the new banquet facility – which blends in perfectly with the old lodge). This time all the cabins were booked so we took a motel room. It was old – in need of redecorating and some updates – but we loved it anyway. Sure – it would have been nice to have new beds, beautiful duvets, an updated bath, something other than dark paneling and brown floral wallpaper on the walls – but then, it wouldn't be the same Keweenaw Mountain Lodge you come to expect in this rustic town at the very northern tip of Michigan. Nothing in Copper Harbor is high-tech or fancy – and the KML isn't any different. However – there was wi-fi – a new addition – and something we were able to receive in the motel room. However, no cell phone service – for my phone anyway. I considered this a good thing. Also, no air conditioning. We may have used it since it was warm while we were there, but did have cross ventilation and a fan, at the top of the vaulted ceiling. We were comfortable.

We didn't take advantage of the free continental breakfast as we opted for the hot breakfast buffet for $8.50 per person. A lot of nice options on this buffet – including quiches, bread pudding, pancakes, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, juices, and fresh fruit. We also ate dinner there the night before and it was terrific. I'll review it separately.

Overall, if you're looking for brand new, modern, high tech, luxury – don't come here. This is rustic, outdated, woodsy, and wonderful. I will admit it was a bit of an adjustment coming from a brand new hotel in Marquette, but the charm took over quickly. The staff was very friendly as well.

Room Tip: The cabins are rustic and cozy - but the bath/sink area is quite a bit bigger in the motel unti.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank H0CKEYmom

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Showed up in Copper Harobor without reservations..stupid us. A wonderful desk clerk called around and found us 5 cabins at Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. Cabins are rustic and the bedroom furniture and bathroom desperately need updating but we loved it anyway.
Had a 1 bedroom cabin...nice sitting area with satellite TV, a double bed and basic bathroom.
Beautiful location and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating.
Restaurant was extremely good...not a grumble from staff when 10 of us showed for dinner at 845PM and the kitchen closed at 9PM.
I would go back any time!! Must be wonderful in winter with wood burning fireplace in private cabin with great view!

Room Tip: If you have a difficult time walking, ask for a cabin close to the lodge. It is hilly!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

There's really nothing wrong with this place, it's just nothing great; however, there probably aren't many other options any better. We heard about it from the Wall Street Journal, as did some other travelers. I think we were all a little let down, so perhaps my comments may help prepare others. We stayed 2 nights in a 1 BR (duplex) cabin with a fireplace. I guess the cabins have been upgraded because there are now gas fireplaces you just turn on with a switch. It's easier, but also not very charming. The direct TV produced many channels, all with rolling horizontal lines - not sure if this is the norm, or just our cabin, but we couldn't fix it. It's not why you're there, but, you still want to be able to catch the news. WiFi is in the lodge bar ONLY, not even in the dining room. The bar truly was the highlight for us. Our bartender is a local and she was delightful. The continental breakfast (included in room rate) was pitiful - small muffins of some sort, whole pieces of fruit, a bowl of flavorless cut-up fruit, and cookies! Dinners were actually quite good, especially the fish dishes. Again, not really wrong, just nothing great. Go for a nice long walk, drive to the 'town' (population 80-90 year round), beautiful scenery, nice hikes on the Point.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HomeAgain50
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights with a bunch of friends in the winter. It was a blast. We made a nice big fire inside with the wood that was provided. The beds were comfortable. The place was clean but the bathroom needed to be updated. It was pretty rustic, so if you are looking for a 5 star hotel, don't stay here. The ski trails on the property were well taken care of and beautiful! The food was also excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2012

The Copper Country holds a special place in our hearts since college days and even though it was our first visit to the Keweenaw Mt. Lodge we're hooked! We stayed 3 nights in a 2 bedroom cabin with another couple. The rustic charm and scenic location makes this a great getaway. We found the accommodations to be clean and comfortable (although the beds could be updated). Staff was friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed the lunch and dinner we ate at the Lodge restaurant. We would definitely stay here again and have recommended it to others.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We spent 5 nights in a 2 bedroom cabin in mid October. We've stayed here before and our expectations were met for the most part. We were surprised to have Directv now. The cabin was comfortable except for the full size bed - we would have preferred 2 beds or at least a queen. The water pressure and temperature was excellent and toiletries were provided. We had to arrange some lamps and furniture and we brought some extension cords with 3 prong outlets -very glad we did. Housekeeping service was excellent and the staff very friendly. They provide free firewood and let me use their phone. Bags of ice are also complimentary at the bar.

The cabin maintenance was generally neglected. Our fireplace smoked so badly the smoke detectors kept going off and we had to ask them to clean out the ash. Our porch and steps were tilted and rickety. Doors difficult to shut and lock.

Continental breakfast was terrible and got worse as the week went on. Had lunch in the lodge restaurant and it was great. We had the basic burgers. We appreciated the free wifi in the lodge and the laptop for guest use.

We heard that they were closing for the winter - very unusual. Recesssion appears to be hitting the area hard.

Agree with other posters that for the price a mini-fridge would be a nice touch. So would a small microwave.

Room Tip: Ask about bed configuration. Ask if your cabin is on a steep slope relative to the parking spot.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank annmarz
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I enjoyed the historic cabins and lodge. The history is great. The location is great
on the top of a bluff. It's near Copper Harbor and a good location. The golf course
looked nice but didn't golf. The cabin made me think of something right out of Upstate New York. For the price I believe the cabin should have mini fridge and a better TV.
I found everything else just fine and clean. Cabins are large and roomy. Fireplace
is really nice and has a bit of history about it if you read the book about the lodge. Everything was built by the CCC workers! I'd expect a bit more polish from the waitresses in the lodge dining room but the meal was excellent. They are however seasonal help in Upper Michigan so I'd not be too fussy. While the TV was poor in the cabin I'd say we were not there to watch TV. I would stay there again in the future. I would not discount the lodge for the minor things I mentioned. I'm sure golfing would be great fun as it looks nice and there were deer on the course in the morning.

Room Tip: If with friends get a two bedroom cabin. The bathroom is located between the bedrooms which is nice.
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank wesscott

Been to Keweenaw Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!