“Another good "just off the interstate" hotel, dog-friendly too.”

Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Comstock Park
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This is a good choice for families or business travel. And its a dog-friendly property. The rates are typical for an out-in-the-styx business hotel, $100-120. Our room was clean, contemporary and comfortable. We had all of the important in-room amenities (wi-fi, mini-frig, microwave, coffee maker, etc.). The bed was above-average. The hotel has an indoor pool (with hot tub), exercise room, an OK breakfast buffet and elevators. The check-in clerk was very friendly and quick.

The location is conveniently located just off the interstate, but the area is somewhat devoid of businesses for the traveler. The few nearby restaurants are fast-food. The only retail stores are the mini-marts at the nearby gas stations. One nearby attraction is the baseball stadium for the local "A" league team. In that regard this is probably the best hotel option if you wanted to be close to the ball park.

Beware: the hotel is hard to see once your off the interstate. Its off of the main roadway about 2 blocks up a side road, behind some businesses and homes, and currently lacking any streetside signage.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back-side (south side) of the hotel face an interstate on-ramp and can be noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
mikewinick, Director of Operations at Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

We are working on getting approval from the local government for a sign at the end of the street. We are sure glad you found us. Thank you for your kind words.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North

Reviewed June 26, 2011

To Potential Guests,
I was positively astonished by our experience at Comfort Suites in Comstock Park, Michigan. We had traveled all the way from eastern Arizona to Indiana and parts of Michigan. We have been traveling with a dog, a chocolate lamb. Therefore, our number one goal had been to stay at hotels where our dog could be accomodated. Many hotels that we had called along the way of our trip didn't have rooms, and didn't have rooms to accomodate our dog. In all cases hotel receptionists just passed our business up with no regard to keeping our business within their company.
Therefore, when my wife made the call to the Comfort Suites in Comstock Park, Michigan we were happily surprised with the response we received. We called and they said that they did not have a room available for our dog. Initially we thought well more phone calls are to come; however, the young man who took our call promptly responded by saying you know what I will get you a room and just charge you $10 extra for the room. My wife was somewhat speechless because our experience with hotels had not been like this at all so far on this trip. In addition, the hotel receptionist did not know us or our dog, so we were surprised.
We were still a little skeptical arriving at the hotel not knowing if the promise would be upheld, but sure enough it was. My wife went into the hotel lobby, spoke with the young man and obtained our room. She came back out to the car with our kids and was like wow that was really easy and it was like a burden was relieved.
We went up to our room and to our surprise the room was extremely spacious. With two adults and two small kids and a dog this was perfect especially for the price. Two double beds, a good size television, a couch and coffee table, small fridge and microwave and a table and two chairs for eating. The bathroom was spacious as well, which is good when you have four people who have bathroom/ restroom needs. This was room #316. Oh yeah, side note....the beds have 4-6 pillows if memory serves me correctly on each bed, which is really nice. You can bury yourself in the pillows while you sleep.
Well we had spent a long day at Lake Michigan on the beach, so my wife and children went to sleep. I still had things to do to get ready for the next day, which meant doing some laundry, re-situating the car and cleaing/ packing the car. I noticed we had a lot of damp clothes from our beach time and so went to the front desk looking to do some laundry. I asked if they had laundry facilities on the premises and the same young man said yes, but it cost money. He said well you just need to dry, right? I said, yes and he said just bring them down to the front desk and I will throw them in our dryer for a few minutes. I was like really, are you sure. He said, yeah not a problem. So I brought down a couple of towels and our bathing suites and he dried them all.
I came down a few minutes after the laundry started drying and asked the new front desk clerk about their fitness room. I had noticed that it was suppose to close at 11pm and it was already after this time, but the fitness room was still accessible and the lights were on. I asked if it would be too much of a problem to use it for their treadmill for a little while. She said no problem, and so I went to running. While I was running on the treadmill they started to breakdown the pool area that had stayed open a little pass 11pm as well because there was a couple of adults who were still swimming. The swimming pool and the fitness room are adjacent to one another. I did not hear one complaint or one display of a "put-out" employee through this whole process. Well i finished my run and picked up my laundry and I was off to bed.
The next morning we had two little ones to feed and a schedule to keep so our plan was to grab breakfast and go. My wife offered to load the kids in the car if I would go and get breakfast from the continental breakfast area. I went into the breakfast area and the first thing I noticed was that all the food was well stocked and the food area was spread out. I was wondering if the food was well stocked because it was not any good. I quickly learned the food was good. There was a lady that was working the area that I noticed was moving around promptly cleaning tables, stocking food and asking people if there was anything they needed. It wasn't too long before she asked me if I wanted a waffle. I thought maybe they had like to go Eggo Waffles or something. She then pointed to the waffle maker. She then offered to make me one. I was caught off guard because my experience with continental breakfast at hotels was like the survival of the fittest. Not the case here. Well I didn't think I had enough time so I said no thank you. I took our breakfast out to the car where my wife had the kids situated to eat. We gave them some breakfast and she said we have time if you want to go get yourself some food, but just grab me a coffee please. I said sure and went back in. I started making the coffee for my wife when the lady came back over again and asked if I had returned for the waffle and I said you know, I am going to take you up on that waffle offer. I made the coffee and she made the waffle. It was great. I went back out the car and wife said that she wanted to go grab a bite to eat and I asked her this time if she could grab me a coffee. At this point I had not told my wife about the lady in the breakfast area, I would save that for travel conversation. When she came back with my coffee and her food, she had a smirk on her face. I almost immediately knew what she was smiling about. I asked her and almost simultaneously we said the same thing to one another about the lady in the food area. We both laughed and thought how cool our experience was. It is the little things in life that set and leave a memory for people.
In closing, our experience was great at Comfort Suites in Comstock Park, Michigan. The variable that was so astonishing to us was that in an age where people are so content with status quo and doing only what it reads as our job description, we experienced something much different. Often times hotels have policies and rules that try to deter bad behaviors and actions from their guests. Actually rules and policies at times can be really unfortunate for hotels guests due to travel patterns and times as well jet lag differences.
I was so pleased with our stay I felt compelled to contact the hotel general manager and relay our pleasure with our stay. I got a very similar response and classy response. I can no doubt believe that the employees who worked at the hotel were a reflection of the leadership their under, but as the General Manager stated, he has been blessed with a tremendous staff that goes beyond his expectations.
This hotel may be a little outside of town from Grand Rapids, but I am confident you will enjoy your stay.
Thanks,
Pleased Guest

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Compromisenot

You make me blush. It is our people. Thank you, thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with others. I hope we will see you again real soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

We stayed for only 1 night, but were totally pleased with the price, the room, and the bed. Extremely clean and very comfortable. We did not eat the breakfast, so cannot comment on that. Great value, and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon on the 18th, and 19th of September, 2010. Our room was a king jacuzzi suite. The bed was awesome, as was the jacuzzi. The hotel itself and our room was very clean. The pool is NOT very big however, and the water was gross. It was SUPER salty and had LOTS of hair in it. =/ Other than that, everything was clean. The service was very kind and always was there when we needed it. It's a quiet hotel. I will come again. :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We were upgraded to Jacuzzi suites since regular King Size rooms were overbooked. The Jacuzzi was very nice. The bed was soft. Hotel is newer so it is still in pristine shape. Good breakfast in the morning. Indoor pool and hottub were nice. Free internet. Hotel is right across the street from fifth-thirds ballpark where we caught a game at night after work. This place was very nice. Internet was free but was slow that night since the place was all booked.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Visited friends in the area and stayed here one night. Room was large, clean and comfortable. Front desk staff friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This is a wonderful hotel. I stayed here while visiting my grandfather at the local veterans home. The location is easy access to the interstate as well as the home. The staff was always pleasent and helpful. The rooms were immaculate and large. The continental breakfast was far above the typical bagel and boxed juice at most other places. It was so wonderful to walk in to fresh baked cookies or a large bowl of fruit each day. Did I mention the Staff is WONDERFUL. I will stay nowhere else for my future trips. This hotel is just fantastic!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#7 of 48 in Grand Rapids

Been to Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North? Share your experiences!