“We had a great time at deer forest!”

Deer Forest Exotic Animal Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: This 32 acre sanctuary provides permanent refuge to more than 150 captive-raised exotic animals. Quiet, educational tours of the facility enable visitors to enjoy close-up observation of exotic animals from around the world. Set on beautiful Paw Paw Lake this volunteer-staffed refuge is one of the largest in the nation. Free parking and picnics are always welcomed. Season runs from Good Friday - Halloween.Off Season tours available by appointment only.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Deer forest is a great place... if you understand what you are going to. It was built in the 50's. IT WAS BUILT IN THE 50's. If you have a young guest (say 2-6) they will have a good time. Storybook Village was dismal, but we bought the "elephant key" anyway because we felt the need to give these good people money... plus it's a inexpensive souvenir ($3.) The grounds are shaded and stroller friendly. Before being a SAHM I worked as a zookeeper. I can tell you the critters here are VERY well cared for . We will be back!

2  Thank Rena M

Reviewed July 18, 2012

My mom and dad took my husband and I and our daughter here for an afternoon of fun. Like others mentioned there was no one there and for sale signs everywhere. My mom and husband were so excited for all the things they remembered in the past like all the animals and train ride and Santas workshop. We got there and walked in. Place looked pretty deserted. We walked around and were soooooooooooo disappointed. There was nothing there but some horses that were trying to grab your food and crazy deer that were jumping everywhere. Definitely not safe for my daughter. I did not see any rides that were running not that I would trust them. Don't waste your time and money. Like my husband said I guess that's a lesson on not trying to relive childhood memories.

4  Thank KAM1991
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I took my niece to the Deer Forest park and she had a blast. Riding the pony's and feeding the deer. She was so happy seeing different animals that she cried when we had to leave because of closing time.

1  Thank Gary H
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Took 3 children there ages 8,7 and 3. They all were excited about being able to pet the animals and feed them and take the pony rides. Excited about the amusement park rides. When we pulled up, the first thing we saw was "For Sale" signs everywhere, there were only 3 cars parked in the parking lot. Beings it was right at opening time, we over looked that part. When we walked in to pay for our admission, we were informed that we would have to pay additional money for the pony rides, and the amusement park rides and get a free game of miniature golf. After spending $70 just for admission, we started our journey thru the weeds. Only a few animals had the strength to actually walk to the fence for us to feed them. When we made our way to the deer, they were so hungry we was unable to make it thru the gate to feed them. Then we came upon the "amusement rides", there was no way I was putting the children on those rides. They are rusty, no maintance. The only thing the kids really had a good time doing was playing on the slides and the playground. They advertise a picnic area. What a joke, it consist of 1 charcoal grill, and several picnic tables. Minature golf, was ran down, full of rocks. We could of went somewhere else for $70 and had the time of our lives. I didn't have the heart to go and ask for the money back due to the children not riding the rides, I figured they needed that money to feed the animals. This place could be a nice family spot, if the right people get in there and put some major TLC into the place.

7  Thank Pam L
See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The terrible reviews of this place are unwarranted. First, the animals all looked very healthy and well fed. Most of the storybook village was nice and the rides that worked (only 3) were in good condition. The staff was friendly and there were many employees improving the grounds. Some TLC is all this place needs. Our kids had fun and we were there for 4 hours. at a cost if 12.50 for the kids and 7.50 for the adults, we didn't feel ripped off. I would advise bringing your own food as very little was available. Germ x and wading stations were plentiful. Overlook some of the decay because your kids,will and they will have a good time.

2  Thank feminist