“No respect for "alone time"” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Coldwater

Hampton Inn Coldwater
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Coldwater
Hillsdale, United States
“No respect for "alone time"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I have 5 kids- so we rarely get away for a night. We finally found the time last weekend and used my points to get a room at a near-by Hampton Inn. After an unusually long check in process, we retired to our room. About 20 minutes into enjoying our escape we were interrupted by the hotel room phone ringing. I've stayed at Hampton Inn's across the US for years and have NEVER had the phone ring- so my assumption was that there was a problem with the credit card or some other serious matter that would warrant being interrupted. No- it was the desk clerk asking if the room was okay. I was very annoyed and expressed as much- if the room hadn't been okay, it wouldn't have taken me nearly half an hour to let them know- I was then asked if I'd like a wake-up call. If I wanted a wake-up call, I'd have asked for one on check in or I'd have called the front desk myself. I find it hard to believe that with the "easy to set" alarm clocks in the rooms and the proliferation of phones with alarms that a wake-up call is so important in 2013 that the desk needs to call and make sure you're capable of getting up on time. The tone in his voice gave me the very strong impression that he was bored and thought it would be funny to interrupt us. The lack of respect for couples (or any guests) repeated itself in the morning when we mistakenly thought check-out was at noon instead of 11am. Promptly at 11am- despite the do not disturb sign- the "housekeeping" announcement was made and before there was any time to say anything, the door was opened. I asked if they saw the sign on the door and was less-than-politely informed that check-out time was 11 and we needed to leave. While we enjoyed the time we did get- it wasn't much more enjoyable than if we'd just stayed home and waited for the kids to go to bed. No, I didn't complain when we left because I was still frustrated with the rude behavior that morning and didn't want to overreact - that and I didn't feel like explaining to a stranger at the desk that the kid working the night before was almost certainly having fun at the expense of our alone time. In fact, I just planned on never staying at that particular Hampton Inn again- especially when getting away with my wife- but they sent an email asking me for a review, so here it is. Aside from that- the rest of the services were what I expect from Hampton, and in those areas I was not disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Russ H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Coldwater, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are taking this review very seriously and it will be shared with the entire team. The first phone call you experienced is a part of the Hampton Inn brand standard and should be happening at all Hampton Inns. We are required to call each guest after they have reached their room and have had a few moments to settle in. The call is meant to provide our guests with an opportunity to provide immediate feedback in time for our team to make any adjustments that we can at the beginning of our guest's stay. Some guests don't automatically think to call the desk upon check in when they have needs or concerns. This morning and all of this week we'll be reminding all of our staff to have a longer pause before entering occupied guest rooms after knocking on guest room doors. I apologize for the confusion regarding the check out time. The gentleman that checked you in, while still on the newer side, has always had great interactions with guests. I assure you and all of my guests that if anyone on my team is not excited to provide the best service possible they will not be allowed to remain on our front desk. Sincerely, Russ Hickey.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We've been visiting Hillsdale MI for years and since the Hampton Inn has been in Coldwater this is where we stay if we can't get a room at Dow Center at Hillsdale College.

The breakfast is well done. Our morning there they offered a breakfast casserole of eggs, sausage and veggies in addition to the expected breakfast breads, waffles, oatmeal, fruit, etc.

Late afternoon they put out a tray of cookies near the elevator so look for those if you're needing a bit to hold you over till dinner.

Free Wi-Fi. Rooms are clean and the staff is very pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Russ H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Coldwater, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to serve the Hillsdale area and Hillsdale College. Thank you for making us your home away from home. We look forward to your next visit and please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay the best possible. Sincerely, Russ Hickey.
Charlevoix, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Always friendly and willing to assist. Rooms comfortable and reasonable. Breakfast was good and great coffee. Staff informative and knowledge when asking questions. They can handle the situation at the time and I don't need to wait for a response.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for writing a review. I am proud of the team of people that work here. They are very hard working and care very much about the property and the guests they serve. We hope you come back and see us again sometime! Sincerely, Russ Hickey.
shawano, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Loved the Hotel. Booked for staying during a wedding. Choose the Hotel because it was in a wedding block of rooms. Great place to stay. Great morning breakfast. Clean and fresh rooms. Great service. Nice decor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

We love wedding business! Thank you for staying with us and we'd love to have you stay again in the future if it is ever convenient. Thanks again! Sincerely, Russ Hickey.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed at the Coldwater Hampton Inn for three nights during a vacation/attendance at a wedding recently. The hotel was very clean and modern with helpful staff. We were upgraded without a request and the room was very spacious. The cleaning staff took very good care of our room. The breakfast was okay. I found it to be good, but my picky fiancee found it less than desirable. For someone with average tastes it is more than satisfactory. The gym is small but very clean and has something for everyone. The bed has to be the best we have slept on and the room was very quiet even though its close to Interstate 69. Definitely the best place to stay in Hillsdale and Branch counties.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Russ H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Coldwater, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review of your stay. The team works hard every day for every guest to make this the cleanest and friendliest hotel our guests experience this year. I post all TripAdvisor reviews for our staff to see. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Russ Hickey.
Coldwater,MI, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The price was a bit expensive for the actual size of the rooms; too small. The staff was courteous, there was ample parking, each day a good continental breakfast was on order, and the facility has a decent fitness center. The Inn is situated in a good location just off the interstate for easy access to the Coldwater area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Russ H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Coldwater, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We appreciate receiving feedback of all kinds and feel it is an important part of our commitment to continuous improvement. We do post our reviews for the entire team to read and I know the breakfast people will especially appreciate your kind words. If you are coming into the area again please contact me at the hotel direct and we can check to see if there are any discounted rates available that you may qualify for. The hotel and city is in higher demand during the midweek and that market influence does impact the rates during that time. Sincerely, Russ Hickey.
Holtsville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here when we were visiting our daughter at Hillsdale College for parent weekend. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in our room. It had a king size bed, nice sitting area, a microwave and refrigerator. The staff was very friendly and they gave us a great rate. We thought it was a great value and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. We are pleased to serve the Hillsdale College guests that choose to stay in Coldwater. On behalf of the entire team here at the Hampton Coldwater we would like to say thank you for choosing to stay with us! We look forward to your return in the future. Sincerely, Russ Hickey.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coldwater
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Coldwater
Americas Best Value Inn-Jonesville/Hillsdale
Hampton Inn Marshall
Hampton Inn Marshall
#1 of 3 in Marshall

Been to Hampton Inn Coldwater? Share your experiences!