“Legion Members beware”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Coldwater
Stowe, Vermont
“Legion Members beware”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We booked this room in advance and were given confirmation numbers along with several others on a trip to deliver scholarship money for children of fallen soldiers. (A total of about 700 riders were staying in area motels) Andy, the manager told several of us that are rooms were not confirmed, even though we had confirmation numbers. If he had rooms, he charged the full rate instead of the confirmation rate (which was twice as much). He turned away at least one veteran who was in his seventies as well as several others. Many people doubled up in rooms because the reservations were not good. He told me he thought I was nice, so he gave me the discount rate...only to find out the room had no air condition nor exterior window, There were four such rooms which we later found out had to be discounted because of the lack of air. He sent me
a fan which was so old I questioned it as a fire hazard and the switch was broken off. I went to the desk at about 10 pm to get a different fan. He had left (he did not come in the next day either when I called). The young girl he left at the desk was wonderful trying to fix up the mess. As a manager, he should have stayed...poor service on his part. At 10 pm, his maintenance man was still there and told he could go to Walmart to buy fans. I reported this to the leaders of the trip as we are a 3 million strong organization.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Janet E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Coldwater, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2012

my family and i are from the area and got a room b/c my daughter wanted to do a pool party for her bday, harrassed by management got full beds instead of the queens there was poopl in the pool in the morning and there was drunk ppl being loud til 4 in the morning

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Cecil T
Farmington, Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed one night because we wanted to catch a double feature at the Capri Drive-in just 5 miles away.
On the up side: the hotel is a relatively good value, the pool was warm, uncrowded and a good size; great for our kids. The room was comfortable and relatively clean.
On the down side: the Wifi was poor/unavailable in our back-corridor room. The hotel is showing its age a bit and looks a bit worn in places; they lost the hot tub, as it was filled in with concrete some time ago--the in-room directory did not reflect the change.

The most disappointing aspect was the staff. They weren't rude, but they weren't as welcoming or friendly as I would expect. In my interactions, I felt like I was imposing on them. As a rule, I always ask for an upgrade (the worst that happens is they say "no"), and was told no, even though the hotel was virtually empty. Most front desks say no very gracefully; this front desk was quite frank that I had not earned an upgrade. (Upgrading customers in a near-empty property is a great way to earn more business.)

Other staff members we encountered from maintenance to housekeeping, appeared indifferent. We're used to staff at least greeting us or asking how we are doing.

The brightest spot was the manager (I believe; didn't see a nametag) who spotted me in the breakfast room after it had closed. He offered to get me breakfast (it was well after breakfast was over) and was the only staff member who asked about our stay.

So overall, this hotel is a good value if you're willing to forgo the hospitality you may be looking for.

Room Tip: Many rooms are pooolside, but you'll pay extra. Any room is relatively close to the pool. So we...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank kOps210
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Don't expect greatness, it's not here, but an adequate stay at a decent price.
As noted in another review, the back hallway has some air movement issues (prob'ly an unfixable design flaw) It sounds like you're getting ready for take off - lots of noise in the duct work.
We had reserved a 2queen room...when we got to our room, the beds were obviously doubles, not queens so we went back to the front desk and were told that that room was supposed to have queen beds although she had never been back there. She wrote down a note (presumably for her manager) but we never heard anything during our 3 day stay and were not offered a different room. :(

For some reason, our room was not serviced the first day, but was the other 2 days...again, inconsistency seems prevalent here.

We also inquired at several different times, why the rate on our 3rd night, a Tuesday, was $30 higher than the other nights. We were told it was because of availability...however, the hotel didn't seem any fuller that night than any of the others...don't know what was up with that.

On the upside, the place was clean, the pool huge (although there must have been a hot tub at one point, but it was covered over), a large space with tables & chairs outside the pool was available for groups. The breakfast was fine...the exact same every day, but edible. I think this could be easily expanded a little bit without any additional expense...peach or blueberry or mixed berry yogurt, different pastries, etc.

We noticed several work trucks - so it must be a popular place for contractor types working in the area.
A decent stay, but it's not a 3 star hotel, so don't expect a lot.

Room Tip: if you want to avoid excessive noise, ask for a non-poolside room and not the rear hallway.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Bev G
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel during the first leg of a trip to Northern Michigan on the motorcycle. The front dest staff was very nice and allowed me to park the bike on the overhang outside the front door. Overall I was pleased with the stay as the room was very clean and comortable and breakfast was good before heading back out on the road. The only serious complaint that I had was that maintenance was being done on the room across the hall. Now I know that workers need to get things done, but the drilling and hammering lasted until 8pm that evening. We were so tired that we just didn't care, but they should stop with noisy repairs at around 5pm or so. During the day I can understand, but when the hotel is filling with tired travelers, it is time to be considerate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tstormdrums
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and I arrived at this Confort Suites after ten hours of overnight travel. We were exhausted and worried that we would not be able to check in to our room at 10 am. We were pleasently surprised by the level of customer service we received from the General Manager who greated us and immediately got us into our room. On top of that, he upgraded us from a queen to a king, and that completely blew us away. I would thoroughly recommend this location of Comfort Suites. The only downside is it a bit difficult to get to from the highway. It is offset from the street quite a bit, but on the plus side, it gives the place a more secluded feel.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Coldwater, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear Mr. Johnson,

It was a pleasure having you and your lovely wife stay with us at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Coldwater, MI and I'm glad that I personally contributed to WOW you during your brief visit to the area, as I'm sure that anyone in my hotel staff would've done the same to ensure that you and your wife are well taken care of and completely satisfied with the level of service and amenities that we provide our valued guests. We hope that we have the opportunity to be of service in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and it was a good stay.

The staff was very attentive and looking to please.
Breakfast was good. The wired internet worked fine but the wireless was troublesome.

The property appeared to be well maintained. I did not use the pool so I cannot comment about that.

They do have very hard water but I understand that they are looking to correct that problem.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I will return again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Coldwater, MI. My team and I love to hear from our valued guests that they have enjoyed their stay with us and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back very soon. Just make sure you bring your swimming truncks with you next time so your experience will be complete.

Warm Regards,

Andy Benameur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coldwater
Red Roof Inn Coldwater
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Coldwater
Holiday Inn Express Fremont
Quality Inn hotel in Fremont
Americas Best Value Inn-Jonesville/Hillsdale

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Coldwater? Share your experiences!