“pleasantly surprised”

The ConCorde Inn
maryland
“pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed August 16, 2008

My husband and I did a weekend trip from Maryland to Mount Clemens for a family anniversary party. We were looking for an inexpensive but decent hotel to stay for 2 nights. Not having been to Michigan in over 20 years, I did some research on the area hotels. This was one was less than 10 minutes from our relatives' home, priced right, and the reviews were favorable.
After driving through a not so great neighborhood, I got a bit nervous but the area appeared nicer when we reached the hotel. We were very happy to see how nice the lobby was and the same when we got to to our room. It was a nice size and most importantly, very clean. We had a small refrig, microwave and coffeemaker. The bathroom has a huge jacuzzi tub though it is set up a bit weird (sliding doors from the tub to the living area). The staff was very friendly. Our floor and room were very quiet even though both nights parties were being held at the hotel.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — price and cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmuMaryland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We stayed at the Best Western Concorde Inn after a family wedding, simply because that is where the reception was.

Pros:
* Room is larger than average. Standard room has two queen beds, table, armoire, and good sized closet.
* Staff was very understanding with late checkout request on a Saturday morning. We ended up checking out an hour later than scheduled checkout.
* Gym/fitness area is above average.
* Small safe is located in the room.
* Fridge in room.

Cons:
* Tiny window for such a large room.
* TV was small. This didn't bother us, as we didn't have time to watch TV, but it was probably about 22" or 24".
* Beds were horrible. One of the beds in our room was hard as a rock (but not supportive), the other was too soft. My husband had a backache the following day...
* Large jacuzzi tub between bedroom and bathroom. One would think this would be a pro, but it was just weird. The jacuzzi tub bridges the gap between the room and the bathroom. The tub is literally one foot from one of the beds, and it is separated by only a closet door. The advantage is that one can take a bath while watching TV if one desires... however, it isn't very practical. When I showered (even with the closet door closed) the steam overtook the main room. From the room, you can hear EVERYTHING that happens in the bathroom. The jacuzzi tub isn't separated from the toilet/sink area, so if you open that closet door, the entire bathroom area is visible from the main room. Also, there is nothing to separate the bathtub from the carpeting and furnishings in the main room. We did not notice any strange odors in our room, but my parents room had a strange, slightly moldy odor - perhaps from water having been splashed from the tub onto the carpet.
* The bathroom itself is poorly laid out, poorly lit, and kind of small. In my opinion (and this is just an opinion), the bathroom could have featured a smaller jacuzzi tub, shower stall, and toilet, in a separate area from the sink/countertop/mirrors, as many hotel bathrooms are now being designed.

Bottom line:
* I can't think of any particular reason why you wouldn't want to stay here, but it didn't really do anything to "wow" me. It was average. If I have an event in the area again, I'll probably stay at the Hampton Inn, which is consistent for having very comfortable beds. :*)

• Liked — Fridge in the room... Decent gym area...
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable beds, weird jacuzzi tub / bathroom setup
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank NearPerfect9
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed August 2, 2007

My occupation has me traveling every week. Therefore, I stay in a different hotel every week. Overall, this is a nice place with many 'perks': Large Rooms, Big bathtubs, Swimming Pool, Game Room, Smoking Lounge, Laundry Room, etc. I'd book this site again.

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Allways_On_The_Road
Banning, California
Reviewed January 30, 2006

Haveing stayed at many hotels nationwide....I was very pleased and very impressed with the Concorde Inn. The room was very spacious and very clean. I had asked for a smoking room and was given a non smoking room. When I called down to the front desk the associates were very happy to get me into the one I wanted. It took very little time to transfer things over. The staff was very friendly. I cant wait to travel back to Michigan so I can stay there again!

• Stayed November 2005
1 Thank Afontes99
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 18, 2006

I stayed at the Best Western Concord Inn of Clinton Twp. for two nights and felt that the rooms were fairly nice for the price. I enjoyed the jacuzzi in the room, as did my wife. I had a few issues with kids running down the halls at night and upon speaking with the General Manage, Kim, I was left very shocked. Ms. Nicholson became fairly hostile towards me and I felt that she was insulting my intelligence with her comments and responses. She acted as it were my fault and that I had to deal with it myself. I felt that this is something that managment should be able to take care of. I requested some sort of compensation and the response I receieved was cold. I was very unhappy and unsatasfied with the way this woman conducted business. Highly unprofessional and I will never stay with the Concord Inns again. The owner of the hotel needs to replace this General Manager and that my influence me to bring my business associates back.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Clinton Township hotels

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed September 26, 2005

Room (standard): very spacious room and a big comfortable bed, a table with two chairs and an extra relax seat. The bathroom was splendid. It had a big yacuzzi and the glass doors along the yacuzzi could open so you could watch tv while taking a bath. There’s a refrigerater, microwave, iron board and a coffee machine in the room. There are pay movies and you can surf the internet on your television. The room was spotless, towels were changed every day.

Area: The hotel is situated on the big Gratiot Avenue, a couple of minutes from Clinton Township, very close to road 94 and half an hour drive from Detroit.

Staff: The staff is really friendly and helpful. I needed to print a mail from the internet and they didn’t charge me anything. When I asked for assistance for the lights in the bathroom someone came to help me a few minutes after my call.

Breakfast: There’s a choice between tree juices, coffee, yoghourt, fruit, cake, donuts, … Hot breakfast costs 4 dollar extra but is worth the money. You can choose between eggs prepared in two different ways, sausages, hamburgers, …

Bar: There’s a very friendly lady working in the bar (who was very excited about all the two dollar bills I took with me from Belgium) where you can watch a widescreen tv sitting at a table or in a sofa at the fireplace. They serve good wine for a very reasonable price. The bar is closed on sunday. There’s a separate more intimate room with fireplace where you can watch tv and smoke a cigar.

The hotel hasn’t a restaurant but there’s a little shop where you can buy sandwiches, beverages, candy, cake, light meals to warm up in the microwave, …

For the price this hotel is really top.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank DavidBelgium
Ohio
Reviewed November 25, 2004

Great from the moment you enter fireplace on one side fountains on the other very friendly staff.

Suites to regular rooms very clean I plan on staying there every time I am in the area.

4 Thank TreePimp
#1 of 2 in Clinton Township
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chesterfield
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterli...
#3 of 7 in Sterling Heights
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica

Been to The ConCorde Inn? Share your experiences!