“Great place with great food in a small town.”
Review of Mojave Cantina

Mojave Cantina
Ranked #14 of 54 Restaurants in Clawson
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Great place with great food in a small town.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is terrific for lunch. Great food at a fair price. Nice decor too. It's still pretty new so be patient with the young Waitstaff. I would come here once a week when I'm not traveling. I want to come back for dinner on a weekend.

• Visited August 2013

Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Just OK”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

They were quite busy when we went there, so it took some time to place our order and get our food. There were a couple of knats flying around our table - that was annoying. We got the Mojave Sampler appetizer which was very good. Guacamole was excellent. The Enchiladas were very good too. All in all, I'd go back because of the food, but the worst part of the experience was how obnoxiously loud the place was. We were practically yelling to have a conversation. Because of that I will probably try some other Mexican restaurant before coming back here.

• Visited August 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Average restaurant”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Had lunch here. Service was good but the food was mediocre. We had chicken quesadillas, burritos, and chili soup. The soup and salsa/chips were the most flavorful part of the meal. The main dishes including the sides of rice were dry and didn't have much flavor. Overall just another average Mexican restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
sterling heights, MI
“Good service, interesting interior, bland food”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My son and I may be somewhat jaded about the flavor level of Mexican food since we often visit my daughter in New Mexico but I expect to have some flavor and spice in my food experience even in Michigan. Even the "hot" salsa was not "hot" at all except once when I bit down on a piece of pepper that apparently had not been blended well. The tortilla fillings were bland with little or no flavor. On the other hand, the portions were ample, the margarita and nachos were good, the chips, which are salty as a prior reviewer commented, at least had flavor and our waitress was very good. She followed up on the order, asked about and brought refills and was generally attentive. However, I don't think we will be returning. One final note - the menu lists sopapillas for dessert and loving them in New Mexico where they are generally served with the meal and accompanied by honey, we decided to order. Our waitress asked if we had ever had them at the Mojave and, when we said no, she described them as fried tortilla strips with sugar, cinnamon and honey. If you have had the bread sopapillas, this is not anything like those. We did try it however and it was quite good. Possibly the best thing we ordered. I don't know if there is a locale difference in sopapilla definition but these were certainly not what we expected upon seeing them on the menu. Some good, some not so good but I don't think we'll be returning.

• Visited June 2013
Michigan
“Good food and atmosphere”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The food was delicious, not extremely spicy like some Mexican restaurants which think everybody likes it searingly hot. The portions are generous, the prices reasonable. The noise level is high; this is not a place for a quiet conversation. But that also means its a good place to bring kids because you won't be constantly telling them to be quiet

• Visited June 2013