“Disappointing”

Clarkston Union Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 79 Restaurants in Clarkston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Clarkston
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you want flavor to your BBQ do not waste your time. Nothing is going to make you want to go back for a seond visit. Thank gooness for small portions.

• Visited March 2013

Clarkston, Michigan, United States
“It's Been Our Thursday Night Haunt for Years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We live in Clarkston, so we have easy access to the Union, which means we're there a lot, which means we probably have an eating-out problem. But that's another story.

On any given Friday or Saturday night, there will be throngs of folks from just about every neighboring community: Bloomfield. Birmingham. Novi. (Frankly, which I think it's great the Union is drawing so much attention, I personally would appreciate it if y'all would stay at home and make it easier for me to get a seat at the bar. Okay? Thanks.)

Kidding aside, here's the deal.

The Union has a stellar menu that does not change very often. They also have an even more stellar specials menu. It's even more stellar because it contains the daily cracker crust pizza, and you'd be one strange human being not to get it. ONE STRANGE HUMAN BEING.

Other highlights you should not miss: if you are a beer drinker, it's like you have died and gone to Viking Valhalla, because you'll find yourself in a renovated church, which is like a giant hall, and there's a huge blackboard on the wall listing the 30+ craft beers and ciders they have on tap, and the blackboard is bigger than YOU, and that's impressive, because remember, you're a dead Viking.

So if you like beer, this is your place. I even found Founders KBS on tap there one day, and I was sitting next to a beer blogger (for real) who basically said finding KBS at random was like winning the lottery, and I thought, great, I get a good beer instead of winning 24 million dollars. Just my luck. And then I tasted KBS and suddenly I didn't care.

So.

Also, you've probably heard about the Union's award-winning mac-and-cheese, and let me tell you: it's every bit as good and amazing as you've heard. It's different, though: it's a sharper three-cheese blend, and it seems to have some undertones of sherry mixed into the cheese, which adds (IMO) it's signature flavor. One hint: the full order can feed two very easily, so unless you're sharing and/or want to take some home, order the half. I recommend getting the lobster and jalapeños added, but then again, I'm a weird person.

So we have beer, a renovated church, a Viking blackboard, pizza and mac-and-cheese.

Why you're still reading this and not on your way to the Union right now is anyone's guess.

Go. You won't regret it. If you sit at the bar, ask for Stephanie.

• Visited February 2013
Clarkston
“Awsome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is the best food and atmosphere. The mushroom gratan and mac and cheese is the best. Beer from everywhere.

Visited October 2012
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Fun atmosphere, selection of beers, and delicious food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

This restaurant is housed in an old church, so it has a lot of character and is a fun, cheerful place to be. We went on a Sunday night, found parking easily (I understand this isn't always the case), and were seated (on re-purposed church pews!) without a wait. The extensive list of craft and locally brewed beers is listed on a chalkboard on the wall, and your waiter/waitress can recommend several for a "sampler" to taste 5 - 4 ounce portions of them and pick your favorite. Prices are very reasonable, and food is fantastic. They are known for their mac-n-cheese that is homemade and some of the best I've ever had.....we ordered it and split it 3 ways, and by the time we finished, we were stuffed. Their Cobb Salad is flavorful and has its own unique blend of ingredients. We went on one of the coldest winter days (it was maybe 7 degrees out), and the building was very comfortable. The offer a homemade cheese and sausage sampler platter, other "home cooked" types of foods, and plenty of salads, sandwiches, and tasty appetizers.

• Visited January 2013
Sault Ste. Marie
“Unbelievably Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We saw this on Diner's Drive Inn's and Dives and had to try it on our way through Detroit. Great atmosphere - very busy but super fun. Great selection of beer on tap and the lobster mac and cheese was one of the best things I ever ate.

• Visited June 2012