“Mary Carole Paint Seminar”
Review of Doherty Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clare
Doherty Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clare
Harrison, Michigan
“Mary Carole Paint Seminar”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is our sixth year that the Doherty Hotel has hosted the Mary Carole Paint Seminar! We have artists come from Michigan and neighboring states, including Canada! The hotel, family, staff, food and accomodations have always been great. We enjoy the lunch buffet daily, the walks up and down main streets and the variety of shops. We hope that this tradition will continue, thank you Doherty!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SuzysuzyQ, Director of Sales at Doherty Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your return visit and for taking the time to write a review. The artists with Mary Carole's class are truly fun to have as guests. We look forward to your return next fall!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here for a golf getaway on the weekend of Sept 15th at the recommendation of friends. I can't believe all of the negative reviews, especially given the cheap prices paid. This is NOT a 5-6 star hotel (although you wouldn't know it by the extensive impressive menu in the restaurant) . You don't pay those kinds of prices either. The reviews I've read must have been written by spoiled prima-donnas who would find something to complain about no matter where they stayed. As Canadians, we're used to paying $120-$130 for a just a decent hotel!

The Doherty is a very charming family owned hotel that knows how to market great getaway packages for very reasonable prices. I'm not sure where the complainers stayed, but it surely wasn't the same hotel we stayed at. Our reservation was handled expertly, and the type of room requested was ready when we arrived. We had a regular king bed room overlooking the new pool area. Sure the pool area was little noisey on the weekend, but not so much that it disturbed our sleep. The mattress was not luxery, but then, we didn't pay luxery prices either. The carpeting was kind of seventies, but it was clean. There were a few minor dents in some of the furniture, but that is just normal wear and tear. Our room had a newer flat screen TV (about 32"), and a fridge. The bathroom was newer, although I was dissappointed that there was no tub, only a shower.

You won't find crystal wine glasses in the room (only styrofoam cups with the coffee maker), but a quick request at the restaurant, and we had our wine glasses for the night. Our request for extra pillows was filled promptly (within 5 minutes) and courteously too.

The bar/lounge area was a very nice meeting place. If you didn't care for the restaurant you could sit at a clean (linen tableclothed) table and order from the full menu while catching the game. We even had a nice chat with A.J. the 80 something patriarch who just happened to be sitting in bar next to us.

You MUST try the restaurant. I don't think there is anything that isn't on the menu. The mussels appetiser is an entire meal with 24 mussels in white wine sauce surrounded by toasted squares of bread for dipping. The homemade spinach bacon dressing is to die for!! You can get everthing from pasta to fillet mignon too!

Oh, and the package comes complete with buffet breakfast for your entire stay and two free coupons for the Doherty famous Bloody Mary. On the weekends, they even have a fresh omelet station.

We loved it so much we went back two weeks later (Sep 28th weekend). Again, our reservation was handled expertly. We stopped at the golf course on the way there (Doherty had us pre-registered), played our round, then checked in.

I really didn't see any evidence to support these complaints of dirty, inattentive staff, etc. It's not 5 star, but quaint, clean, with great staff, great prices, and a great menu.

Koudos Doherty. We wil be back.

Room Tip: We've only stayed in the newer section, and the rooms were fine. I can't comment on the old...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your positive comments and that you noticed "the little things" that make our independent family-owned and operated establishment unique.

We look forward to your next visit!
Westland, Michigan
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here because my husband was being cheap. For just a couple of dollars more we could have stayed in a hotel that was AAA approved and inspected by a brand that cared about its quality. My first inkling that thing may go wrong was when we trip mapped it and our Triple A agent said you know this isn’t approved or inspected for quality. The rooms were not very spacious the wall were paper thin highlighted by the couple in the next room making sure each could hear how each was pleasured by the other while their TV was blaring. Yes, my husband found it funny but I found it obscene. I did not want to share my romantic getaway with our next door neighbors (my husband didn’t laugh after that). The bed was too soft for my liking. The water never seemed to get hot enough and the motif of the motel seemed to come from the seventies (?). It is definitely time to start investing in room upgrades. We did not eat in the restaurant but it seemed to be recently remodeled. Maybe some of the food profit can go to keeping the motel guests happy.

1 Thank Malorie F

Travelers are raving about these Clare hotels

Allen Park, Michigan
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was very disapointed with events that transpired at this facility. Upon arrival our reservation was no where to be found. We were eventually given a room but in the old section. There is a reason not to select this section it is old small and undesireable. The staff seemed unresponsive and apathetic. This just was not the stay the that we had envisioned. Very unhappy.

3 Thank Greg F
Grandville, Michigan
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I don't know what has changed since the last reviewer stayed here, but almost none of what he said was true when I stayed at this place. The rate (at 55 dollars) was pretty good I usually stay at really nice places and rarely pay much more than 79. My room this was a gigantic disappointment. Sure it is folksy to stay at a 90 year old hotel but not when the mattress is original. (Truthfully it was probably only ten or fifteen years old) The carpet didn't look as it had been vacuumed, the furniture was worn and dated. The towels had that beige look that they get when they are just old and cannot be whitened with any kind of bleach. The room was just dinky (my mom has a walk-in closet that is this big) The TV was from last century and only nineteen inches. So fine if I was going to stay here I could take steps to fix my problems. I would go down to the desk and ask for clean sheets and towels. Instead I stood and listened while the clerk gets an earful from a restaurant patron who feels things are not up to par. Never again will I stay in an unknown hotel. I’ll spend the 10 or 20 dollars more and stay in someplace respectable. At least it feel clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ken L
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our golf group has been coming up to the Doherty for over 20 years and they have always taken very good care of us. We have grown from a foursome to over 50 guys, and we'll keep coming back to the Doherty. Fo the last 15 years, I have researched other Michigan golf packages and this is still the best deal. The package is very reasonably priced and gives a good variety of courses. Also, we have had no problems with the hotel meeting any of our group's needs. To be sure, this isn't the Ritz-Carlton, but for the value of hotel and golf in mid-Michigan, there is no way to beat this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SuzysuzyQ, Director of Sales at Doherty Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your time, kind words and repeat business. Working with golfers is one of my favorite job duties. I look forward to seeing familiar faces return year after year. Thank you for making me love my job!
Davison, Michigan
Reviewed September 26, 2012

A group of five made reservations here because of meeting we had in the area , most rooms were nearly sold out in the area and this was our last choice. There are reasons why this motel had availability! When we entered the lobby, the smell of smoke and mustiness was prevalent. The front desk clerk was unpleasant and unhelpful. The elevator was actually scary - so old and out-dated, we opted for the stairs when possible. Each person went to their room; we planned to meet in a room shortly after. Our room was very tired, and not very clean. We actually pulled down the spread and briefly checked the sheets because we were concerned about the cleanliness. We proceeded to our friend's room to find that one of the couples checked their bed and actually found a bug - that jumped! Gross. We were checking the room, and found other cleanliness issues. One other person said it looked as if their sheets hadn't even been changed. (Extreme gross) We knew we couldn't stay, and since there were no other vacancies, we went home - fortunately only about an hour and a half away. A very unacceptable end to our business in Clare.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clare
Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant
Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant
#2 of 13 in Mount Pleasant
Courtyard Mt. Pleasant at Central Michigan University
Courtyard Mt. Pleasant at Centra...
#5 of 13 in Mount Pleasant
Baymont Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant
Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel
Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites
Mt. Pleasant Inn & Suites
#10 of 13 in Mount Pleasant
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant

Been to Doherty Hotel? Share your experiences!