“Great Hotel”
Review of Doherty Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clare
Doherty Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clare
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Wonderful room, great food, outstanding service. The food is incredible.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank William H

Reviewed January 24, 2012

On our way to Detroit to catch a flight to Florida for our cruise vacation, our car died in Clare. Our tow truck driver said the only place he would stay in Clare (as if there's a lot of options) was the Doherty. He dropped us off there and we were panicked - our flight was scheduled to leave Detroit just 12 hours later and everyone we encountered said there was no cab service, no rental cars, basically no options in Clare. Oh, and of course this was in the middle of the first major blizzard this year. Pretty much screwed, we accepted a room for the night. The gentleman at the front desk (Tommy) took pity on us and offered to come back in the morning and drive us to Mt. Pleasant at 730 am to rent a car there. I'm pretty sure we would have missed our flight without his assistance. Who gets up early in the morning after working late, in a blizzard, to drive two people they don't even know to the next town? That's beyond great customer service. Oh, and we made our flight - at the very last boarding call, running through the airport!
The room was very quaint and I would stay here again if I found myself in Clare. Old style charm, but clearly well cared for over the years. Our room came with breakfast - not the cold continental type, but a selection of four different breakfasts to chose from with coffee. Very good food and service in the restaurant as well.
Thank you, Doherty hotel. I hope you know and acknowledge the kind of folks you have working for you. :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ticklemesquirt
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed at the Doherty while visiting family in the area. We had a poolside room that literally opened right out to the indoor pool deck area. We had a window that we could see the pool from,which can be very nice if you have kids that you trust in the water but still want to keep an eye on. Our room also had a cozy, gas fireplace. Beds were pretty comfortable and everything was very clean and spacious.

The interior design and woodwork inside the Doherty is gorgeous and I absoluetly loved the historical feel. If you are into modernity in design, the Doherty won't be your favorite. The food is excellent, albeit a tad pricey. There is, however, a 24 hr hour burger joint right across the street..but beware..it's cash only.

It's thenicest paly to stay in Clare and the only reason I gave it rates Very Good with me is that Ihave stayed at 5 star hotels. This is not 5 star, but it's very, very nice.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Allison O
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Doherty Hotel during an eight day oil painting seminar Oct 2 through October 10th by Mary Carole (an amazing instructor) in the hotel. We loved the Doherty! Even thought it has 150 rooms, the atmosphere is like a boutique hotel as it is owned and run by two Doherty brothers. We found the Doherty very charming and the food amazing! You could chose from a small breakfast menu or a buffet Mon-Fri included in the price of your room. We were very surprised to find such a good restaurant in a small town. The horseradish crusted salmon was the best salmon I've had in a long time. We ordered it twice while there. The only problem we had was the large size of each meal (-: We solved that by sharing a meal, which gave us room for their special chocolate cake made right in their kitchen. They also have a nice bar with Irish elf murals hand painted on the walls from the 1920's which we found charming.

We found the employees very friendly and helpful. The Doherty's staff were helpful by pointing out other good places to eat and shop in Clare and surrounding towns. The town of Clare is very charming with beautiful old homes, churches and unique shops. While I took art classes my husband rode bikes all over the area. Of course it was a beautiful time of year with the trees bursting out in amazing colors.

We had a great time. Enjoyed going back in time to the days when life was slower, streets not crowded and people spoke to each other in passing. Mary Carole has her seminars there every year during the fall and I am going back next year!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JoAnn J
Reviewed September 12, 2011

It was an ok hotel. It's pretty old and needs a lot of work, but it suited us fine for 1 night. The bed was comfortable and the room itself was pretty big. We didn't have breakfast or end up eating there, so I don't know how the food is.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I had eaten at the Doherty Restaurant and it was a little expensive but very good. So when my wife and I wanted to get away for a night I thought this would be a great place. Well, its OK but not great. You enter a beautiful and spacious abandoned, yes no one is there - foyer. You walk about half a block through carpet with spots and utility rooms with the doors open so you can see the supplies etc. and eventually you discover the front desk. Nice guy at the desk - asked to have my free breakfast cards back after an awkward moment when some leader lady told him secrets in front of me (let it go lady). I returned them to find out that you get no free breakfast on Sunday morning but you can but one for $9. Thanks anyway. Our room had only one window - it looked out over another non-decorated abandoned area next to the pool. Had to close that when the kids went swimming. Lamp shade is melted and absent three of four bulbs. And so it went. I'm sure the Doherty has seen great days - and it would not take much to get it back up to par. But as it is, they need to take a little pride in their establishment. If the desk clerk goofs up - tell him later, NOT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GUEST! CLean the carpets, buy some plants, put a welcome desk in the entry... try a little. The Senator would be ashamed of what has happened to this facility. Sorry but we probably won't drop the money here again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding. The staff was friendly enough, but they offered little advice as to how to spend our down time in the tiny town of Clare. Dinner was excellent! We had the prime rib. I do recommend going else where for breakfast. We booked as wedding guest, so we got a discounted rate on the room, but even that was steep. I would never pay full price to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmully
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clare
Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel
Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hote...
#10 of 14 in Mount Pleasant
#1 of 1 in Clare
Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort
Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort
#2 of 14 in Mount Pleasant

Been to Doherty Hotel? Share your experiences!