“Disappointing Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chelsea
Detroit, Michigan
“Disappointing Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

It has been a long time since I have had such a disappointing stay at a hotel none the less a Holiday Inn Express. I am a Platinum Priority Club Member and Holiday Inn Express is my preferred place to stay.

The first evening I checked in the fire alarm kept going off. However, I certainly understadn mechanical issues are most times out of the control of staff members.

The major disappointments were a worker who had not a single ounce of empathy for several of us who could not connect to the internet. When there were two of us at the front desk trying to address the issue she never once made a single effort to help us. She only told us her computer was online and she had access to the internet.

As a Platinum Priority Club Member I have always had the luxury of a late checkout when needed. When I asked for a late checkout so I could complete a 1:00pm conference call in the comfort of my room, I was told the late checkout could only be extended to 1:00, which is when my call started. I completed the call in the lobby and was shocked that when I was leaving around 2pm, housekeeping was just pulling up her cart to my room as I was walking down the hallway.

Finally, the greatest concern about this stay was that my bill was given to someone else. A bill that contained my name, home address, company name and Priority Club number. The bill that was slid under my door during the last evening of my stay was for the wrong room. THe front desk confirmed my bill was given to the wrong room. This is such a concern since I go to great lengths to keep my personal inforamtion private due to the growing problems with identity theft. Once gain this issue was of no big deal to the front desk.

There are limited choices for hotel stays in this area but I believe I will search for other opportunities when I return to Chelsea.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ken S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Chelsea, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear -Ken S,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is the second time we stayed at this hotel when in Chelsea to attend performances at the Purple Rose Theater, and both times we found this motel to be clean, the rooms pleasant and the continental breakfasts to definitely be above average. Can't help loving the cinnamon rolls and the scrambled eggs, while steam tray quality, beat rubbery hard boiled eggs anyday.

The staff is helpful and polite. The rooms pleasant and inviting.

The only drawback is the pool is small and right off the lobby with big glass windows that expose you to whoever is walking by. It looks like it would be a great pool for people with children. Maybe not so much for couples, although we didn't try it either time.

Room Tip: We were woken up about 2AM by what sounded like children running back and forth overhead. If you do...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Palatine, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here to attend a funeral of a family member. There are not many choices.

The hotel itself is clean. The staff is nice. But we had some issues.
We had to have them issue us keys 2 times. The key cards we were issued were not able to open our door. They told us not to put them next to our credit cards. They were always in our hand, never next to our cards. The problem was in their card programmer.

The first night we had only 3 towels for 4 guests. We went down to the front desk and grabbed an extra towel. No problem. However, on the 2nd night's stay, we were again only given 3 towels. We had to use hand towels after a shower because we didn't have time to go get another bath towel.

Also on the 2nd night, they cleaned the room only to find that the toilet was not filling. I actually took the top off the toilet and fixed it myself. It was not flushing.

The A/C is also a bit loud and inconsistent. We were either hot or cold. No in between. But that's not the hotel's fault.

Breakfast was good and the staff was friendly.
Chelsea is still a small town and you don't have a lot of options for places to stay. This is clean. The other problems we had were unfortunate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Chelsea, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Suzanne S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy that you noticed the cleanliness of the room and found the staff nice. However, I humbly extend an apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here with our triathlon group for a race weekend. What a friendly and accommodating staff! They put out coffee and cold breakfast items way earlier than usual on race morning for us when we had just asked for a pot of coffee. Fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. And the staff congratulated us on our race when we returned. Also, the people who needed to leave race day had absolutely no issue with getting a late check out. Great place. I definitely recommend it. We will be coming back to Michigan for future triathlons, and this is where we will stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Well, I usually stayed at the comfort inn down the street but they also have an attached "conference area" and host a lot of weekend weddings and reunions and the comfort inn was a rockin' at night...no rest for the weary.
I decided this trip visiting family in the area I would give the Holiday Inn a shot. Weds. and Thursday night were wonderful, quiet and peaceful...Friday night OMG~ there is a jr. baseball team staying here and for some odd reason they put them on the third floor and unfortunately I am on the second floor. Last night was horrible with the noise coming through the floor, running, yelling, doors slamming..parents..really?
I stopped at the desk a bit ago and said "do you have a herd of elephants staying here?" she said she would talk to them...(keep in mind..I am not a complainer type person and things gotta be bad for me to say anything) I have one more night..stay tuned.
IF YOU STAY HERE ASK FOR THIRD FLOOR!
good..
it is a clean hotel, I see people cleaning common areas etc. rooms were clean except the tray that had ice bucket on it had spilt oj on it..rest of room was clean...bring your own water glass mine were sticky with oj lol. location is good, no xway noise (like I could here it, my elephants are back) stomp..stomp..stomp. door slamming above me. good location, lots of restaurants local. staff if friendly. breakfast looked reasonable but I don't eat at hotels due to diet etc. other than noise, nice holiday inn express.
bad..
umm I cant concentrate I hear kids running around above me, REALLY? who's watching these kids whilst they run amock in the hotel?
ugly..see bad above.be careful booking on Brooklyn race weekends, uofm games both hotels jack the price.
I think I will try another location next trip..I can't stand noise issues and I taught my kids to respect others when traveling, guess things have changed since I was a parent..wow..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Woodbridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were very happy with this hotel. I usually end up choosing Hampton Inn's out of habit and good reviews, but the location and price of this H.I.E. was right, and the reviews seemed positive, so we tried it.

This was a very short overnight stay, arriving at about 3 a.m. after a long ride, we only needed one night and were in town for a funeral.

Despite the late-night hour, the guy at the desk was professional and efficient. We didn't book in advance because we weren't sure how far we'd make it before getting tired, so I negotiated a rate at the desk, and this hotel offered a 'funeral rate' which was lower (maybe $10) than the AAA discounted rate I usually get at hotels.

The entire hotel (normal in Michigan) was smoke free, so that's a non issue.

Our room was what we requested, a king bed normal room (not a suite or anything fancy). The bathroom was very clean, the sheets/bed appeared very clean. We got a good short night of sleep and were happy.

The room had a nice TV but I don't even think we turned it on. The halls were quiet. There is a conrail-type rail out back... we did hear it in the morning while we were awake, but we didn't hear anything while sleeping. There is a pool and fitness room, looked nice but we didn't use it.

Breakfast was the typical free breakfast. The plus side is the hot food was actually hot and the cold was cold, which is all you can really hope for with a free hotel breakfast. Typical low quality odd tasting food somewhat representing what real breakfast is, but this is standard unfortunately and not a complaint about this particular location.

Checkout was smooth and quick with no B.S.

Location was just a few seconds from Route 94, easy on and off if you are just sleeping here while traveling on 94.

Room Tip: I suppose if the railroad noise bothers you, ask for a room on the FRONT side of the building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I were guests at a wedding in Ann Arbor. The couple reserved a block of rooms at this hotel. We had no idea what to expect but were nicely surprised! Front desk staffed at our time of arrival was nice enough. The hotel has nice amenities like 24 hour workout room. The location was about 20 minutes from where we needed to be, but we called the only local cab service and he was awesome! (Ask for Doug's info if you need transportation). The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were comfortable. The best part of the stay was the breakfast. There was great variety (the cinnamon rolls are incredible!!) and the young lady in charge of maintaining the stations was super awesome at her job. She was also very nice and accommodating. All in all a really great stay!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIE_Chelsea, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Chelsea, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We would like to thank you for your business. We recognize that there are plenty of other hotels in Ann Arbor to choose from so we are honored that you and several other Wedding Guests chose to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chelsea. I'm very happy to hear that the staff was so accomodating as that is what we strive for. We hope you will stay with us again if you make it back to Chelsea.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelsea
Comfort Inn
Weber's
Weber's
#13 of 34 in Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Chelsea? Share your experiences!