“My favorite restaurant in Michigan”
Review of Common Grill

Common Grill
Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in Chelsea
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hours are Tuesday-Thursday 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM, Friday-Saturday 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM and Sundays 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM
El Paso, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite restaurant in Michigan”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We ran across the Common Grill in Chelsea by accident some years ago and now plan our trips to be sure we can dine there. The food is unique and wonderful, service is great, The atmosphere is laid back but comfortable. I always recommend this to anyone who will be near the area.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Nancy H

East Lansing, Michigan
“Much improved”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have come here often over the years for a pre-theater dinner and always found they had a hard time getting food to the table hot. Not this time. Everything, especially the fish dishes, came to the table perfectly prepared and very hot. The service was excellent. The most common complaint about the place is that it is noisy. Boy, is it ever. I believe that after all these years, something could have been done about this. The other gripe I have is the no reservations policy for parties of fewer than six. There may be a practical reason for this but what could it be? I have been to restaurants in NYC that specialize in pre-theater and pre-opera dining and reservations are not an issue. The complaints over prices are misplaced. The cost of a good meal here is very reasonable

Boston, Massachusetts
“UNcommon Grill”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had been wanting to go to this restaurant for years and finally made it there. I now live in Massachusetts so was skeptical that a seafood offering inland could rival or even top what's available in my area, but CG's crabcakes definitely succeeded. I wish I'd been able to go there for dinner vs. lunch, as I would have liked to try more of the offerings. (Lunch isn't a large meal for me.) Also, I'd been warned by several people that I wouldn't like the noise level, but I was pleasantly surprised. CG had the good sense not to play music, so that eliminated a potential competing sound source, making conversation possible even though the restaurant was full up. Also liked the decorative murals. I will definitely try and return on a future visit to Michigan.

Detroit
“Quite trendy, and knows it”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

First time there, and probably last (I live 55 miles away; friends visiting AA from DC wanted to go, and we couldn't come up with a viable alternative in Plymouth).

Very noisy (as others have said), but with quite good fish dishes. I liked the Bouillabaisse, but my wife found the paella "bland". Friends both had the Lake Superior Whitefish (which they always have here), and loved it.

The much-remarked-upon bread WAS good, but is standard "Chuck-Muir" twist bread -- nicely salty, but uninspired. (I was hoping for some light, Italian style bread, such as the Lettuce Entertain You group's Chicago restaurant breads).

The service was outstanding; unhurried and uncrushed, but there when you wanted them. Very nicely done.

For me, it's just too far away, and way too noisy (even for a group of four). If you're nearby, go (unless you're a group of six or more) at least once, and see what you think.

Allenton, Michigan
“Seafood is Superb.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We arrived at 4:49 following the 3:00 performance at the Purple Rose Theater. I ordered the sautéed Lake Perch and Chris had the
paiella- A saffron-flavored Spanish dish made with varying combinations of rice, vegetables, meat, chicken, and seafood. Both were 'Joe Muer' quality. The wine list is all American. Both Sauvignon Blanc selections were excellent. Service is friendly. The manager stopped by to make sure that we enjoyed everything. We're coming back in January.