“Not as promised/records not kept properly” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Continental Inn Cheboygan

Continental Inn Cheboygan
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cheboygan
Michigan
“Not as promised/records not kept properly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

That's funny, we too stayed there July 4th weekend of 2011. Rate quoted over the phone was different than when one week before holiday arrived. I had a confirmation number, they also told me they don't give out confirmation numbers! THEN, Feb. 7th, 2012 the Owner (A LADY),
I won't give out her name to protect her privacy, CALLS me and tells me that I only did a check in and never checked out. WRONG! Their problem is their record keeping! When I checked out, the lady at the desk didn't know what she was doing and had to get help to be shown how to do it as a check out and not just as a check in. She tells me on the phone today, that this is what they showed, no check out. I told her you WILL NOT put that back on my credit card again. She said she would have to check better and get back with me again, if she couldn't find that it had been put through. What is she doing calling me in the first place if she can't find the records...I'll tell you why, she said it was easier to have me "pull it up" if I could! Good thing I keep my receipts! I can't believe this place. She wanted to know why I was upset!! What? You call me and tell me I didn't pay and you can't find your records and you want to know why I would be upset? Once I told her I had my receipt she hung up!! Well, do they not have anything better to do when times are slow I am assuming, than to call people up and tell them they don't have record of them not checking out?? I called back and told her this is pretty p
poor service, she being the owner and hanging up. I was not yelling, or rude, very firm about the fact that she was wrong and bothered to call me and have me have the burden of proof to her that I paid!! So, if you decide to stay here, MAKE SURE you keep your receipts, since they do not keep proper records of prices quoted or if you paid!! Then she wants YOU to prove it! We stayed there only to sleep, were out on the Lake during the day. Construction on roof woke us up early also. Room was clean, but smelled "old". The owner's dog ran around the parking lot alot, was lucky it didn't get hit. I would not stay here again. Good luck if you stay here.

Room Tip: Don't!
Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MichelleR72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Marietta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Continental Inn. The owners were friendly and made suggestions for sightseeing in the area. The inn is located right in downtown Cheboygan. You can walk to shops and restaurants downtown and easily walk to the beach, lighthouse, and pier with views of the Mackinac Bridge in the distance.

We had a two room unit. There’s a double bed and TV in each room. I really liked the extra counter space in the bathroom.

The A/C is only in one room so you have to keep the door open between the two rooms so the other room doesn’t get too hot.

Speaking of A/C, it’s funny how one of the other reviewers mentioned the missing knobs on the air conditioner unit. We were there during a heat wave and definitely needed the A/C. Our A/C unit had a knob on the fan speed control, but not on the temperature control. We found that you could pull the knob off the fan control and use it on the temperature control. We ended up sharing our one knob with other members of my family who were also staying at the Continental Inn (they didn’t have any knobs on their A/C units). That knob was like gold!

Other than the missing A/C knobs, it was a nice motel in a good location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank BAZ3142
Lapeer, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

We booked at this motel for our 4th july weekend holiday. We were going to stay at this place for three days and I had booked here on phone month ahead of time. We were promised different rates earlier ($115, $115 and $74) and then the manager called just week before the holiday and informed about increased rate for last night asking us weather we wanted to keep our reservation. Obviously, we could not get any reservation for similar rates at other brands due to holiday being so close, therefore frustrated we agreed to stay here.

The double bedroom option was good but the rooms seriously need maintainance and updatation. We only had 1 AC for the whole suite, AC did not have knobs for controls, no locks for restroom, and the inner bedroom smelled like urine when door was closed. When we complained about the smell manager was snobish to reply that they can't do anything about the smell !!! A courteous "we are sorry we will try to take care of it" would have been nice. Alas! this was the only bad thing about this trip. The quality of this place is not at all worth the rates being charged.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Cheboygan hotels

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

I highly recommend the Continental
My room was updated and very clean. The owners are super; friendly and helpful. The motel is located within walking distance of several good restaurants. Prices are very reasonable also.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank hogrider07
Spring Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

I had to go to Cheboygan on business. I found this hotel to be top notch. I stayed in their "Retro Room" which had a contemporary television set, but all of the fixtures (including the radio) were from the 1960's. Very cool. AND it had wireless AND wired internet service!

Staff was ultra friendly, rooms were super clean, and the price was fair--$49 per night. Now if you stay June-August, expect to pay more, as that is the tourist season. I don't get to Cheboygan often, but when I do, you can bet I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank MrPicture
Wayne County, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

I stayed there on August 4, 2009, while visiting friends in Cheboygan. The room was small with a mid size bed. The room was very musty smelling and the bed spread was very smelly. The rug had not been cleaned in a while. The air conditioner mounted in the wall in the bathroom area barely worked. The only service I used was the ice machine. The machine was full but the ice blocks formed one solid mass telling me that the ice machine had not been used to dispence ice in a while.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

While traveling Lake Huron's shoreline by motorcycle, we like to stay at local establishments whenever possible. This hotel was wonderful! The rate was right, the rooms and bathroom, though somewhat dated, were very clean and spacious and our proprietress was thoughtful and very helpful. The location was a block from the downtown area, where we found several excellent restaurants and cute shops. We could walk to everything, which is very important to us after a long day on a motorcycle. This property was NOT beachfront, but that wasn't important to us. We wouldn't hesitate to stay at this property again and highly recommend it if beachfront or luxury aren't important to you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheboygan
Fleetwood Inn and Suites
Crooked River Lodge
#1 of 1 in Alanson
BEST WESTERN River Terrace
Ninemile Point Bed & Breakfast Inn

Been to Continental Inn Cheboygan? Share your experiences!