“What a great sandwich!!”
Review of Johan's Cafe - CLOSED

Johan's Cafe
Cuisines: American
Description: has been a pastry shop, now he's opened it up to a quaint little cafe
Reviewed September 26, 2012

While strolling through Charlevoix we stopped to warm up and get some lunch at Johan's Cafe. I had this wonderful Veggie Panini that I wish I could recreate now that I'm back home. My family and friends are tired of hearing about how good it was and I'm not even a vegetarian! The cafe is not fancy but it's cozy, cute, and warm with obviously good food and very nice people.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had the pleasure of getting sandwiches from this shop twice while I stayed in charlevoix. While the sandwiches were good, the service and attitude of the employees was very less than stellar. It seemed very troublesome of them to even put multiple carry out orders into a bag for easy carrying. I had a second opportunity to have a sandwich fromthis shop one evening and encountered severely disinterested staff who were more interested in their friends visiting and chatting than helping customers

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We (me, teens, 17 and 11) had lunch here during Venetian Nights at the end of July. Although Charlevoix is heaving at this time of year, we were able to get a table outside, thus enjoying the good food and the music from the band playing on the grass opposite. Great views of the water as well. Food was very good, filling and ample choice for everyone with completely different tastes. They have a large bakery section and the paninis and salads were great too.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We wandered into Johan's after seeing a number of people coming out with what looked like delicious salads, and since it was close to lunch, figured we needed to try this place today. Kind of funky, old atmosphere, great art work, which we had pleennnttttyyy of time to admire while waiting - like others have said, a little disorganized, but really worth the wait. The turkey with cheese and peach spread panini was simply delicious! The salads were absolutely large enough to split, made fresh, and also delicious - tomorrow morning we might have to stop in and grab some of the fab looking donuts!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

On our most recent visit to Charlevoix, we were pleased to find a few new restaurants in town, and we decided to try Johan's for lunch.

I had the Turkey Club, which was nothing short of outstanding. My son had the Four Cheese Panini, and my wife had the All Veggie Panini, both of which were tasty and satisfying ( I should know; I tasted them both)! All sandwiches came with fresh kettle chips. We were able to sit outside in front of the storefront and people-watch while we ate.

Johan's had several sandwiches to choose from along with various other food items and specialty drinks. A quaint little restaurant with high-quality sandwiches is just want Charlevoix needed.

And now for the negatives, which prevent me from giving Johan's a five-star rating...They were extremely slow to get the orders out. We stopped there for lunch a little after 2:00pm and there were only a few parties before us, but it took about 25 minutes for Johan's to get our sandwich orders out. The couple before us was also waiting a long time because I could see that they were starting to get testy. At one point, I noticed that the three people working in the kitchen had all left their stations. Not a good thing to do when the customers can see you working and have been waiting a long time to get their orders.

Another negative was that there were at least three large food carts out in the dining area which not only took up valuable space (Johan's is not very big) but was also a bit of an eyesore. Those food carts should be in the back out of sight of diners. One of them had what looked like defective pastries on them, just sitting there.

The third negative? Flies. Lots of them flying around the dining area. I was glad we sat outside.

Unfortunately, there is a fourth negative. The food was fantastic, but pricey. Three sandwiches with chips + three waters = about $40.00. Yep, 40 BUCKS. It was good, but not worth that much dough.

Finally, after we finished eating, I went inside to request a to-go box. One of the cooks handed it to me, and I told him that the sandwiches were absolutely delicious...but do you think he would at least say "thank you, I appreciate hearing that?" Nope. He just looked at me and sort of grunted before walking away. You're welcome.

Anyway, the sandwiches are great and it's worth a visit if you've got patience to wait.

1  Thank John G