“Surprising seclusion and beautiful sunsets!”

Fisherman's Island State Park
Ranked #3 of 29 things to do in Charlevoix
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked not knowing anything about the grounds and picked site 13. The site was very nice, large enough for our 8 person tent and 2 cars. Lots of trees around us so we felt secluded, yet could see the stars above. Bathroom was rustic but at least just 2 sites down so close.

Quick min walk to the beach was nice but it is very Rocky there so we drove the 2 mi down to end of park closer to the tip of the former island and that part had nice sand and less rocks. Still I recommend aqua sock type shoes.

We found a spot on top of the dunes just down from the parking lot that had great view and sand.

Sunsets were amazing! We didn't hit up any hiking trails. We have done luddington hike in spots before but really enjoyed Fishermans equally if not a bit more bc could park car at site and still have secluded feel. Beaches are a bit nicer at luddington but still Fishermans were enjoyable - good for finding poteskeys as well!

Also if you are curious - you still can pick up 4g signal at Least on AT&T from spot 13! ;)

We would come back and really enjoyed a Sunday stroll thru charming charlevoix town too.

1  Thank KatoeOSU

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Empty, beautiful, quiet... The water was as clear and blue as the Caribbean. Sandy beach if you walk a ways down from the entrance.

2  Thank Mryuriy
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I had the most amazing time camping at Fisherman's Island State Park- I can't even express it enough (and this is coming from someone who wouldn't pick camping as her number one thing to do for a vacation)! The camping sites are very large, each one surrounded by enough trees to make you feel secluded and private, not to mention the camping sites right off of the water that have an amazing view. Unfortunately we weren't able to book a beach site, but the site we had was so perfect because we were right on the edge of the deep forest. The water is beautiful, the beach is great (make sure you have water shoes if you want to go swimming- very rocky) I will be going back next year! I feel like I found a hidden gem :-)

2  Thank person717
Reviewed July 27, 2012

While on vacation and looking for Petosky stones, someone suggested we try Fisherman's Island State Park.

I have to say, it's a bit deceiving trying to find the place! It looks like you're headed down some rural road with houses, not like you're going to a state park! There are no signs at the initial turn off the main road.

As you continue down this road, it looks like you're heading towards a salt plant! But don't be alarmed, this is correct.

You'll find a very small office, where if you are NOT a MI resident, you need to obtain a permit--I think it was about $8 for the day. Then you can proceed through to the park.

The camping grounds seem just absolutely gorgeous. I'm not a camper, but boy, if I was, this would be the place to go! Spots are secluded and surrounded by great views, and you're not on top of each other.

As you continue down, the park staff give you directions to get to the beach. It seems like you're on this road FOREVER, but just have patience. (It's a few miles... maybe 3?) The road eventually turns to gravel. You'll find a parking area that is all wooded. We found a lovely little bridge across a stream that was so pretty. Then there is a small bath through the woods and you'll hit the sand dunes.

Once you come over those dunes... prepare to have your breath taken away! It is like a little piece of heaven. It is just so beautiful, quiet, not many people, and clean. The water is crystal clear and the sand is so soft. My husband and his family walked along the beach... I, being the adventurous one, waded up to my thighs looking for the Petosky stones in the water. (Which we did find!)

Three tips:

1.) If a group of you are going from out of state, try to fit into one car. This will save you the cost of having to buy multiple permits to get into the park.

2.) Bring bug spray. There were some biting flies that were pretty nasty. They didn't bother me so much, but everyone else got pretty bitten up.

3.) If you plan on swimming, the ground is ALL ROCKS for quite a ways out, and they are EXTREMELY slippery. (I was convinced I'd end up in the ER a few times, it was so slippery. But I was good!) Those water shoes might not be a bad idea.

Beautiful little beach though, well worth the planning!

5  Thank TrinityDiodore
Reviewed July 24, 2012

It is clean , quiet and the sites are large. This is a wonderful camp for families and those who want peace , beauty and quietness. My most favorite place to camp in Michigan.

1  Thank AnnBDryden