“Awesome!! Beautiful.”

Fisherman's Island State Park
Ranked #3 of 28 things to do in Charlevoix
Reviewed July 27, 2012

While on vacation and looking for Petosky stones, someone suggested we try Fisherman's Island State Park.

I have to say, it's a bit deceiving trying to find the place! It looks like you're headed down some rural road with houses, not like you're going to a state park! There are no signs at the initial turn off the main road.

As you continue down this road, it looks like you're heading towards a salt plant! But don't be alarmed, this is correct.

You'll find a very small office, where if you are NOT a MI resident, you need to obtain a permit--I think it was about $8 for the day. Then you can proceed through to the park.

The camping grounds seem just absolutely gorgeous. I'm not a camper, but boy, if I was, this would be the place to go! Spots are secluded and surrounded by great views, and you're not on top of each other.

As you continue down, the park staff give you directions to get to the beach. It seems like you're on this road FOREVER, but just have patience. (It's a few miles... maybe 3?) The road eventually turns to gravel. You'll find a parking area that is all wooded. We found a lovely little bridge across a stream that was so pretty. Then there is a small bath through the woods and you'll hit the sand dunes.

Once you come over those dunes... prepare to have your breath taken away! It is like a little piece of heaven. It is just so beautiful, quiet, not many people, and clean. The water is crystal clear and the sand is so soft. My husband and his family walked along the beach... I, being the adventurous one, waded up to my thighs looking for the Petosky stones in the water. (Which we did find!)

Three tips:

1.) If a group of you are going from out of state, try to fit into one car. This will save you the cost of having to buy multiple permits to get into the park.

2.) Bring bug spray. There were some biting flies that were pretty nasty. They didn't bother me so much, but everyone else got pretty bitten up.

3.) If you plan on swimming, the ground is ALL ROCKS for quite a ways out, and they are EXTREMELY slippery. (I was convinced I'd end up in the ER a few times, it was so slippery. But I was good!) Those water shoes might not be a bad idea.

Beautiful little beach though, well worth the planning!

5  Thank TrinityDiodore

Reviewed July 24, 2012

It is clean , quiet and the sites are large. This is a wonderful camp for families and those who want peace , beauty and quietness. My most favorite place to camp in Michigan.

1  Thank AnnBDryden
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The beach area is sandy but the water is rocky. Bring water shoes or ask the ranger for best section for swimming if you plan to go in. Lake Michigan was warm enough for swimming but those rocks made it difficult to get in.

2  Thank mrobs08
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Great beach if you walk toward the point you reach sand, bit of a walk. We camped and experienced outhouse smell half mile away, some sites verrrryyyy small, we lucked out and had an empty one next to us that was not able to be a site any more to park boat and large tent on or we would have been on top of next site! If it rains, site does not dry out fast, all shade, took a day and a half to dry out! Close to everything in Charlevoix including boat launch.

2  Thank JoyIv
Reviewed July 5, 2012

we drove thru this campground got out and saw the sites and the water, beaches ect. would be a great place to camp.

1  Thank floyd1974_2010