“disappointing dinner”
Review of Whitney's of Charlevoix - CLOSED

Whitney's of Charlevoix
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Whitney's is committed to serving fresh,simple,good food in a fun relaxed atmosphere!You won't find any deep fryers here!
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Dined here one night and much money was wasted on the food. Service was slow and entrees brought out a different intervals leaving half of the party eating and a child and others waiting a long time for their dinners. Oysters were not fresh, whitefish pate was awful.

2  Thank Nancy749
vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Nancy,
Thank you for letting us know you were not happy with your experience at Whitney's. I read all of your reviews while you were in Charlevoix and clearly no restaurant was up tp your expectations. As you know, I was in the building working behind the Bar while you were here and I would have liked it if you would have taken the time to talk to me then rather than post it on a Trip Advisor. Possibly you didn't have the time?
We served many oysters that night......I know because I was shucking them. They were indeed fresh.....they were delivered that day and I personally made sure that each and every one of them is fresh. I have been serving oysters The Whitefish Pate that you referred to is an item that we make ourselves . We serve no less than 25 pounds a day and people rave about it. However, I can undersatand if it wasn't to your likeing.
Hopefully, you will come back and see us again and have a better experience!
All the best to you and your family,
Virginia B. Whitney

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I ordered calamari, and it was more bread than anything. It was terrible. Nothing special about the food either. Will not go again.

vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Wow! We get lots of good comments about our Calamari. I am upset that you felt it was sub par. Can you tell me what was wrong with yours so that I can fix the problem? Thank you for letting me know about your bad experience. Hope we can do better in the future!
All the Best,
Gina Whitney

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I am not one to typically review a place, but I was frustrated by this experience, so I felt it necessary to review.

My wife ordered the tuna and I ordered the daily special, the walleye. My meal was supposed to come with a truffled risotto, but it came with jasmine rice. My wife asked for her tuna to be seared and served rare, but it came much overdone. Not only was it cooked too much, but it wasn't prepared as described in the menu, nor was mine at that! We both recieved the same sides for our fish (it seems they ran out of their menu sides, so instead served jasmine rice and a vegetable medley to everyone who ordered fish, we paid attention to others). My fish tasted alright, a little bland, but my wife's tuna didn't taste very fresh.

As others stated, the views are great from the 2nd floor. As for the service, it was good. The hostess was friendly, and we were seated on time. Our waiter was very friendly, but our food took about 40 minutes to come out. Our waiter was good about refilling our glasses (I usually drink 5-6 glasses of water while out, and my wife jokes that you can gauge how good a waiter is by how often my glass is empty).

My wife and I hate being the "difficult" patrons, so we only mentioned our issues after we paid our bill (hers was $25 and mine $22). They were clearly having issues that night because they kept asking how everything was, saying they have had mixed reviews tonight. We counted 5 groups near us that were complaining about something, receiving a discounted meal, or asking to speak to the manager. What we found frustrating is that they clearly recognized they were having problems that night, yet they did nothing to correct it. As a member of the service industry, I think it is the responsibility of the servicer to recognize their mistakes, without a fuss from their patrons, and remedy them. I feel you can either be the jerk and receive a discounted meal, or be kind and have to pay full price. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, assuming it was just a bad night, but at 20 to 25 a meal, I don't think these nights should happen.

I want to emphasize that I don't usually write reviews, nor am I a picky eater (I love any and all foods), but I was not impressed with my experience. Because of my experience, I found it necessary to at least make future patrons aware of potential issues.

Thank you for your most candid review of Whitney's. I appreciate all that you mentioned about your experience. If I don't know we can't improve!
All that being said, we obiviosly dropped the ball on this evening given what you said about other patrons. Please know that we have addressed your concerns with our Chef. I know that if you come back to Whitney's in the future you will have a much better experience.
Hope to wait on you soon,
V. B. Whitney (Gina)
Owner

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place has a great view of Round Lake and "downtown" Charlevoix from its second and third floor. The food is good and the servers are really friendly. They work REALLY hard to carry food from the first to the third floor! A great place!

vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Yes, I would agree with you Whitney's is fun! Thank you for noticing. Our staff is fun and our customers are fun! Kudos to you for noticing!!
Virginia(Gina) Whitney
Owner

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I always get the locals suggestions on restaurants.
And once again, we were pretty happy with the choice.

Only a few minor things that can be worked on.
We didn't get the warm welcome we expected that the locals were talking about.
We had kids and we were given a table right in the middle of the restaurant where it was just awkward, next to the bar, we had 4 kids with us from age 3-12.
Also when you have kids you just want to sit away from everyone who wants a quiet dinner.
Later, we found out there were plenty of room on the second floor.
The receptionist was tall and stunning but she needs a little training on how to use her charm and beautiful smile.
We are Filipinos and we are use to a hospitable treatment. We always come in with a smile and if that's not reciprocated, we take it at heart.
Our waitress was great, she knows her menu pretty well, but forgot the how to's of serving and tablesetting. We were a party of 8 and only got 4 place settings.
When I asked the receptionist for more settings she said, " Oh you need more? How many?"
Maybe counting the place setting and counting her guests before she seats them would help to tell her how many more we needed.
There's 8 of us and we got 1 tiny basket of bread, I believe there were 2 pieces of the 6 inch bread in the basket. An inch and a half per person maybe? ;)
It was a busy week last week, but everyone should be able to work under pressure and no excuses on forgetting the how to's of great service, you need to give guests a reason to come back, and a reason to tell their friends to visit too.

Kudos to the Chef, everyone was happy with the dish they ordered.
The food was great. I especially loved my Clam Linguini with White Wine Lemon Sauce, tomato and onion.

I gave you a good review on my blog, I just hope you can work a bit more on your service especially with guests from different cutures.
We will definitely come back next year.

vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Thank you for alerting me to the problems you had while dining at Whitney's. I will address your concerns with my staff and correct them. Thank goodness for people like you that take the time to write reviews. If I don't know we can't improve.
All the Best to you and your family,
Virginia (Gina) Whitney