“Overpaid for a poor experience.”
Review of Whitney's of Charlevoix - CLOSED

Whitney's of Charlevoix
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Whitney's is committed to serving fresh,simple,good food in a fun relaxed atmosphere!You won't find any deep fryers here!
“Overpaid for a poor experience.”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I am not one to typically review a place, but I was frustrated by this experience, so I felt it necessary to review.

My wife ordered the tuna and I ordered the daily special, the walleye. My meal was supposed to come with a truffled risotto, but it came with jasmine rice. My wife asked for her tuna to be seared and served rare, but it came much overdone. Not only was it cooked too much, but it wasn't prepared as described in the menu, nor was mine at that! We both recieved the same sides for our fish (it seems they ran out of their menu sides, so instead served jasmine rice and a vegetable medley to everyone who ordered fish, we paid attention to others). My fish tasted alright, a little bland, but my wife's tuna didn't taste very fresh.

As others stated, the views are great from the 2nd floor. As for the service, it was good. The hostess was friendly, and we were seated on time. Our waiter was very friendly, but our food took about 40 minutes to come out. Our waiter was good about refilling our glasses (I usually drink 5-6 glasses of water while out, and my wife jokes that you can gauge how good a waiter is by how often my glass is empty).

My wife and I hate being the "difficult" patrons, so we only mentioned our issues after we paid our bill (hers was $25 and mine $22). They were clearly having issues that night because they kept asking how everything was, saying they have had mixed reviews tonight. We counted 5 groups near us that were complaining about something, receiving a discounted meal, or asking to speak to the manager. What we found frustrating is that they clearly recognized they were having problems that night, yet they did nothing to correct it. As a member of the service industry, I think it is the responsibility of the servicer to recognize their mistakes, without a fuss from their patrons, and remedy them. I feel you can either be the jerk and receive a discounted meal, or be kind and have to pay full price. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, assuming it was just a bad night, but at 20 to 25 a meal, I don't think these nights should happen.

I want to emphasize that I don't usually write reviews, nor am I a picky eater (I love any and all foods), but I was not impressed with my experience. Because of my experience, I found it necessary to at least make future patrons aware of potential issues.

vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your most candid review of Whitney's. I appreciate all that you mentioned about your experience. If I don't know we can't improve!
All that being said, we obiviosly dropped the ball on this evening given what you said about other patrons. Please know that we have addressed your concerns with our Chef. I know that if you come back to Whitney's in the future you will have a much better experience.
Hope to wait on you soon,
V. B. Whitney (Gina)
Owner

Landen, Ohio, United States
“Fun times!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place has a great view of Round Lake and "downtown" Charlevoix from its second and third floor. The food is good and the servers are really friendly. They work REALLY hard to carry food from the first to the third floor! A great place!

• Visited August 2012
vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Yes, I would agree with you Whitney's is fun! Thank you for noticing. Our staff is fun and our customers are fun! Kudos to you for noticing!!
Virginia(Gina) Whitney
Owner
Novi, Michigan
“Yum but a little work on the service would help.”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I always get the locals suggestions on restaurants.
And once again, we were pretty happy with the choice.

Only a few minor things that can be worked on.
We didn't get the warm welcome we expected that the locals were talking about.
We had kids and we were given a table right in the middle of the restaurant where it was just awkward, next to the bar, we had 4 kids with us from age 3-12.
Also when you have kids you just want to sit away from everyone who wants a quiet dinner.
Later, we found out there were plenty of room on the second floor.
The receptionist was tall and stunning but she needs a little training on how to use her charm and beautiful smile.
We are Filipinos and we are use to a hospitable treatment. We always come in with a smile and if that's not reciprocated, we take it at heart.
Our waitress was great, she knows her menu pretty well, but forgot the how to's of serving and tablesetting. We were a party of 8 and only got 4 place settings.
When I asked the receptionist for more settings she said, " Oh you need more? How many?"
Maybe counting the place setting and counting her guests before she seats them would help to tell her how many more we needed.
There's 8 of us and we got 1 tiny basket of bread, I believe there were 2 pieces of the 6 inch bread in the basket. An inch and a half per person maybe? ;)
It was a busy week last week, but everyone should be able to work under pressure and no excuses on forgetting the how to's of great service, you need to give guests a reason to come back, and a reason to tell their friends to visit too.

Kudos to the Chef, everyone was happy with the dish they ordered.
The food was great. I especially loved my Clam Linguini with White Wine Lemon Sauce, tomato and onion.

I gave you a good review on my blog, I just hope you can work a bit more on your service especially with guests from different cutures.
We will definitely come back next year.

• Visited July 2012
vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you for alerting me to the problems you had while dining at Whitney's. I will address your concerns with my staff and correct them. Thank goodness for people like you that take the time to write reviews. If I don't know we can't improve.
All the Best to you and your family,
Virginia (Gina) Whitney
Dryden
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The food was freshly prepared and delicious. The staff was friendly and service fantastic. We only enjoy freshly prepared food and excellent service and Whitney's has both. We will return when in Charlevoix .

Visited July 2012
I am glad you enjoyed Whitney's. It is customers like you that make our day.I would enjoy talking to you the next time you are in Whitney's. Please alert the staff that I want to chat with you the next time you are in the restaurant.
All the Best,
Virginia (Gina) Whitney
Charlotte,NC
“Great place for drinks with friends”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We visit Charlevoix every summer and always spend a few evenings at Whitney's. The staff treats you like family and the atmosphere is relaxed and fun. The upstairs is our favorite spot.

• Visited July 2012
vbwhitney, Owner at Whitney's of Charlevoix, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I agree I have a great staff! They amaze me everyday with how much they care about their customers. Please let me know the next time you are in Whitney's so that I may thank you in person.

All the Best,