“Pretty cool”

Castle Farms
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Charlevoix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Open year round, Castle Farms is one of Northern Michigan's top historic attractions, as well as one of the Midwest's premier wedding venues. Visitors can stroll throughout the magnificent stone buildings dating back to 1918, and enjoy gorgeous gardens. A variety of museum quality collections featuring castles, antique toys, and royalty memorabilia from around the world are displayed throughout the buildings. The Castle's 1918 Museum showcases items from that time era, plus World War I memorabilia. Children delight in feeding the huge rainbow trout swimming in the Reflection Pond, playing a game of giant chess, or hide-and-seek with the fairies and gnomes dwelling in the Enchanted Forest. Our Self-Guided Tours offer Scavenger Hunt tours for children, too! Everyone loves The Castle's Garden Railroad; with more than 1/2 mile of track and 68 G-scale trains, it's one of the largest in the State. Listed on both the National and State Historic Registries, Castle Farms is a world-class historic property where old world charm and modern-day elegance enchant visitors of all ages.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 24, 2013

It was pretty and I enjoyed walking around. I feel like their enchanted forest could be A LOT better. It's just a path through the woods with some lawn gnomes scattered about. I kept looking around for things hiding... fairies in the trees or stuff like that... nothing. The gift shop had some pretty stuff and the place would be awesome for a wedding.

1  Thank lizmorgan11
castlefarms, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Farms, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience while visiting Castle Farms last summer. We’re glad you enjoyed the Castle and gardens. We agree that the Castle provides the perfect spot for a wedding, and we think our Gift Shop is awesome! We appreciate your feedback about the Enchanted Forest. Linda Mueller, the Castle’s owner, is always looking for fresh ideas. We’ll be sure and share your comments. Meanwhile, the fairies and elves that usually hang out in the Enchanted Forest’s trees and bushes must have magically vanished when they heard you coming. Did you happen to spot the Mossy Moose? For such a sizeable creature, he’s quite shy and tends to keep to himself. We do hope you’ll consider a return visit in future, and see what fascinating things the Forest has to offer.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We cannot express our gratitude to the staff of Castle Farms. Our Coordinator Jenna Williams made everything possible for us! She was so sweet and just made sure I had everything, she helped calm my nerves when times were needed, we lost my mom's pendant picture for my bouquet and she went searching for it immediately! Jenna is absolutely amazing! The Venue in itself says it all, if you want a very unique, beautiful, breathtaking, fairytale location THIS is it :) The pictures just don't do it justice and you really have to be there in person to see how beautiful it really is.

My husband and I found this place completely by accident 3 years ago before we were even engaged! A customer of mine brought in all these brochures from Up North because I had never been anywhere north of Grand Rapids, and we thought the Castle was a museum. When we got here we were completely taken back by the scenery, and how beautiful it was! We sat down and watched the Video that Castle Farms provides for tours, and instantly fell in love with the history of it all. My husband then looks up at me and says "if we ever got married in Michigan this would be the place"... that was before I even had the ring! About a year later he proposed, then it was onto planning with the Castle!

We took a trip in October of 2012 back up to the Castle ready to sign papers! (The Late) Stacy Heath helped us through signing our papers and figuring out which rooms we wanted to get married in and have our reception in. She was completely amazing.

We chose the Knight's Courtyard because of the Arches, and we loved the idea (like a lot of brides) to have an outdoor ceremony. I liked the thought of also walking down the isle to my husband through a walkway where he or the guests couldn't see me for the initial first look and reactions. And I right then and there saw exactly how I was going to decorate it.

We then chose the West Garden room to have our reception in. We loved the idea of having our ceremony in one part of the castle then showing our guests a different part so that they felt like they weren't all in the same room. I loved the courtyard and the gazebo is completely adorable and perfect for a private courtyard for your guests to play games and mingle. We loved the look of white and those chandeliers were breathtaking! Not to mention all the doors on both sides of the reception room open up because they French double open doors. That was even more perfect!

All in all I could go on and on about my experience with Castle Farms but we made an amazing decision by having our wedding here. It was truly the best day of our lives!!! And I really have to thank Jenna for everything she has done!

I can't wait to come back for our anniversary! :)

1  Thank Elizabeth D
castlefarms, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Farms, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

What a wonderful story! We love hearing from our brides and grooms. Thank you for sharing how you fell in love with each other AND the Castle! We’re delighted that your storybook romance and Castle Farms wedding were every bit as magical and exquisite as you imagined. You’re absolutely right that Jenna and our amazing staff (including the late Stacy Heath, who we dearly loved and very much miss) do a superb job in making sure our Castle couples and their guests have a fabulous time while at the Castle. Congratulations again! We look forward to welcoming you when you return on your anniversary!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of taking a tour of this attraction with some friends of mine this weekend. Our tour guide, Kathy, was wonderful and I very much enjoyed our tour through the Farm and learning about it's history. My husband and I are definitely planning returning this summer so we can see the gardens in all their glory.

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent tour of Castle Farms. We think Kathy and all our tour guides are amazing, and we’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to seeing you next summer when our magnificent gardens are in full bloom!

Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Had daughters. wedding at the Castle. We loved it. People. From all over the USA loved. It.
Great time by all

castlefarms, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Farms, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share about your daughter’s recent wedding at Castle Farms. We love our Castle brides and grooms, and we’re always delighted when we hear it was a successful event for family and friends alike. Please give the newlyweds our best!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The staff is outstanding.. The Castle is often used by local fund raising events and has several festivals throughout the year, as well as being a gorgeous setting for weddings. Charlevoix is a charming destination in itself with art galleries and sweet shopping in a beautiful setting.

We always appreciate hearing feedback from guests who’ve visited the Castle. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. The Castle does host numerous events and festivals throughout the year, with their success due in part to our terrific staff. We agree wholeheartedly about our little gem of a town – there’s a reason it’s called ‘Charlevoix the Beautiful’. We look forward to seeing you again at Castle Farms!