“What a Wonderful Experience this was!”

Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Charlevoix
michigan
“What a Wonderful Experience this was!”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed at the Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, in Charlevoix, MI, for the first time, in May 2009. We heard from friends that this was a wonderful place to go, and were they right. This is the perfect place to get away with a spouse. My husband and I went here for a weekend for our 10 year Anniversary. It was so perfect. We stayed in a suite, which had a king size bed, jacuzzi tub and a view of Lake MI. It was so clean, and nice. The workers were so friendly and caring. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Its the perfect getaway for anyone. Plus, Charlevoix is a fun town.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsDawn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 19, 2009

After reading all the glowing TripAdvisor reviews for this hotel, I decided to book a night on my way through Charlevoix --I was on a roadtrip around northern Michigan, mostly U.P. but I came down the Mackinac Bridge and opted to find a place to stay in the vacation areas --I made my reservation over the phone on the road. The hotel was above average, but not nearly the "excellent+++" hotel I was led to believe.

I feel I'm partially to blame for this, looking at many of the reviewers, they only had one review --for this hotel. So I have no idea what their comparisons are to. My comparisons are to hotels from the 2-5 star range, and this is something like a 3 star (as a separate ranking than my opinion, which is coincidentally a 3 - average): The hotel has a weird imbalance of being great in some areas, but poor in others.

The Good: There's free, wireless internet. The front desk was helpful and polite. They have flat screen TVs. The room was quite large, and had some interesting, positive quirks: the bathroom is separated from the sleeping area by both a door and very large sliding screen on one side of the large whirlpool tub --I assume this is so people can watch the TV --it makes the room seem even bigger than it is (and it has a good sized couch/seating area). The location is excellent for the small and, frankly, boring downtown Charlevoix (more on that later).

The Average: Yes, there's free continental breakfast, but its the quality you'd find at a Days Inn or 2-star equivalent. The room wasn't lit very well, and what was lit had the dull-beige light and walls you see at older hotels.

The Bad: There's no fitness equipment of any kind, only lame excuses from the front desk, so bring your running shoes if you want to keep up any modicum of a workout --this was by far the most glaring omission to me. Despite keeping the window and doors closed, I kept finding mosquitoes by the sink! Very annoying. Thankfully they seemed to be konked out by another problem with the room: The climate control was ridiculous --it was either very cold or extremely cold. Let me be clear, I normally LOVE cold (I "run hot" as movie character once put it), but this room was the coldest I've ever seen --to the point where it was uncomfortable (even with the settings to as hot as they would go). They appear to use central air, so the building may have been switched to the cooler (my apartment building works like this) --on the plus side, this seemed to work against the mosquitoes that kept materializing. Going back to the location, while address is right next to the downtown, there isn't much to do. The area can be done in one afternoon or evening. There are three bars in the entire area, and they're either dead or so-so. This last part isn't necessarily the hotel's fault, of course, but it is the counterweight to the location plus.

Overall, the clientele consisted of senior citizens or families --this goes for the entire city. Honestly, if you've been to either coasts or Europe, I completely fail to see the allure of this region. It seems to be popular with people who grew up going here, before jet travel became as available to the masses, and the children of those old-time vacationers who now have their own kids.

As a hotel, I can say its uneven attributes add up to an average rating. Won't be coming back to the town, but if I do, I'll try a different place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank BobakLives
Findlay, OH
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We made our second trip to the Weathervane Terrace in Charlevoix in March of 2009. We had an excellent experience last Fall and decided to stay there again. Our expectations were exceeded! From the moment of our arrival, where we were graciously greeted by a friendly helpful desk person (we thought she was the Company Ambassador as she was exceptionally pleasant, warm, congenial, enthusiastic, and wanting to assure that our every need was attended to), to a spacious clean room, to the breakfast buffett and attendent, to an exciting view of the channel between Lake Michigan and Round Lake, our stay could not have been better. The cleaning ladies in the morning, again, were friendly and courteous. We cannot wait to visit there again, and will probably be there in April and then again in the Summer.
The Weathervane Terrace has a great location, just across the drive from an outstanding First Class restaurant, where you can sit and watch boats going through the channel, (although there were no boats in March, we expect to see some in April and next Summer) and a very short walk to both the beach along Lake Michigan (the ice was awesome) and the quaint shopping along Bridge Street.
Our stay at the Weathervane Terrace was definitely the highlight of our stay and we look forward to many happy return trips.
We feel confident enough to recommend the Weathervane Terrace to all of our friends from OH who will be traveling there next summer.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Orion Twp, MI
Reviewed March 24, 2009

The wife and I needed to get away. We have stayed at the Weathervane many times before, but decided to do a winter get a way. The Valentine's Day special, suite with a fireplace and chocolates, was very romantic and enjoyable.

We also were able to sit in the lobby with some friends, and family, who also came up with us, in front of the huge fireplace there and spent hours talking and enjoying some wine. It is a great room to enjoy with friends and family. The kids used the free PC in the lobby to play online games.

The hotel is also close to lots of winter activities for the family, which was enjoyed by all. Besides the large ski slopes near by, on the north side of town is a small ski hill, sledding hill, ice rink, and cross country ski/ snow shoe trails that we enjoyed. We took walks to the end of the pier and on the beach of Lake Michigan. The group also took a winter rafting trip down the Jordan River. It was fabulous. Hitting the spa after our winter excursions, to warm up and relax was enjoyed by all.

We did walk the town, but most stores were closed this time of year. We enjoyed great meals in a number of the local resteraunts.

We will continue to use the Weathervane as our up north get a way, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Came with two small kids and they loved this hotel like no other. Huge breakfast room where they could eat cereal, fruit and pastries for hours while enjoying the room and fireplace (with lake view) while racing cars and playing ball. This continental was equal to a two hour babysitting escape.

Clean and updated rooms but not a boring, new "fancy" hotel. This place is a cross between a bed-and-breakfast and a 5-star luxury hotel. Great service from the front desk (they know everything in town and will help you with activities and dining tips) and awesome location in Downtown Charlevoix overlooking two lakes!

Can't say enough about this place. I'm not sure why they don't charge twice as much for their rooms (based on location and unique offering).

This will become an annual trip for the family!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank KidsinMinivan
Lansing, MI
Reviewed March 4, 2009

This hotel is in a good location for walking but getting out of the parking lot is a pain. Also, we were pulling a trailer and couldn't manuver it in and out of the driveway. We had to park the trailer on the street. Also, we stayed in the older part of the hotel. The rooms were small and dark. The stairs up to our second floor room were winding and exposed to the weather. Not something you want to climb on a cold winter night with your luggage or children. No indoor pool. Breakfast was minimal. The lobby is not attached to the rest of the building, so going for breakfast caused much hassle as well since we have to get the kids fully dressed in coats, hats, boots, etc. This just isn't a very family friendly place.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KaySmith_9
Indiana
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We wanted a romantic place at a great price not too far from the snow skiing at Boyne Mountains or Boyne Highlands. The Weathervane Terrace exceeded our expectations. Room had a view of Lake Michigan on a private balcony, a 2-person Jacuzzi, fireplace and wide-screen TV. Continental breakfast was available in a large room with a wood-burning fireplace. For those without their own in-room Jacuzzi, there is a large public one on the top floor in a round room with plenty of windows to view the city and the lake. We couldn't believe we had all this for just $79 a night. Staff was friendly, room was clean. We intend to return every year.

• Liked — good accomodations at a great price
  • Disliked — Maybe they could upgrade their free continental breakfast to include more hot buffet items?
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank speeddaddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlevoix
Charlevoix Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey
The Apple Tree Inn
The Apple Tree Inn
#6 of 15 in Petoskey

Been to Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!