“Back in time with modern benefits1”

Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Charlevoix
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I made the arrangements to stay here 2 days before 7 of us arrived in the middle of July! Great service and quaint rooms. This hotel has great character! The rooms were huge. We had 2 rooms with 2 queen beds that were adjoining. This was perfect! We tried out the pool, and sat on the patios too! Will definitely be a return trip in the future!

Room Tip: Discounts for AAA members!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Irene H, General Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Tara0302,

Thank you for your wonderful Tripadvisor review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. A great room tip for guests to ask for a AAA discount as the discount can be quite substantial. We have so many guests that enjoy the connecting rooms that we have. I am glad that the weather was great so that you could enjoy the pool area. The private balconies and patios are a great plus on the rooms with 2 queen beds. I look forward to your return stay with us.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We came for a wedding at the Farm Castle and this was one of the host hotels. To give you a perspective, we are large travelers for business and pleasure. We are used to all types of accommodations from Holiday Inns to Hyatt Hotels. The key we look for is cleanliness and comfort. So, here's what we found here.

First the pluses....We requested the Michigan suite so we could see the sunset on our balcony which was really nice. The room was clean and certainly spacious for my husband, I and my 17 year old daughter. There was a Queen in the bedroom connected to the living room area. the bath had 2 doors; one to each room which was a nice layout for the 3 of us.
The location of the property was great. Walking distance to town, the beach and the harbor. That was the best part of this place. It was quiet and we were on the first floor.

On the downside....We specifically requested a blow up mattress for my daughter to use instead of the pull out couch. when we asked for it to be delivered to the room we were told there were none left. And it didn't appear on our record that we requested it. So, we pulled out the couch to find that the mattress was uncomfortable (as they usually are). In fact more uncomfortable than usual due to the frame not being level; it actually went downhill from the head to the foot area - and you could feel the springs through the mattress. So, we took it off the frame, put the couch pillows on the mattress and then remade the bed so my daughter could be comfortable. To say the least it was not ideal.
The bed for our use was not comfortable at all. It was extremely soft and the pillows didn't seem fresh. The curtain in the room was old and the window it covered needed to be replaced. There was no headboard so we couldn't lean up against the back of the bed and read easily. Not what we are used to.
The bathroom was ok and we liked the Jack and Jill aspect of it. What was weak however was the 3 (only 3) small bath towels and the amenities. There was an extremely small soap to use and shampoo but no conditioner. We were there 2 nights and all showered each day and had to request more soap.
Next door to the property and across the driveway from our room was a B&B. So when we were on the balcony watching the gorgeous and peaceful sunset, there were people on the porch of the B&B smoking. This took away from the enjoyment quite a bit.

I'm not so sure there were other places in this area that were much better. It didn't seem like there were any high end properties so this might have been the best there was.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank laura1955
Irene H, General Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Laura1955,

Thank you for your review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites on TripAdvisor. I was so glad to hear that you were able to see the sunset from your balcony and take in some of the great sights of Charlevoix.

I have had maintenance take a look at the sofa in your room. That is not the way the sofa beds are supposed to work. I don’t know why there were only three towels in your room. Housekeeping is instructed to put four sets in each room, so I have also talked to the head housekeeper about your concerns. Only the three Lake Michigan suites on the west end of the building have the extra port-hole window in the bedroom. These windows are large so we do not have a headboard in those three suites that would cover up the extra window.

We hope that you will come to Charlevoix again and stay with us.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a road trip for our 25th Wedding anniversary. We spent our anniversary there on July 1. We had a lovely Suite that had a view of Lake Michigan. The accommodations were very comfortable. The location could not be any better, close to shopping, restaurants and of course the draw bridge. Breakfast was just ok. I would stay there again without a doubt. Very nice and would recommend it to anyone staying in Charlevoix.

Room Tip: All suites have a lake view if you don't mind the extra money for a suite and a view. I don'...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Irene H, General Manager at Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Terry U,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. It sounds like you had a great vacation while celebrating your 25th anniversary. Congratulations!

We have added a number of things to our breakfast in the last year…. waffles, hard boiled eggs, and yogurt are the most recent. Along with the cereal, English muffins, coffee cake, and bagels, we have tried to make our continental breakfast as pleasing as possible. It is also handy that we are walking distance to downtown restaurants that serve a full breakfast.

I hope that you have the chance to come back to Charlevoix and will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights for Thanksgiving, really enjoyed the stay. Had a Jacuzzi room, really big, updated, big flat screen TV. Nice view from our room, close to the lake. Really nice lounge like room near reception, with the famous fireplace.
Free included breakfast - regular american breakfast, toast, bagel, fruit, all carbs.
Ate Thanksgiving dinner at the Weathervane restaurant across the street - fabulous.
The whole downtown is just amazing: french boutique, chocolaterie, even burger place was fancy ... really enjoyed.
Also nice walk around the town to see the Earl Young Hobbit Houses. Also there is a acstle close by, worth visiting.
Very relaxing, would come back in summer time as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarraD

Dear SarraD,

Thank you for your great review of TripAdvisor. It was nice to see a “winter” review and pictures in the middle of our “summer reviews”.

We have expanded our continental breakfast to include hard boiled eggs and yogurt for those guests that may want to cut some “carbs” from their diet. It is also good to hear that you took in so many sites of Charlevoix in November. The Earl Young homes and the Castle are some beautiful places to walk or drive to and explore.

I hope that you will be back to visit us again the next time you are in Charlevoix.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This landmark hotel in Charlevoix is a great place for travelers who would like a spacious room right downtown. We stayed in one of the third-floor suites and enjoyed having the option to self-cater our meals from the Oleson's grocery store four blocks away. The room was clean and provided a somewhat separate sleeping area from our kids so we could stay up later without disturbing their sleep. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our kids enjoyed the pool, but I was a little put off by the strong smell (it was very clean-looking, but the smell was unlike the chlorine smell most pools have). That was a minor issue, though. We had a great time there and liked that we could watch the drawbridge open and close for all the sailboats and the Beaver Island Ferry. Overall, this was an excellent hotel where I would be happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor of the farthest building in. These have skylights in the kitchen, whi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Rebecca_1742,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. I am glad that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. The pool area is a big hit for families. With the warm weather we have been having the pool gets a lot of use and the view is bonus. I like your room tip also. The sky lights on the third floor really flood the room with extra light.

I hope to see you again the next time you are vacationing in Charlevoix.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights for a wedding at Castle Farms. The location is perfect. About a 7 minute drive to Castle farms (I think shuttles may have been available) and right downtown. Over priced in my opinion, but this area is pricey in general. (Next time I would consider looking on kijiji or airbnb, some other guests found great deals here). Check in and check out was easy and pleasant. The place was generally clean, but found a bug or two (not bed bugs). The air conditioner was unreliable. It was too cold then hot in the room without it being touched. House keeping was abrupt. She tried to fix the air conditioning and said she would be back at one time, but returned an hour later than promised when I was sleeping (didn't find the tiny do not disturb sign until after). We asked for a late check-out, they gave us half an hour because they had a bus coming in, but they didn't tell house keeping who barged in and then snarked that they weren't told, then another house keeper came in 20 minutes later, we still had another 10 minutes. Overall, it was ok but the communication among staff wasn't good. Others had mentioned it was outdated, I agree somewhat but not horribly outdated. Breakfast was really good and had a vast selection compared to all the continental breakfasts I have seen. There was no elevator in our section, although there may have been in the other section, ask for a bottom floor if this is a problem. The pool was clean and heated, although I only sat by it, and I didn't get to use the hot tub which was in a different area. Overall, I would look around for other options if I was going again but if location is important, I would consider this one again now that I know the ins and outs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank iwillgothere

Dear iwillgothere,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. Castle Farms is a beautiful place for a wedding and since we are only three miles from the Castle many wedding goers stay with us. Our downtown location is great for guests to walk to downtown shopping, bars, and restaurants during their.

I am so sorry about the miscommunication between housekeeping and desk. We try to contact housekeeping so that they are aware of any late checkouts.

I have not heard of the two sites you posted. I always recommend that you check with us before booking on-line to see if there are any specials running during the time you are looking to stay with us.

We do have an elevator in the three story building where the Lake Michigan Suites and Jacuzzi rooms are located. The 8-person hot tub is also located in that building on the third floor.

I hope that you do come and stay with us again the next time you are visiting in Charlevoix the Beautiful.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

very friendly staff, older hotel but well maintained. new carpet comfortable beds. furniture a little dated but functional. fits the feel of "up north" Michigan. breakfast good for a continental and well monitored. staff made us feel very welcomed and appreciated

Room Tip: southern exposure balcony rooms have channel and town view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda M

Dear Linda M,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Weathervane Terrace Inn & Suites. Also, thank you for the tip about the southern exposure balcony rooms. Most of our guests request the northern exposure balconies toward Lake Michigan. It was nice to let the TripAdvisor readers know about the balconies toward the channel, bridge, and town.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to come back and visit us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlevoix
Charlevoix Inn & Suites
The Apple Tree Inn
The Apple Tree Inn
#5 of 15 in Petoskey
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey

Been to Weathervane Terrace Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!