“Room was nice but property needs refreshing”

Baymont Inn & Suites Canton
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Canton
Howell, Michigan
“Room was nice but property needs refreshing”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Upon entering main doors the first thing you see is bullet-proof glass registration station. This made me concerned for safety and uncomfortable. Room was great with nice size refrigerator and microwave. Internet speed was very good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Orlando
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This hotel was on par for an economy-level Marriott. On the positive side, the location was ideal for us. We were between Waterford, Tecumseh, Wayne/Elizabeth, Rochester Hills, and Adrian; the hotel provides easy access to I-275 North and South bound. Also, there are tons of choices for food in the area; not to mention the hotel shares a parking lot with Ikea. The hotel is clean; housekeepers did a good job when we requested service (which was no easy task considering our one year old). On the negative side, the walls are indeed very thin and should a neighboring room have their T.V. loud you will be able to hear what is being watched. The Front Desk staff, while helpful, had a tendency to disappear to the office/laundry area which was uncomfortable for guests arriving at the desk. More often than not the guest would have to shout “Hello?” to get the attention of the agent on duty. The bathrooms are very small with the shower & toliet separated by a door where the sink and vanity are stand-alone. My biggest complaint about the property was the breakfast selection. There was a fair variety of cereals and pastries; however the only way to get meat is by heating up and eating a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich. The scrambled eggs are folded over (omelet style) with barely melted American cheese – not very tasty at all; however hard-boiled eggs are available. The coffee was acceptable – always hot, and appeared fresh – available all day. I would stay at this property again, but it would need to be a deal.

Room Tip: First and second floor are outside access corridors! If you have a little one, best to request a thi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Carrollton, TX
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Our experience at Fairfield Inn was good. Room was clean, although rather small. Bathroom quite small as well but clean. Bed very comfortable. Weekday breakfast (free) was pretty good, weekend breakfast good, but lacked the hot eggs. Only issue was just the surprise that the Fairfield Inn has outside access to rooms vs. inside access on 1st and 2nd floors. I prefer inside access, especially in Michigan in January. Believe this hotel is pretty old, but all in all we were perfectly satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Appears the 3rd floor has interior access and there is an elevator.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
charleston
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I arrived at this hotel after a disasterous experience at another Ann Arbor hotel earlier in the evening with which I had a booking. I found this location, not terribly far from the U of M, with a vacancy during a football weekend in which there were NONE to be found. After being turned away from the hotel that I actually had a booking with, I was soooo very fortunate to happen upon this hotel. I enjoyed it's location with several eateries and convenience stores within walking distance and a terrific bar just across the street. The bar had a FANTASTIC bartender (Michelle maybe? A sweet blonde) that inquired your name and called you by it each time, even with a large crowd. So warm and friendly, with great drinks, crowd and lots of tv's to watch the games. The hotel had a lovely fireplace with a large flat screen in the lobby with ample seating to also congregate. They offer a nice breakfast in the morning also. The room itself had nice flat screens and comfortable beds. A great bonus was the microwave and fridge in room. Decent shower and toiletries. After the poor experience with the other hotel, this place was like heaven. Also, the friendly blonde at check in was a total 180 from the nasty clerk at the previous, different brand hotel. She was efficient, kind and helpful, even giving me a small discount on my room after learning of my horrible experience at the other hotel. Kudos to this property and it's staff. I will certainly stay here on my returns to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Rochester, IN
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Just a little background info.... I am a hotel snob. I would have rather been at a much fancier hotel, but as it was we had a great rate and we were only about a 20 minute drive from the stadium and had a pretty good experience overall. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room appeared very clean. The bathroom vanity set very low and I had to crouch down to brush my teeth. On a good note, the shower had plenty of water pressure. We left the tv on at night although I do not do that at home. We were pretty tired and thought it would help with sounds that I had read about in previous reviews. As good as what the room was I do not feel that it lives up to the Marriott standard. Most Marriotts I stay in are new and this is not quite what I had expected. All in all we would return for the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris M
East Alton, Illinois
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I was working in the area and looking for a hotel that had a good rate, the Marriott name, and close to good commuting routes. This is one of the best Fairfields in which I have stayed. The room was immaculately clean, the breakfast and some dinners were even provided and excellent quality. Their are an amazing amount of retaurants within 2 miles. Chilies, Applebees, Outback, Buffalo Wild Wings, and some upscale Japanese and Italian resturants. The room had both a refigerator and microwave, so for a long term stay, some meals could be prepared in the room. Right off of the freeway, it is only about 30 minutes from Detroit, 30 minutes from Ann Arbor, and 20 minutes from Dearborn. Canton, MI is a very nice town.

Room Tip: A room on the first floor allows you to park near the room, and enter without elevators or even goin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Berkeley, California
Reviewed October 4, 2011

i had a king sized bed in a small room in this class 1 Marriott, It also had a small fridge that was a nice surprise. . Was a bit of a small room but I'll survive. the staff was ok, no problem with them and the continental breakfast is very good, a lot better than some places. only problem i had here and one another Marriott is a strange knocking sound in the walls , or some place that happens at random . 5 minutes or ten minutes apart. I thought it might be the plumbing, called "water hammer' I think...or the fridge.After i lifted the faucet up just a little so it would slightly drip, and turned off the fridge the noise stopped..just a hint here if you get the same prob.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jibjab b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
Comfort Suites Canton
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#1 of 5 in Plymouth
Holiday Inn Express Canton
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Canton

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Canton? Share your experiences!