“Basic, Inexpensive, Clean.”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Canton
Champaign, Illinois
“Basic, Inexpensive, Clean.”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed here 2 nights. Like most others have said, this is a fairly basic, inexpensive hotel (under $25 via Priceline bid). Room had the mini-kitchen with full-size fridge w/ freezer, microwave, 2-burner stove-top, toaster, coffeemaker, plates and pans. TV was tiny with limited channels, wifi internet (which worked well) was a one-time fee of $5. No shampoo/conditioner included in the bathroom, so bring your own.

The room was clean, can't complain much there. Hotel location is perfect, about 10 minutes north of DTW right off I-275. Tons of shopping and restaurants within minutes of the hotel on Ford Rd.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
PlanetX
Reviewed May 19, 2008

The room was fine--no bells, no whistles. Staff was friendly enough. Lots of rough edges: tiny lobby, no frills. I was grateful for the fact it was clean. No free shampoos. No hairdryer. The kitchen in every room would make it a good choice for families trying to stretch a dollar. If you want a clean place in an okay area to spend a night, this is a good choice.

• Liked — cleanliness, friendly girl at front desk, kitchen is a plus too
  • Disliked — no extras. hard bed. no hairdryer.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
toronto
Reviewed May 2, 2008

A group of 9 ladies and I stayed at the Extended Stay in Canton, Michigan for a weekend sports event in Ann Arbor. Due to it being graduation weekend, we could not get a hotel in AA, so settled for the 25 minute drive from Canton.

We were pleasantly surprised to each be given a room, which included a full fridge, kitchen counter, sink, coffee maker, plates, cutlery, pots and pan and 2 burner element, full bathroom, queen size bed and colour cable tv, for the low price of $38 per night. My windows opened too.

We all enjoyed having our own rooms and the hotel is located next to a really nice Italian restaurant on one side and an Indian restaurant on the other 'side'. Shopping and other restaurants were close by as well. All in all a great deal for a weekend stay.

• Liked — the price
  • Stayed April 2008
New York
Reviewed November 20, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed here as an alternative to staying in Ann Arbor, MI (which is only 15 miles away) for the OSU vs. UMich game. I highly recommend doing this as opposed to staying in the overpriced Ann Arbor hotels if you are going to Ann Arbor for an event. I booked the hotel through Hotwire at $39 per night and was quite pleased when I received my room.

My biggest complaint was lack of staff when needed. There was no front desk person when I arrived and had to call for one. As it turned out, she was on break. Granted I checked in around 7pm, I felt there should have been someone at the front desk at all times.

As for the room itself, I received a room on the ground floor with a queen sized bed. The room was spacious and clean. Towels and linen were clean as well as the bathroom area. Unfortunately, the walls are thin and it's quite easy to hear your neighbors if they are loud talkers or in our case, we were able to hear one of our neighbors snore!

Internet usage requires a 4.99 fee which covers the entire length of your stay. Honestly, it should be free and it annoys me whenever hotels charge their guests for wireless internet services. I did not use any of the other amenities such as laundry facility, but the area looked clean and well-kept like much of the hotel itself.

Location wise, it stands right next to Carrabas, a great Italian chain restaurant and is nearby plenty of other restaurants as well.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Pa
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Our stay at the “Extended Stay America” hotel had both good and bad moments. The staff at the front desk was functional, but not real friendly. The motel was very good about making and changing reservations though. The air conditioning in the first room we had didn’t work, so they moved us to another room very quickly. The second room was a bit larger and the air worked fine, but the room was dirty and the shower curtain had mildew all around the bottom. The room also smelled very smokey, so my wife purchased some Lysol and “Fabrezze” at the local Wal-Mart and cleaned the shower herself. The halls were very dirty and there was a $4.99 charge for “in room” internet service for the length of your stay. We have stayed at many hotels across the country and have never had to pay for internet service. I think if you are a guest in their establishment then the internet should be free. There was no free continental breakfast in the lobby because each room has a small kitchen. There is no free newspaper, either out side your door or in the lobby. There is no dishwasher in the rooms so that meant all of the dishes have to be done by hand. Something we haven’t had to do in years. The prices are not much cheaper for all the little things you don’t receive at this motel. I don’t think we would stay there again except in an emergency. For my money I will stay at the La Quinta Inn across the parking lot. The cost is about the same and you get all the amenities.

• Liked — Ease in making reservations
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and internet charge
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Canton hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I was visiting friends in the area and didn't want to drive home so I stayed here on a Friday night. Got an internet rate of $49.00 for a king suite. Check-in issues - people in front of me had reservations but could not be found in the system (reservationist had them coming in two days later, finally resolved). I was given a handicapped room which I accepted until I found it had a bad smell. I asked to be switched. The only room left at that point was a queen suite. I waited for someone to physically go up and check if it was clean because it didn't show up in their system. None of this stuff was a particular bother to me, it was all handled well. It's more for reference than anything else. Anyway, after settling in I kept getting static electricity shocks everytime I touched metal because it was so very dry in there. Turns out the bed was very uncomfortable. Dried out and unable to sleep I tossed and turned all night. I suppose I should have got up and filled the tub and sinks to create some humidity. Any other time of the year, this would not have been a problem. The staff is accomodating and tries hard. Hotel was clean and quiet even though sold out. It's in a safe area with lots of stores and restaurants. All my issues could have been resolved except for the bed. If you are the type that can sleep anywhere, you may not have a problem with the beds. In that case, this hotel provides a lot for the money.

2 Thank Rodzwc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2004

Stayed the last two years here newer hotel full kitchen and recliner chair. Great for the Buisness travler or small family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
Baymont Inn & Suites Canton
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#1 of 5 in Plymouth
Holiday Inn Express Canton

Been to Extended Stay America - Detroit - Canton? Share your experiences!