“Clean, full kitchen, pets allowed, b'fast included, low price and great front desk personnel.”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Canton
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Canton
Canton
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Storms caused a power outage and like many others we needed a place to stay for a couple nights. For $60 we had a full kitchen, pets allowed, breakfast included, an updated clean room and great customer service from the front desk. I was hesitant reading some other negative reviews but I not only have no regrets I would stay here again. Not fancy but clean and nice. For those of you from out of town the hotel is right next to Carrabba's Italian, Ashoka Indian Cuisine, White Castle. Within a mile IKEA, Walmart, movie theaters, Bob Evans, Tim Horton's, Dunkin Donuts and many many other shops and restaurants etc. It's also easy on/off access to highway 275 and about 9 miles to the airport. Thanks Extended Stay, glad ur in the neighborhood.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lg2tb
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Canton, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that the storms caused a power outage; however, I'm very glad that you received great customer service, a nice clean room, and had no regrets. The shopping centers and restaurants are great in the Canton area. I'm very happy we're located in such a great area surrounded by so many great businesses.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Michigan
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I turned up on a Tuesday with no reservation and they were able to accommodate me no problems. I asked for the cheapest room possible and the receptionist offered me a room for 50 bucks. The receptionist was a middle aged lady who was just lovely by the way, she was from Sheffield, England.

Was given room 131 right by reception. I was a little scared given the price, wasn't sure what to expect. I walked in and it was large, had a kitchen in it (!) and a large bathroom. I have never stayed in a room with a kitchen in the room so I had a look around all the kitchen stuff...fridge, freezer. Everything clean and spacious. Glasses,, saucepans and cutlery were all provided in my "kitchen".

Checked the sheets, clean. Checked the bathroom, something urine looking sitting in the toilet but I wasn't going to cry over it for $50. Checked shower for any sign of pubic hairs...none. Walked into the bedroom area and my large window looked straight out onto the car park. Gave a little wave to a chap sitting in his car looking in at me through the window before drawing my curtains.

There was a nice big tv and coffee making facilities in my room. Also a second mystery door with a lot of sound coming from behind it. Sat on my bed, noticed I had a very few sheets for how cold it is in Michigan in November, so tried opening mystery door to see if there were sheets behind it but there was ANOTHER door that was kind of stapled shut. So I went over to a very old looking air conditioning unit which was under the window and drapes. Fiddled with the temp a little to increase the heat.

Now there was quite a big issue with this machine and it ended up keeping me up most of the night. It would blow hot air every 10 minutes (or cold if set on cool) and when it did this it made an awful kind of roaring sound and billowed the curtains up, allowing all car park inhabitants to peer at me through the window again.

I had a pretty disturbed sleep, due to being started awake every 10minutes thinking I was about to get landed on by a hovering helicopter (air conditioning unit) and due to the mystery door actually being the staff room. So the night staff, I assume were in there watching TV at 3am and taking their breaks in there.

In the morning I was awoken by what sounded like someone trying to mow the cement outside my bedroom window.

Overall it was a pleasant stay. I think I was unlucky with the location of my room but I don't begrudge the hotel for having to put their staff room SOMEWHERE. And the old air conditioning unit was annoying but I paid $50. AND got breakfast. The staff were lovely and friendly and seemed to enjoy working there.

I would stay again,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Independence, Missouri
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was a bad bad experience. Check in took forever, they didn't have the correct reservations, not only for us but also the couple we were traveling with. Then when we got to the room, looked like they hadn't cleaned it in months. We took pictures to the front desk to show and give them the opportunity to fix it, but they said "that's what is available, and because of a convention in town we would have a hard time finding another room in town". REALLY? You don't want to come take a look, try to clean it? The microwave has food in it, looks like a dog has peed all over on the floor, poop on the wall and hair on the toilet in the bathroom, food splatters running down the chairs? Really? Thats acceptable? I think I would rather sleep in the car. We would not consider staying there if it was free, that is how bad it was, and that was decided in just 10 minutes, can't imagine the 2 days we were booked for.

• Stayed November 2013

Travelers are raving about these Canton hotels

Canton, Michigan
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Overall my two-months stay was acceptable, the staff was always friendly and the room was comfortable, my recommendation would be clean the rugs or replace that and the A/C units because they are very old. I also had some issues because they didn’t clean my room the day established and the maid did not leave new soap or toilet paper and the room was not really clean. I would like suggest that if they say weekly complete housekeeping service, they must do exactly this.
The TV channels in general were boring. On the other hand every day there were people drinking in the parking lot behind the hotel and it does look a little unsafe and a couple of times I heard dogs barking during the night because pets are allowed.
My friend Klodiana at front desk was always very nice, friendly and she helped me with all what I needed I’ll miss her.
I would recommend the hotel for families or people who want something at a good price but not for business trip

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Canton, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that housekeeping missed your service and the channels did not meet your expectation. The housekeeping/cleanliness issues you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have inspected each room to ensure your experience is not repeated.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at can2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been staying here for extended stays due to work. OK - the rooms could use some updating. It would be great if the corporate office would invest in replacing the carpet and some other items in the rooms. Maybe even a few more cable channels. The rooms are clean and by watching the staff constantly running the laundry, I know the towels and linens are clean. Again, things are just worn and need updating or replacing. This is a very economical place to stay, so there is the expectation that there will be some trade offs in creature comforts. The location is great. But the biggest reason I have continued to stay here is the staff. The front desk staff is so friendly and welcoming - they make you feel part of a "family". They look out for you and want to ensure you have a safe and pleasant stay. The housekeeping and maintenance staff are just as friendly and helpful, as is the manager. They all work really hard to provide a great customer experience with the tools they have been given.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
It is so rewarding to read that you had a friendly and welcoming stay stay with us. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you letting us know that the carpet needs to be replaced and the channels did not meet your expectations. We are sorry for these issues, but are happy to read that we provided you with a home away from home.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I am a frequent customer to the Extended stay america hotel in Canton. One constant positive about the hotel is Klodonia, the front desk receptionist. She is always extremely pleasant and helpful. She is always attentive to the needs of the customers. She is the reason why I continue to return

1 Thank goccw
Canton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have never stayed in a more disgusting hotel room. The room smelled musky, as if someone was trying to cover up a smell with something else that smelled terrible. There was paint peeling around the window with layers of rust. The furniture looked jaded and the carpet was greasy and sticky. After an hour of trying not to touch the floor with my bare feet, I got fed up and went to the store and got sandals. I came back and took a shower and the tub was filling up with water with the drain open...I did not want to think about what was clogging the drain, but worse was the thought of the water touching my feet. When I got out, I grabbed a towel and the towel had stains on it and hair. I looked at all three towels and it was the same thing over and over again. Then, I looked down and saw pubic hair all around the tub and the floor. It looked like someone just used a rag and moved it around. I was grossed out and immediately tried to check out. Then, they had the audacity to charge me for one night, since I was in the room for more than an hour. I could not believe. If you have any concern of hygiene or cleanliness, please do not go here. The corporate office should care about this place tarnishing their reputation.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.