“Non-Smoking...really!?!”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Canton
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My wife joined me on a business trip to Michigan and we chose Extended Stay because the price was right and it had a kitchen. We ended up asking for a refund and going elsewhere because our first room reeked of stale cigarette smoke and the second wasn't any better. I can only assume that the hotel allowed smoking before state law prohibited it in 2010 and they haven't done a good job getting the smell out of the furnishings.

I would only recommend this place if you're on a budget and don't mind the smokey aroma.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed at the Extended Stay for two nights. My main reasons for choosing this location were that it was close to Ann Arbor without the Ann Arbor price tag, and that there was a refrigerator. I had stayed in Extended Stays before so pretty much knew what to expect: no shampoo, no blow dryer, no daily maid service - no big deal for me. I really liked having the full-size refrigerator and freezer, and the kitchen sink to use. There was also a two burner stove top, toaster, and a coffee maker. There were two bowls, plates, cups, coffee cups, and tableware settings. Also a colander, spatula, and paring knife. No pots or pans. That being said, it had everything I wanted for myself for this trip.

Everything in the room was clean, although there were stains on the floor, carpet, and counter. There were several carpet stains in the hallway as well. Basically, it's clean, just tired-looking. But for their prices I could not get too worked up about it.

Front desk staff and other employees that I saw were all very friendly.

Also, this location is very close to I-275 (2-3 minutes, depending on the light) but it was extremely quiet. I could not hear any traffic unless I was outside.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed here 2 nights. Like most others have said, this is a fairly basic, inexpensive hotel (under $25 via Priceline bid). Room had the mini-kitchen with full-size fridge w/ freezer, microwave, 2-burner stove-top, toaster, coffeemaker, plates and pans. TV was tiny with limited channels, wifi internet (which worked well) was a one-time fee of $5. No shampoo/conditioner included in the bathroom, so bring your own.

The room was clean, can't complain much there. Hotel location is perfect, about 10 minutes north of DTW right off I-275. Tons of shopping and restaurants within minutes of the hotel on Ford Rd.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2008

The room was fine--no bells, no whistles. Staff was friendly enough. Lots of rough edges: tiny lobby, no frills. I was grateful for the fact it was clean. No free shampoos. No hairdryer. The kitchen in every room would make it a good choice for families trying to stretch a dollar. If you want a clean place in an okay area to spend a night, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2008

A group of 9 ladies and I stayed at the Extended Stay in Canton, Michigan for a weekend sports event in Ann Arbor. Due to it being graduation weekend, we could not get a hotel in AA, so settled for the 25 minute drive from Canton.

We were pleasantly surprised to each be given a room, which included a full fridge, kitchen counter, sink, coffee maker, plates, cutlery, pots and pan and 2 burner element, full bathroom, queen size bed and colour cable tv, for the low price of $38 per night. My windows opened too.

We all enjoyed having our own rooms and the hotel is located next to a really nice Italian restaurant on one side and an Indian restaurant on the other 'side'. Shopping and other restaurants were close by as well. All in all a great deal for a weekend stay.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed November 20, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed here as an alternative to staying in Ann Arbor, MI (which is only 15 miles away) for the OSU vs. UMich game. I highly recommend doing this as opposed to staying in the overpriced Ann Arbor hotels if you are going to Ann Arbor for an event. I booked the hotel through Hotwire at $39 per night and was quite pleased when I received my room.

My biggest complaint was lack of staff when needed. There was no front desk person when I arrived and had to call for one. As it turned out, she was on break. Granted I checked in around 7pm, I felt there should have been someone at the front desk at all times.

As for the room itself, I received a room on the ground floor with a queen sized bed. The room was spacious and clean. Towels and linen were clean as well as the bathroom area. Unfortunately, the walls are thin and it's quite easy to hear your neighbors if they are loud talkers or in our case, we were able to hear one of our neighbors snore!

Internet usage requires a 4.99 fee which covers the entire length of your stay. Honestly, it should be free and it annoys me whenever hotels charge their guests for wireless internet services. I did not use any of the other amenities such as laundry facility, but the area looked clean and well-kept like much of the hotel itself.

Location wise, it stands right next to Carrabas, a great Italian chain restaurant and is nearby plenty of other restaurants as well.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Our stay at the “Extended Stay America” hotel had both good and bad moments. The staff at the front desk was functional, but not real friendly. The motel was very good about making and changing reservations though. The air conditioning in the first room we had didn’t work, so they moved us to another room very quickly. The second room was a bit larger and the air worked fine, but the room was dirty and the shower curtain had mildew all around the bottom. The room also smelled very smokey, so my wife purchased some Lysol and “Fabrezze” at the local Wal-Mart and cleaned the shower herself. The halls were very dirty and there was a $4.99 charge for “in room” internet service for the length of your stay. We have stayed at many hotels across the country and have never had to pay for internet service. I think if you are a guest in their establishment then the internet should be free. There was no free continental breakfast in the lobby because each room has a small kitchen. There is no free newspaper, either out side your door or in the lobby. There is no dishwasher in the rooms so that meant all of the dishes have to be done by hand. Something we haven’t had to do in years. The prices are not much cheaper for all the little things you don’t receive at this motel. I don’t think we would stay there again except in an emergency. For my money I will stay at the La Quinta Inn across the parking lot. The cost is about the same and you get all the amenities.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple