“Switched us from one smelly room to another”

La Quinta Inn Detroit Canton
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Let me tell you, I've stayed at many La Quintas. Their pet policy makes road trips affordable. However, my recent stay here has me questioning my loyalty. We asked to be moved to a new room after they checked us into a room that smelled strongly of smoke. They apologized and said there was one room left that they could move us to. It still smelled like smoke, and there was a cigarette butt outside on the window ledge. In addition to the smoke smell, there was a nauseating stale deodorizer smell masking it. Other issues: an old piece of chewing gum stuck to the shower wall and a missing deadbolt knob. The next morning, I talked to the GM, who apologized but fed me some line about how it was not cigarettes but actually "new carpet smell" that I had noticed. Apparently, another recent guest had complained about the same room, and she had personally gone up there to check it out. She told me that they take the non-smoking policy very seriously and do not hesitate to levy the $250 cleaning fee when the policy is violated. This leads me to two questions. First, if you knew the room smelled terrible, why did you continue to put guests in there before the problem was resolved? Second, you do know, right, that the cleaning fee is actually supposed to be used to clean the room? It's not just another revenue source! I was headed to a wedding that day, and upon checkout my worst fears were realized: my suit that I had just had dry cleaned reeked of cigarettes. How embarrassing!

• Stayed: September 2013

A La Quinta traveler
Beckley, West Virginia, USA
Reviewed September 17, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank A La Quinta traveler
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for about a week and it was a great experience for us! previously, we had stayed at a near-by Hotel, but this one was much better... Good service, friendly staff, Love their "La Quinta Returns" Program... I think the carpet and the applicances (microwave and refrigerator) could have been newer and better, but not a deal breaker.. Overall, would definitely stay here again and would also recommend it to others!

Room Tip: Join their Returns program and earn points!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here based on positive reviews from trip Advisor as Ann Arbor - Microtel Inn was sold out.

" + " : affordable almost cheap.

" - ": there was a strong smell that hits you once you open the room. Nauseating is not an exaggeration. Might have been because this 3rd floor room has not been rented recently..? - Supposedly the whole motel is smoke free but none of the rooms have the non smoking sign.

Bathroom was awful. Sticky floor; missing tiles :( on the wall sides. Bath tub and Toilet seat were oldddd. Needs replacement and the toilet bowl had scratches or stains  who knows..? As we were extremely busy put up with these and managed to stay for 3 nights. Breakfast was dull. Trash container in the lounge was over flowing all 3 days. Not my kind - never can stay again.

Room Tip: check your room before signing in !!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a great hotel for the money. Very nice beds as all the LaQuinta's we've been to have nice beds, nice room, nice staff, good breakfast, and great location with restaurants, and shopping close by. The stairwell and halls are showing some wear but overall very nice. We'll definitely stay here again.
Lit

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were so happy with our stay at this beautiful place. When we walked into the room we both said out load, Wow I love the decor. The room is decorated in blacks and whites. Also the breakfast which is free was very good with nice sitting area and good variety of food items. It is close to the airport so the Park & Ride is right across the street and was included in the price of our room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Facilityman
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This La Quinta was the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in! The elevator was sticky, my room reeked of smoke (in a smoke-free room), there was hair (pubic + regular) all over the bathroom, poop smudge in the toilet, and much more! If they didn't even clean the bathroom it made me wonder if they even cleaned the sheets! EW

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family