“Worst experience ever, do not waste your money...”
Review of Ichiban Steakhouse

Ichiban Steakhouse
Ranked #127 of 180 Restaurants in Canton
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Detroit, Michigan
“Worst experience ever, do not waste your money...”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is the 3rd chance I have given Ichiban in Canton and they have once again not failed to disappoint us. I eat at many Japanese steakhouses all over the country and this is by far the most poorly run and substandard I have ever experienced. However it is close to my brothers home so we continue to try it for ease of location.

First the service is terrible, the management is unprofessional in dress and conduct. The waitstaff is inexperienced and poorly trained. We were party of 6 for a 13th birthday. They forgot our sushi order until the meal was already in progress even though there were only 2 parties in the entire restaurant, (us and 2 other people) When they brought the sushi and rolls we ordered the wasabi was crusted over like it had been sitting out all day on a plate and they just threw a roll on it. The rolls were small and tasteless. The chef did his best with what he had to work with but after our experience with management I understand why he is not happy with his job.

We ordered 6 high end meals of filet and shrimp and scallops and one Hibachi Chicken after the chicken was completed it was inedible. It was gristly and tasteless you couldn't even eat it. (I have never had chicken with gristle before it was BAD) We asked for the manager, a smallish woman came to the table she could see that none of the chicken was eaten, she appeared to be unable to speak English, she removed the plate from the table and never returned. We lit candles sang happy birthday she ran out of the bar with a broom and started hitting a disco ball that was above the table because it was broken, she did not say one word to our party and disappeared again when she couldn't fix the birthday ball.

We asked for the check and when it arrived the chicken meal was still on the check. She walked by to set another table and we asked her if she was going to adjust the bill for the meal that we did not eat because it was inedible. She said no, there was nothing wrong with it.

$150 check for one meal of $15. which was inedible and she felt that was the best customer service she could muster and she didnt even have the customer service training to come to our table and tell us. I eat Japanese at least once a week. Ichiban Canton will never be one of the places I dine at again in my lifetime nor will I ever recommend it to anyone. I will absolutely tell everyone that will listen that is restaurant should and will go out of business. For the cost of the meals and the poor customer service this place will not last. And it should not. I have always wondered why it is always empty when you cannot even get in the parking lot of other Japanese restaurants. NOW I understand completely. I tried to send an email to their corporate office to let them know about the poor management however it appears that these are individual franchises and no one really cares what they do or how they treat people, they are just capitalizing on the trend of Japanese steakhouses, providing sub-par product until there is no more money to be made at the expense of consumers. Shame on the owners of this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Smith51163

Canton
“Great Food”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This restaurant is a nice addition to the Canton community. The food and staff are great and the price is reasonable.

Visited March 2012
Canton, Michigan
“Poor quality”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I found this eatery is dark and dirty. The menu offered nothing really special and the service takes forever.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank russtroy
Ann Arbor, MI
“Hibachi Grill Entertaining and Good”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Ichiban is a fairly typical Hibachi Grill Japanese restaurant. The average plate is around $20 and the portions are decent. I say a lighter eater can share a combo with a child (though they charge you $6) extra. I'd recommend the shrimp and scallop. If you order beef, do not go beyond medium as it gets a little dry. The yum yum sauce is good with everything.

The chef does the usual knife tricks, spinning of egg, volcano, etc. A little extra routine maybe they squirt Sake at you as you chug it down. The service was good and fast. The only disappointment maybe the soup. It's not miso. The disco ball comes on once in the while. A little odd. and out of place.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank bcsystems
Orlando
“Great Dinner!”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife, and one year old daughter had the pleasure of having dinner at Ichiban one night during our week in Michigan. Although it was the weekend, we had no problem getting a seat. We were nervous that our little one would not do well, but the chef did a fantastic job at keeping her entertained. The food was so good, we ordered it to-go on the last night of our trip!

Visited February 2012