“Ok to Stay but wouldn't go back”

Hampton Inn Suites Detroit-Canton
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Canton
Ottawa, Ohio
“Ok to Stay but wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Check-in was miserable and room wasn't what I expected...let's just say not the most pleasant area to be in. The people or whomever was above my room didn't have the consideration of others.

Room Tip: Just don't stay if you plan on getting no sleep
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank vmaag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Garden City, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

This hotel was HORRIBLE! I blocked a bunch of rooms for my family and friends after our wedding. My husband and I met with the General Manager/ Group Coordinator many times before the wedding and had everything all planned out including the shuttle.

When I got there the night before my wedding I was told that I could pay with cash at check out,(it was a wedding present) and that they would only keep my debit card number on file. Also many things were broken in the room when I called the front desk they said we will get to it tomorrow. I woke up the morning of my wedding to a note under my door saying come to the front desk your credit card was denied. The lady at the front desk was loud and rude when explaining the problem to me. All of my family turned and looked at me standing there in my curlers and pajamas with tears in my eyes. She said that they have to run the credit card and that the information we were given was wrong. The bill needed to be paid when I checked in, but paying it right now would be allowed. 5 hours before my wedding they wanted me to track down the person paying for my room and get it paid. I ended up paying cash for the room right then and there. Needless to say I spent the first 2 hours of my wedding day crying due to the lack of communication and knowledge of the staff. I was on the phone with the General manager crying to her because they had screwed so much up ( mind you she called my room and I got charged for it). After getting that issue resolved I found out that the shuttle had not been booked (even though we had finalized those plans). The hotel offers free shuttle rides to all of their guests until midnight, but I was supposed to pay to get my guests back to the hotel. My guests were told, as they were waiting for the shuttle that the bride refused to let them take the shuttle. So not true it was supposed to still be free to them, I just wasn't going to take it!!

We got back to the hotel on our wedding night and the broken things in our room had not been fixed my husband was told, "maintenance is gone what do you expect me to do?" My brother and his wife walked into their room to find out that someone already had it. They charged my cousin the full amount of her stay on two different credit cards. One of which she had on file and the other she used to buy something downstairs. That took 2 weeks to figure out. The front desk staff was rude to every person that stayed there for my wedding.

When meeting with the General Manager: She walked out of her office smiling and said, " I brought the contract to proove that I am not lying." Wow great opener considering more than half of the problems we had were with the hotel and staff not the contract. As I started telling her how rudely treated I was the morning of my wedding and how I had been crying she started to laugh and said, " really you didn't sound like you were crying when I talked to you on the phone." Wow how can you not tell that someone is incredibly upset when they are bubblering on the phone and repeating I should be happy this is my wedding day. She never once said I am sorry, I will look into that, is there anything we can do... none of that. When we mentioned that our cousin was double charged she instantly printed out the receipts with full credit card numbers, ahhh I do believe that is illegal, and said something to the effect of i don't know what happened. Throughout the entire meeting with her she smiled and laughed at me. Finally I was so upset that I just said, "you refund our room and i am leaving. I will not be laughed at anymore."

This is not the way I wanted to spend my first couple days as a married woman. I was actually so worked up by what happened at the hotel I closed my veil in the door and ripped it 4 hours before my wedding and had to go out and buy the first one that I saw. This was not how I wanted to remember my wedding night.

Do NOT book with this hotel for an event!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jacqueline K
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

What can i say but this is a very nice Hampton. Close to the freeway (I-295) and plenty of near by restaurants and shopping if needed. Lobby was very clean as was the bedroom.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PWolfson
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

When i went to this hotel, i felt as if i was in heaven! The breakfast was outstanding. Also, the location was very convenient because it had an Ikea, a Lifetime fitness and a very good indian resteraunt near called Ashoka. Meijer was close by too. The rooms were in perfect shape too, the beds were very comfy and the TV had many channels too. My only complaint is that the view from my room was a highway, but otherwise, i would 100% recomend it. :)

Room Tip: Most rooms are in good shape but to be sure, be nice to the front desk. Also, get a room facing the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Walls a bit thin... But super clean .. The BEST breakfast!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen M
Georgetown, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is one of the nicer Hampton Inns I stay at with very nice rooms, good service and an overall pleasant experience.
The Managers reception is very well done and the location is very convenient for my purposes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

Room flooded no credit given for stay! The staff simply said "sorry" the breakfast is really nice a d the rooms ate updated. 1st time i had a problem thete and stayd 4 weeks in a row.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank busyfamonthemove
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
Comfort Suites Canton
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#1 of 5 in Plymouth
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth

Been to Hampton Inn Suites Detroit-Canton? Share your experiences!