“Service Better than Food”

Michigan House Cafe & Brewpub
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Calumet
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We ate dinner here twice within a weekend. The service was excellent both times, and the unique decor gives one lots to look at and contributes to the warm ambiance. On the first visit my husband really enjoyed his entree. My fish fry was OK, but the batter on the fish was a little gummy and the fries were lukewarm and wilted; it seemed like perhaps it had cooled off before it was served.

On our second visit my husband's hot drink was only warm when it arrived; our waitress immediately took it back when we caught her eye. It seemed like a bit of a wait, but ultimately it was returned at the proper temperature. There was a noticeable delay after our salads had been served, and I noticed entrees being served to another table that had been seated after us. Our waitress came over just then, said she had just checked with the kitchen and that our entrees would be up soon. A few minutes later she delivered them. My husband was pleased with his ribs, although the way they were served (cut into 2-3 rib sections, on top of a bed of waffle fries, in a soup bowl) made them a bit difficult to eat. My entree was OK but quite bland and in need of seasoning overall.

Some hits, some misses. Upon returning to Calumet, I wouldn't rule out eating here again, but I would be more in favor of exploring other dining options.

There are newer reviews for Michigan House Cafe & Brewpub

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Love the old world charm of this place. Food is great and service is always friendly. Different types of handcrafted beer and a good wine selection. Homemade chips and wonderful desserts. Eat here when ever we get the chance

1  Thank Cathy W
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Incredible historic place with excellent craft beer menu with my favorite German beers. Hefe- Weiss fantastic woodwork and stained glass windows. Great place to visit

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

This place is cool and made me feel back in time. Very cool lightning decor and old bar. They had the best burgers I liked the house burger. Great drinks love the local brews. You need to try dessert the best Germany chocolate cake and apple dumpling.

1  Thank goattie420
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Excellent sandwiches, home made potato chips and fast friendly service. You can't ask for more on a cold winter afternoon. We'll be back the next time we're in the area.

1  Thank computrtchr