“Bike trail accessible and bicycle friendly”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Cadillac
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Bike trail accessible and bicycle friendly”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I found the last July 28 Cadillac MI available hotel room. I needed only a shower, towel and clean bed at the end of a 110 mile bicycle ride. I had no need to be choosy. I was so pleasantly surprised at the better than economy accommodations. There is a trail section exiting Sunnyside that allows you stay off the M-115 roadway. There is an ice cream shop/beverage/convenience store, several restaurants and Lake Cadillac within a stone's throw of the Cadillac Econo Lodge. The room was clean and fresh. There were plenty of clean towels and the room was nicely equipped including a refridgerator. The lovely hosts securely stowed my bike in the hotel maintenance room. Complimentary breakfast choices provide perfect fuel for the return trip. The hotel stay exceeded my expectations. I thank the friendly Econo Lodge Cadillac MI hosts. I recommend this hotel for the trail weary. The Cadillac MI Econo Lodge stands with the 2.5 - 3 star hotels I visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marcia P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed on the 4th of July for a few nights. I loved the location, got a room on the highway side with a side view of the lake. Enjoyed the discount at the restaurant next door (along with frequent flyer miles there), walked around the lake. Listened to a jazz band in town along the lake. Saw fireworks from my balcony, which I shared with many mosquitoes. Visted the Historical Museum.

Room well maintained, quiet. Price - well, the price I was quoted was great. What was on my bill was $4.95 higher (but the difference in price gave me enough points to finish earning a free room in Rome for my Italian/Holy Land cruise in December. So, I guess it's a matter of perspective. Fight for the $10 bucks and have to book another night in a Choice Hotel before the fall, or pay the $10 and get a "free" room in Rome. Not worth argueing.

But the staff were alternatively very nice and then a bit rude - to each other, not the guests.

Breakfast OK, usual lower price carb fest. Balconies nice.

Return to Cadillac - you bet. Here - well, let's see what the stated price is (and then add $5) when comparing this place to the Days Inn. I like the location, and Cadillac seems full of motel dumps like the Rodeway, so maybe. But it wuld be better if they actually charged what was on the resrvation without having to fight for it.

Room Tip: Highway side for the views, upper floor for balcony. Rear for quiet, lower floor for at door parkin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Saginaw
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The Econo Lodge in Cadillace isn't fancy or new, but it's clean and updated. It has friendly front desk staff and the wi-fi speed rocked! It's economical and in a great location. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy1816
Flushing, Michigan
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Very nice. Well renovated, clean, power outlets for chargers, round table works as desk, lawn chairs outside, exterior and interior doors, free WiFi, coffee maker, fridge (no micro). Lake across the street (too bad I'm not here to fish!). And yes, they have FoxNews.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank CableSux
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Bed Bugs!!!! Terrible rooms!!!! Smelt like curry, dirty carpets. I can't believe this is an Econo Lodge with such dirty carpets and rooms. The supposed owner named Jack talked the place up over the phone and then when I arrived wouldn't give my money back and told me what should I expect. Do yourself a favor and stay well away.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank John L
Scottsdale
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is my third time here in three years. The rooms have been repainted since my last visit. Lots of maintenance and renovations going on. Looks like new fridge, but old a/c window/wall unit. Manager said new carpeting is probably the next project.

Wi-fi signal very strong (even in my end unit room) and download speed of just over 16mb, which is faster than I have ever seen in a hotel. I especially like having both an interior entrance and a sliding door to the patio/parking lot.

Good water pressure in shower, free breakfast wasn’t much (but about what expected). Overall, a very pleasant stay. Next year will probably be visit #4 and I’ll be expecting even more improvements.

Incidentally, the Frosty Cup restaruant about a quarter mile down the road (across the bridge) is a pretty good inexpensive place for breakfast or an ice cream dessert after dinner.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank BJDealer
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I had work in Cadillac so I needed a cheap place to stay and through a membership discount, this hotel had the cheapest rate. The hotel is definitely on the older side but it appears to have been modified and updated through the years. The hotel actually has an outside balcony area which I had never seen before at an Econolodge.

The room I had for two nights was clean by all accounts, just dated from the 1970s. I rip the beds open before I start unpacking my luggage to check for bugs or other gross stuff and I found nothing. The hotel's in-room A/C worked well enough and the wireless Internet was pretty good in terms of speed. The breakfast was on the lighter side but that is par for the course with an Econolodge.

So long as you're only looking for a hotel to sleep and take a shower in, this will fit the bill. It is not the greatest place to "hang out" in though but I don't think any hotel in Cadillac would meet that criterion. The hotel's location is very convenient to the State Park area and its nice DNR Visitor's Center and beautiful walks by either Lake Cadillac or Mitchell.

Stay here for the value and not for the coziness/quaintness of the room itself.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business