“Great For Families”
Review of Caberfae Peaks

Caberfae Peaks
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Cadillac
More attraction details
Owner description: Skiers and snowboarders will enjoy the big hills and great snow conditions at Caberfae Peaks. Offering 6 lifts and 34 slopes, Caberfae Peaks was voted the #1 ski value in Michigan. In the summer months, Caberfae offers a beautiful venue for wedding receptions and other banquets, along with a 9 hole golf course.
Merrillville, Indiana
“Great For Families”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I Totally disagree with the other reviews of the Lodge area. We have been going to Caberfae for several years and absolutely love it. The staff and Owners are great and have done everything possible to help us every single time we have been there! We enjoy bringing a "packed" lunch or crock pot to help our family save money and Caberfae Peaks understands that, not like most other resorts that do not allow food brought from home. While we are out Skiing/boarding other people sit at the table our crock pot is on and eat their lunch. As far as I am concerned it is their table as much as anybody else's and there seems to be no problem when ever I have been there. We absolutely Love the place.

Visited December 2013
Pete M, General Manager at Caberfae Peaks, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Gregg S: Thank you very much for your positive comments and thank you for skiing and snowboarding with us!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Crazy lodge situation”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had the same experience with the ridiculous lodge situation as a previous reviewer. There are about 20 tables in the bottom section of the main lodge, which would be nearly sufficient given the size of the hill. However, folks arrive early and place all of their gear and even table cloths on these tables in an effort to "reserve" them for their family the entire day. This leave little to no seating for others who simply want to sit down to rest and warm-up or maybe grab a bit to eat from their cooler. If you do happen to sit at one of these "reserved" tables when it is unoccupied and one of the persons who was saving it arrives, they will ask you to leave (and potentially get upset). This is ridiculous and results in most of the tables going unused for most of the day while others scramble around to find a seat. At every other ski lodge I have been to, you sit in the seats that are available for the length of time you need them, and when you are done you leave and let someone else sit there.

This issue is clearly a management issue as this practice of "reserving" tables would never be tolerated at other ski resorts; especially not on busy weekends and holidays. You would also not see people bring their skis and snowboards into the lodge. Management needs to take charge and provide the type of oversight needed to change the culture in the lodge that would provide a better experience for everyone who skis there.

However, if the management at Caberfae finds nothing wrong with guests "reserving" tables they are missing a golden opportunity to make some extra $$$. Since people clearly like the ability to save a table they can use at anytime throughout the day, Caberfae should charge a fee for the privilege of reserving them.

Just beware that on busy weekends you will be hard-pressed to find a seat in the main lodge.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank JerryB89
Pete M, General Manager at Caberfae Peaks, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
I am very sorry about your negative experience. Please note that we dedicate more square footage for skiers and snowboarders that pack their own lunches than any other ski resort in Michigan. We dedicate the entire lower level of the lodge, along with a second lodge (Skyview Lodge) to guests that pack picnic lunches and crock pots. The Skyview Lodge is often underutilized and has plenty of space and open seating. We do not allow picnic lunches or ski equipment to be brought to the upper level of our main lodge, so there is often plenty of space and seating on this level, even on busy days. We are a family oriented ski area, and try to make it affordable by allowing our guests to bring in their own food. However, based on the two comments that we have recently received, we will reassess how the lower level is managed. Thank you again for visiting and for your feedback.
Indianapolis, IN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Dec 2013”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Although the overall experience: skiing, staff and conditions were all right; the restaurant/ lodge was horrific. There is limited number of seating on first floor and EVERY inch of it taken by bags, coolers, crockpots (?!), etc. You can see people pulling in parking in the morning and start unloading ungodly amount of baggage like they came to eat not to ski. Which made me stand in the middle of the room with crying child on my hands because her feet hurt while all those pretty coolers and crockpots, that people left in the morning and headed skiing, sitting comfortably on the chairs and benches. What a shame. Either rules need to be set for people over things or I am picking another resort next time.

1 Thank InernationalTraveler
Thank you for visiting our resort and thank you for your feedback. In the future, please note that we do have a second lodge that we allow people to bring in their picnic lunches. It is called the Skyview Lodge and is located right next to the beginner hill. This lodge is underutilized and almost always has empty tables.
Caledonia, MI
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Skiing = greatLodging = yuck”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? I have bee a member of trip advisor for years. I value the input members provide and come here when looking to book anything. The other reviews were spot on. The skiing and sights were great. The lodging is awful. I checked each morning and I did not see one housekeeper change the blankets, gross. The room is so poor, the bathroom is dilapidated, you can't even let the water run in the sink without it filling up to the top in 5 seconds. Our tub barely drained, there wasn't even a phone in the room. The lodging is absolutely one of the worst places I've ever stayed. I wouldn't come back for anything. I have no problem paying more for better accommodations. We've been to Tree Tops Resort, The Homestead and Shanty Creek for skiing. Stay anywhere else, because you can always drive there just to ski. The equipment for snowboarding is so old and used, it was in poor condition at best. The two younger girls in the ski rental area were uneducated and lacked personal relation skills. The manager was rude and I expect no less when he comments on this review.

Visited December 2013
Denver, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Winter Wonderland”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I was there for New Years Eve and the food was great and at midnight they had skiers come down the mountain with flares. It was so pretty. They grounds a amazing.

Visited December 2012
Thank you for visiting and Happy New Year!