“Wonderful Secret of Cadillac”

Hermann's European Cafe
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Cadillac
Cuisines: American, German, European
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jenison, Michigan
“Wonderful Secret of Cadillac”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I travel to Cadillac frequently each year. I usually stay at my Grandparent's old farmhouse that is vacant. My father stays at Hermann's. This year my husband and I stayed at Hermann's one night to be closer to where we needed to be in the morning. Well we loved it so much we stayed a second night too.
The room was very spacious with a chair and couch for relaxing during the day. The bathroom was huge and outfitted for a wheelchair/someone with disabilities if need be. But the sturdier bars were incorporated into the design, holding towels for example. The colors were great, a lot of blues and florals and a lot of European artwork on the wall. Very clean. A lightswitch for total room right by the bed so you don't have to walk through the dark. The hallway was decorative incuding a skylight and articles about Hermann ie Hermann was the personal Chef of the Royal Family in Nepal years ago.
You can enter from the street level which opens up right into stairs or you can enter via ramp walkway from the back where most of the parking is off of the alley. (if you walk a little further up the hill and turn back, it is a beautiful view of the Lake) The hallway area smells delightful and that carries into the room. It is built into an old building, painting the brick or adding wall paper in some cases for a more modern look.

We ate in the bar area one night to watch a football game. There is also a main more fine dining atmosphere and a deli/butcher/wine/European candies and snacks shopping area. Our service was great, the food was amazing especially the Morel Mushroom Soup. Hermann is a delight.
I love this place and will definitely be back.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Megan A

Ludington, MI
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were treated like royalty here! Chef Hermann is a delight, the food was the best ever, and the service was excellent. We also stayed at his hotel (above the restaurant), which is amazing, too. It's spotlessly clean with big rooms and huge suites that are beautifully decorated. There's even a great deli, nice wine shop and you can buy some of his delectable menu items to make at home. He's a divine chef, as well as a really nice person.

• Visited November 2013
Poulsbo, Washington
“Definitely Better Than Chain Restaurants”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

We were in Cadillac the second week of September, for family affairs. We ate out often. After the first two days, we quickly tired of fast food and chain restaurants, so, based on TA reviews, we went to Hermann's. Despite service being a little sketchy (new waitress, I think), we enjoyed a very nice lunch. The food selection was interesting and all very good. For the area, this is probably one of the best restaurants they have. If you are coming from somewhere with lots of special restaurants, you might be disappointed, though. While the meal was good, to me it was not memorable, as I can't remember what I had, a month later. A little more spendy than the other local places, but one has to expect that for hand-made food. (Versus mass produced, using prepackaged).

Visited September 2013
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Wow! First time, but not the last.”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Gonna make this real easy to decide for the next person.

Atmosphere - We walked in and the place was not what I expected. The décor left something to be desired, but maybe that is the charm of the place

My wife and I sat in a booth which was very intimate for a day out away from the three rugrats.

Service - Our server was top notch, suggesting when asked and making small talk. She was always mindful of our needs. We tipped her 25%. Even the bus staff was very friendly. I like the small town feel of this place.

Food - Appetizer was Potato Pancakes, they serve them with sour cream and apple sauce, neither of which I liked, but they were the bomb with some good ole Ketchup!!! I liked them so much I asked for the ingredients

Dinner we order the 2 small plates - Chicken Picata and Steak. Steak melted in your mouth and the chicken picata was super delicious. not a crumb left on either plate.

Also they brought roles and bread. the Evoo, garlic Parmesan cheese was great.

Price - - We spent 40 w/o drinks plus tip we walked out for under 50. But we were full, satisfied and bragged about the place for weeks since

• Visited September 2013
Okemos, Michigan
“Thanks to Hermann and staff!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

An hour after enjoying the lunch special of soup bar and sandwich (excellent and generous maple ham), we realized that we'd left a purse in the Chef's Deli. We were headed out on a two-week trip, no plans to return to the area. We found the number and called; the purse was there, but they were closing in 15 minutes. A helpful motel owner near Frankfort suggested they take it to the nearby police station, to which they agreed.

An hour later we knocked on the glass door of the station and roused an officer, but no purse. But a fireman knew Hermann's last name and helped us look up the home number. Mrs. Suhs put us on hold and used her cell phone to locate Hermann. A few minutes later Hermann was meeting us in front of the restaurant, purse in hand. The staff had not been able to get the attention of anyone at the police station, but they let him know the problem. Purse was returned and we were back on track for our vacation!

The Cadillac area has to have some of the friendliest, most helpful citizens anywhere. We look forward to returning. THANK YOU!

• Visited September 2013