“Terrific lunch stop”

Hermann's European Cafe
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Cadillac
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have to go to Cadillac for work once about every quarter. On one of my recent trips up there, a couple of colleagues asked me to join them for lunch here. I was not disappointed.

It is actually more than a restaurant. It has the main dining area, along with a deli and a butcher shop. The deli and the main dining area share a menu.

I enjoyed this restaurant so much that I just recently dined there again. On both occasions, the staff was friendly and offered recommendations. There is a wide array of sandwiches, burgers, etc. But the place is known for its Austrian/German cuisine. While I have yet to try the European fare (which I have heard is excellent), I can attest to the lunch menu. I had a Chicken Gyro on one visit and the Hermann Burger on the other. I think one of the best offerings is their Sandwich and Soup Combo. It allows you access to the soup bar. I have to say that I have not found a better cream of mushroom soup than at this place. The creamy butternut squash is also fantastic. All of Chef Hermann's soups are homemade recipes. And you can tell when you taste them. I think the restaurant offers a very nice variet on menu items, and the prices are very reasonable given the quality of food.

Chef Hermann can also be seen in and around the dining area. He is very personable and you can tell he loves what he does because it shows in the food. Great spot. Give it a try!

There are newer reviews for Hermann's European Cafe

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We went there because my friend highly recommended the place for their mushroom soup. Unfortunately it was Sunday and only the deli was open. We ordered "combo" of soup and sandwitch. We had an Italian sandwich and a veggie wrap. Italian sandwitch was good. The problem was the vegetables. Sautéed veggies contained pieces of burnt black stuff, and they were at least the size of cracked wheat. We opened up the wrap and saw many pieces black stuff. There was a big piece which was about 1 inch. I suspect that the pan does not get cleaned each time and had burned pieces. We told one of the staff about what we had and all she said was that she was sorry. The total bill was way more than we anticipated, but the staff person said that there was no combo today. When we ordered, we specifically said that we wanted a combo of soup and sandwitch, and nobody said that they do not serve combo that day. We were extremely disappointed with our experience since it was a place that our good friend recommended. We will never go back there again.

2  Thank eeeberry
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We live in Grand Rapids but have occasion to travel North for pleasure and business. When our travels take us near Cadillac we always try to deviate and make it to Hermann's for lunch! Yesterday we stopped in for another excellent meal. We started with cups of the morel soup which is rich, creamy and delicious. We always start with the morel soup. I keep saying one day I will try another soup but I never do... We had salads, mine was the spicy mango chicken salad. You can have the chicken fried or grilled. I like the crunchy grilled chicken. Ask for extra spicey dressing on the side...Yum! No room for dessert. Yes this place is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. This is not a fast food joint. Fresh ingredients...freshly prepared. You get cloth napkins and attentive uniformed waitstaff even at lunch time. We are never rushed. You can dine in the main dining room or in a booth in the cozy bar area. The attached Deli is great if you want take out or if you just want to stop in for a quick bowl of soup. Sometimes I take one of their monster cookies to go. There is also a butcher shop and wine shop. This is fine dining in a small town.

Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Recomend shating dishes as every course has some standouts but you won't make it to dessert without limiting yourself to just a few bites of each. The soups (either morel or french onion ) were wonderful but filling. The grilled halloumi cheese salad was fantastic. If you like schnitzel ( the real deal) , both the wiener abd the jaeger were delicious. And, the raspberry tart, should not be missed. So back to how i started - share !

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The food was delicious if you leave your calory counter at home. The menu is full of exotic foods and the deserts are out of this world. The atmosphere is quite continental and one can even enjoy the sidewalk cafe.

1  Thank Angie G