“Always stop here for the best Walleye in town!”
Review of Blue Heron Cafe

Blue Heron Cafe
Ranked #4 of 66 Restaurants in Cadillac
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Blue Heron serves an excellent breakfast and lunch in large proportions; they are not open for dinner. Food is always fresh and unique. Daily lunches include a choice of 2 homemade soups w/complimentary homemade sourdough bread and a variety of sandwiches on homemade sourdough bread or wraps. Salads are always freshly made and filled with fruit, vegetables, and/or meat with tasty dressings. Two baker's display cases are filled each morning with fresh cookies, fried cakes, muffins, bagels, pies, cakes, and a large variety of sweet rolls, baked on site. Customers congregate there for coffee and a choice of doughnut or cookie. Their breakfasts are hearty and delicious. The owner is the cook, and it is a treat to find such a high quality restaurant in this small tourist town.
Arizona
“Always stop here for the best Walleye in town!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Cozy, nice view of lake, same staff year to year. I didn't pick the 5 star review this time, because there was an odd unpleasant smell in the dining room. Maybe cow manure?

Visited October 2011

“Always a must whenever we are in the area. EXCELLENT baked goods!”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We always have to stop for donuts or bagels at least once when we are in the area. Delicious! They have muffins, danishes, bread, cookies, etc. as well as coffee and hot breakfast and lunch items. They also do birthday cakes, wedding cakes, catering and much more! Family owned with a quaint, small-town atmosphere where the staff is always friendly and the service is good.

Visited September 2011
McHenry County, IL
“Sandwiches and salads for the gluten-free guest!”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I had the smoked salmon sandwich and it was available on gluten-free bread; THAT NEVER HAPPENS at your normal, meander-in diner experience. The staff is friendly and attentive. While the decor and atmosphere is low key but pleasant, the food is freshly prepared and the regular baked goods are a big draw.

• Visited September 2011
mid-Michigan
“Breakfast: Very Good; Service: Not So Much”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We've had enjoyable breakfasts and lunches here before, so when we took our Florida nephew on a day trip to northern Michigan we thought this would be a great place to stop for breakfast.

We walked in to see a knot of people crowded around the bakery counter, demanding service, so we were prepared to wait a bit until they'd been served...but then we waited...and waited...and waited. Finally a server came from the counter; she neared our booth, gave us a long stare -- and then went into the kitchen. No other staff came to greet us. The girl finally emerged from the kitchen -- and started to bus another table. We tried to get her attention, but she went back to the kitchen with the dirty dishes. Another server passed by; we tried to get her attention; no luck.

When the teen server came out of the kitchen again, we were finally able to flag her down: "Is there someone available to wait on our table?" asked my partner. The girl shot us a look, silently handed us menus and walked away. Oookay.

Finally -- FINALLY -- a pleasant older female staffer came to our table, apologized for our wait and took our orders.

And our breakfasts turned out to be very nice. My partner had the Tuscan omelet, which is also one of my favorites -- ham, white cheddar, apples and carmelized onions. Our nephew ordered the Big Country Breakfast, which is pretty much what it sounds like -- eggs, meat, potatoes and toast -- and I had some really delicious sourdough pancakes (a rare menu item around these parts!) with fruit compote and real maple syrup.

But we really didn't enjoy the meal as much as we should have, on a beautiful summer morning en route to the Sleeping Bear Dunes, because of the initially slow and surly service. I understand that summer help is what it is...but seriously, Blue Heron, if your staff keeps treating customers badly, they won't come back, no matter how interesting and good your food may be. It was especially embarrassing to subject our visiting nephew to this rudeness.

When the teen server emerged from the

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Michigandress
Cadillac, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unsanitary”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I just want to say that this is one of the grimiest places I have ever been. I took my parents out to eat here based on the online recommendations and it was absolutely disgusting. I found a strand of hair in my food, upon this discovery I wanted to take a look at the cook (don't tell me you wouldn't do the same) so when a waitress came out of the back, she left the door open and I was horrified. The floors were nasty, the cooks looked like they hadn't showered in days and they had their hands all over the food. Whoever is overseeing the cleanliness of this place is doing a horrible job! I actually ended up just leaving I didn't even want to eat my food after seeing that.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank TOscar87

Been to Blue Heron Cafe? Share your experiences!